AA batteries no longer the trend?

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions
Ring A Senior Member • Posts: 1,269
Re: Spare batteries can be left in checked luggage...

Doug Pardee wrote:

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

Spare batteries can be left in checked luggage.

Same is true of lithium. The prohibited quantities are very high, something on the order 300 W-H total batteries, with no battery bigger than 100 W-H. That's 25 DSLR batteries, or 6 high-capacity laptop batteries.

Those size limits are for carry-on. Lithium batteries of any kind cannot be left in checked luggage unless installed in equipment. Spares must be in carry-on. This requirement is to allow the flight crew to quickly notice and handle any problems that might result.

Lithium ion batteries can become unstable and explode but most of the time that occurs during charging not storage. And most of those that have exploded were either after market batteries or after market chargers.

Everything you want to know about batteries.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com

See the first paragraph on this page:
http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

-- hide signature --

'I don't necessarily believe everything I say'!

Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,509
Yes to AAs

RedFox88 wrote:
See, there are very valid reasons for AA batteries.

I think so too.

I got over 1300 shots on my first set of AA batteries in a new camera (yes, Li type), but the camera was so dependable that it has become my grab-and-go camera for almost every occasion. I actually replaced the batteries for a big trip, so I still don't know how many shots I could have gotten on them.

We've bought 2 plastic baskets to hold all the chargers we have accumulated just for those wonderful Li-ion batteries, and then we have to find the right charger (3 for Canon cameras alone) and be sure we've got a couple of charged batteries before going anywhere.

I recognize that AAs are not the trend, but my new AA camera has changed my thinking.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,255
Re: No to AA's

RedFox88 wrote:

T3 wrote:

I don't know why anyone would want AA batteries in compact cameras. OEM rechargeable batteries are so much better. They are a fraction of the size and weight of AA's, pack a lot of power, last a long time, have more compact chargers, and the one battery that comes with the camera is the most that 99.9% of compact camera users will ever need. If you need a bit more juice, just carry your charger with you, which are tiny. When you have a bit of downtime, just charge your battery up some more.

But what happens if you forget to charge your battery and it's near dead or has sat for a while and has become dead and you want to use the camera right away? You're SOL unless you have a 2nd battery, which the average P&S user probably won't have.

In the time it takes you to run out to a store to buy some double AA batteries, you can have an OEM battery charged up enough to take at least a hundred shots. Heck, even a recharge of just a couple minutes is enough to take several shots. A 60 second charge can be enough for a shot or two. So there goes your "what happens if you forget to charge your battery" argument. The simple answer is to just charge it! A quick juice up good for a quick shot. And a "near dead" battery is still good enough to still use "right away." It's just not as big an issue as you're making it out to be. It's just a lot of FUD. Besides, in today's day and age, there are so many devices that people can use to take a shot "right away", including cell phones, that it makes your argument even weaker in real life. If there's a situation where we need to take a picture "right away", someone's always got a P&S camera ready to use or a cell phone camera ready to use. Just not a big deal.

Heck, most AA chargers are larger than the compact P&S cameras that those batteries are going into!!!

Chargers? Who said anything about chargers? I have several family members that use standard AA batteries in devices and don't deal with rechargeable batteries. They buy a huge box and always have them if needed. Plus AAs can be bought practically everywhere around the world. Plus they are cheap compared to a special li-ion battery that might cost $30 to $60.

Yeah, that's great for the environment! Where do you think that "huge box" of AA batteries ends up? In a landfill, where the battery acid leaks out. One reason why people prefer to use rechargeable batteries is because it's environmentally better than using throw-away batteries! Over the course of the their life, your family members will go through hundreds of throw-away batteries, or many "huge boxes" of throw-away batteries that end up in the trash. You must be so proud of your family! Yeah, you're probably snickering, saying "I don't care about the environment! I love driving the least fuel-efficient cars I can find and consuming as many throw-away batteries as I possibly can throughout my life!" Sad. Really sad.

And btw, just a few AA batteries takes up more space and weight than most OEM rechargeable batteries with their charger!

 T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Alwina H Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: No to AA's

I admit I have a DSLR (not the compact camera mentioned below), but first thing I noticed was that my flash uses the same AA batteries as my camera. They share the same charger and one spare set of AA's serves for both.

The AA's Lithiums that came with my camera rest in my car. They take virtually no storage room there. If I ever run out of juice, I plan to use them. I heard from others that they are good for 1000-2000 pictures, so after shooting a wedding with them I'll put them back in my car for the next occasion.

My AA-charger is far from enormous compared to the charger of my Sony camera. In fact they are almost comparable in size; but the Sony charger just charges one device. I already had to buy a new battery for my camera, since it did not perform very well anymore, while my current 4 AA's should do fine for the next 50 years / 500 000 shots. (Take a fraction of that if you disagree.)

That's my experience. I agree that AA's were so-so until a few years ago, but since we have Eneloops and Recycko's they are great.

T3 wrote:

I don't know why anyone would want AA batteries in compact cameras. OEM rechargeable batteries are so much better. They are a fraction of the size and weight of AA's, pack a lot of power, last a long time, have more compact chargers, and the one battery that comes with the camera is the most that 99.9% of compact camera users will ever need. If you need a bit more juice, just carry your charger with you, which are tiny. When you have a bit of downtime, just charge your battery up some more. In comparison, a couple rechargeable batteries and its charger is enormous compared to the OEM rechargeble battery and its respective charger. Heck, most AA chargers are larger than the compact P&S cameras that those batteries are going into!!!

myst-vearn wrote:

I have a Canon S3 IS which is very good considering its an ultra zoom, takes good pictures, has a stereo mic. Only problem it has a lower res video setting. I spend more of my time using the camera as a makeshift video camera and taking pics on the fly. I wanted to upgrade to the newest canon SX40 HS but it does not use AA batteries instead some Li-on battery. I've used the camera search function on dpreview's website and it seems that there is no camera with fully articulated LCD, single lens which uses AA.

Are cameras using AA batteries dying or manufactures are keen to get us to spend more on some proprietary battery? Or are proprietary batteries better compared to AA? At least if I'm not using my camera with my rechargeable eneloop's could be used in a range of other devices if they are not used in the camera.

The reason I don't use a proper dSLR, is because:
a) my workplace has good dSLR's but...

b). I hate carrying a huge beg full of lenses. Already I see my smartphone replacing a lot of my candid photo takes. Hopefully someone figures out why we are not getting the Altek Leo phone soon.

-- hide signature --

A.

exp1orer
exp1orer Senior Member • Posts: 2,813
then why most flashguns use AAs?

T3 wrote:

I don't know why anyone would want AA batteries in compact cameras. OEM rechargeable batteries are so much better. They are a fraction of the size and weight of AA's, pack a lot of power, last a long time, have more compact chargers, and the one battery that comes with the camera is the most that 99.9% of compact camera users will ever need. If you need a bit more juice, just carry your charger with you, which are tiny. When you have a bit of downtime, just charge your battery up some more. In comparison, a couple rechargeable batteries and its charger is enormous compared to the OEM rechargeble battery and its respective charger. Heck, most AA chargers are larger than the compact P&S cameras that those batteries are going into!!!

myst-vearn wrote:

I have a Canon S3 IS which is very good considering its an ultra zoom, takes good pictures, has a stereo mic. Only problem it has a lower res video setting. I spend more of my time using the camera as a makeshift video camera and taking pics on the fly. I wanted to upgrade to the newest canon SX40 HS but it does not use AA batteries instead some Li-on battery. I've used the camera search function on dpreview's website and it seems that there is no camera with fully articulated LCD, single lens which uses AA.

Are cameras using AA batteries dying or manufactures are keen to get us to spend more on some proprietary battery? Or are proprietary batteries better compared to AA? At least if I'm not using my camera with my rechargeable eneloop's could be used in a range of other devices if they are not used in the camera.

The reason I don't use a proper dSLR, is because:
a) my workplace has good dSLR's but...

b). I hate carrying a huge beg full of lenses. Already I see my smartphone replacing a lot of my candid photo takes. Hopefully someone figures out why we are not getting the Altek Leo phone soon.

-- hide signature --
Ring A Senior Member • Posts: 1,269
That's a very good point!
-- hide signature --

'I don't necessarily believe everything I say'!

photojoe55 Contributing Member • Posts: 610
Re: That's a very good point!

We're still talking about batteries right? The Nikon D700 & D300, and the MB-D10 uses AA's OR Nikon's EN-EL3a LI-on but you still need AA's for the SB-900 & SB-800 (and many other) flash units. I think AA's will be around for the rest of (our) lives. I buy them when they're on sale just out if habit anyway... Joe

 photojoe55's gear list:photojoe55's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Panasonic G85 Panasonic GH5 +22 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,018
Re: No to AA's

T3 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

T3 wrote:

I don't know why anyone would want AA batteries in compact cameras. OEM rechargeable batteries are so much better.

Yet most likely you would not need to "run out" to get AAs as they are standard and if you relied on AAs you would have a supply.

But what happens if you forget to charge your battery and it's near dead or has sat for a while and has become dead and you want to use the camera right away? You're SOL unless you have a 2nd battery, which the average P&S user probably won't have.

Heck, most AA chargers are larger than the compact P&S cameras that those batteries are going into!!!

Chargers? Who said anything about chargers? I have several family members that use standard AA batteries in devices and don't deal with rechargeable batteries. They buy a huge box and always have them if needed. Plus AAs can be bought practically everywhere around the world. Plus they are cheap compared to a special li-ion battery that might cost $30 to $60.

Yeah, that's great for the environment! Where do you think that "huge box" of AA batteries ends up?

I've found that not everyone is very environmentally friendly. In general I've found those with kids under 18 and married are more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed, and throw away when dead. Because having to charge batteries and know what has been charged and when is another thing to complicate their lives. Just my observation.

beshannon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,216
Re: AA batteries no longer the trend?

myst-vearn wrote:

AA batteries no longer the trend?

i was unaware that AA batteries ever WERE a trend.

Maybe that is why this thread continues to survive on the NEWS forum?

 beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Nikon D800E Nikon 1 J4 +3 more
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,255
Re: then why most flashguns use AAs?

Because overall size and compactness are not a key issue with strobes. Strobes, by their nature, need to be a physical size to begin with (to reach a certain height above the camera body). With compact cameras, the operative word is "compact". And compact cameras can be made much more compact by using OEM batteries. Notice that there aren't any cell phones that use AA batteries. Why? Because a cell phone that used AA batteries would be too large and heavy! So the reasons that cell phones use proprietary batteries are much the same reasons why compact cameras use proprietary batteries.

But I've often wished that my strobes used the same rechargeable batteries as my DSLR. However, the obvious problem with that is that not all DSLRs, even within the same brand, use the same batteries. I use Canon, and the Rebel DSLRs use a different battery than the 60D/7D/5D MKII, while the 1-series batteries use different batteries as well. I'd love to be able to stick my LP-E6 batteries into my Canon strobes. It would be just so much more convenient. Loading two LP-E6 batteries would be easier than loading four AA batteries. Plus, LP-E6 batteries have an internal chip that gives very detailed data on how much power is left, which would be useful for a flash just as it's very useful for a camera body.

exp1orer wrote:

T3 wrote:

I don't know why anyone would want AA batteries in compact cameras. OEM rechargeable batteries are so much better. They are a fraction of the size and weight of AA's, pack a lot of power, last a long time, have more compact chargers, and the one battery that comes with the camera is the most that 99.9% of compact camera users will ever need. If you need a bit more juice, just carry your charger with you, which are tiny. When you have a bit of downtime, just charge your battery up some more. In comparison, a couple rechargeable batteries and its charger is enormous compared to the OEM rechargeble battery and its respective charger. Heck, most AA chargers are larger than the compact P&S cameras that those batteries are going into!!!

myst-vearn wrote:

I have a Canon S3 IS which is very good considering its an ultra zoom, takes good pictures, has a stereo mic. Only problem it has a lower res video setting. I spend more of my time using the camera as a makeshift video camera and taking pics on the fly. I wanted to upgrade to the newest canon SX40 HS but it does not use AA batteries instead some Li-on battery. I've used the camera search function on dpreview's website and it seems that there is no camera with fully articulated LCD, single lens which uses AA.

Are cameras using AA batteries dying or manufactures are keen to get us to spend more on some proprietary battery? Or are proprietary batteries better compared to AA? At least if I'm not using my camera with my rechargeable eneloop's could be used in a range of other devices if they are not used in the camera.

The reason I don't use a proper dSLR, is because:
a) my workplace has good dSLR's but...

b). I hate carrying a huge beg full of lenses. Already I see my smartphone replacing a lot of my candid photo takes. Hopefully someone figures out why we are not getting the Altek Leo phone soon.

 T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,255
so much for your "observation"

RedFox88 wrote:

I've found that not everyone is very environmentally friendly. In general I've found those with kids under 18 and married are more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed, and throw away when dead. Because having to charge batteries and know what has been charged and when is another thing to complicate their lives. Just my observation.

And yet I've found that the sales of cameras with proprietary rechargeable batteries overwhelmingly outsell cameras with AA batteries. So apparently, your assertions and conclusions regarding the "convenience" of AA batteries hasn't applied to the sale of cameras. How many compact cameras use AA batteries? The top selling compact cameras all use OEM batteries. How many DSLRs use AA batteries? The top selling DSLRs all use proprietary OEM batteries. Furthermore, you'll also notice that no cell phones use AA batteries either. And few if any mp3 players use AA batteries these days either. The use of proprietary rechargeable batteries in today's compact electronic devices is overwhelmingly preferred in the marketplace. If it weren't so preferred, then we'd be seeing a lot more of today's high tech electronic devices using AA batteries. In fact, people are quite used to charging their devices (cell phones, mp3 players, tablets, laptops, cameras) and it certainly has not impeded the sales of these devices. If your conclusions where true, then "kids under 18" wouldn't want iPods, iPod Touchs and iPhones because they are "more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed". So much for your argument and "observation" that charging batteries is too complicated for people's lives.

 T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 25,418
Re: No to AA's

RedFox88 wrote:

I've found that not everyone is very environmentally friendly. In general I've found those with kids under 18 and married are more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed, and throw away when dead. Because having to charge batteries and know what has been charged and when is another thing to complicate their lives. Just my observation.

Environmental waste is no small thing. Just because many people are ignorant to being environmentally conscious doesn't make it right.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,018
Re: No to AA's

Mark B. wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

I've found that not everyone is very environmentally friendly. In general I've found those with kids under 18 and married are more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed, and throw away when dead. Because having to charge batteries and know what has been charged and when is another thing to complicate their lives. Just my observation.

Environmental waste is no small thing.

Dude we're discussing batteries not politics or the environment. Get on topic.

T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,255
Re: No to AA's

RedFox88 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

I've found that not everyone is very environmentally friendly. In general I've found those with kids under 18 and married are more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed, and throw away when dead. Because having to charge batteries and know what has been charged and when is another thing to complicate their lives. Just my observation.

Environmental waste is no small thing.

Dude we're discussing batteries not politics or the environment. Get on topic.

Dude, where do you think your boxes full of batteries end up when you're done with them? Spent batteries don't just magically evaporate into thin air when you're done with them! LOL. What a fool. Millions of spent batteries and their relevance to the environment definitely do have a place in this discussion. And it isn't just about what happens to dead batteries after you've used them. The production of millions of throw-away batteries also has an environmental impact as well. These separate batteries come in separate packaging, too. Multiply this by millions of products and millions of purchases, and it definitely does have an environmental impact. Just imagine if every DSLR and every compact camera only used AA batteries, instead of the rechargeable OEM batteries they currently do! Millions and millions of cameras powered by millions and millions of throw-away batteries. If you think this has no environmental consequence and is not pertinent to this topic, then you are truly a fool!!

 T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Ring A Senior Member • Posts: 1,269
Re: so much for your "observation"

T3 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

I've found that not everyone is very environmentally friendly. In general I've found those with kids under 18 and married are more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed, and throw away when dead. Because having to charge batteries and know what has been charged and when is another thing to complicate their lives. Just my observation.

And yet I've found that the sales of cameras with proprietary rechargeable > batteries overwhelmingly outsell cameras with AA batteries.

But that's because most cameras today use proprietary .... phew, tough one

So apparently, your assertions and conclusions regarding the "convenience" of AA batteries hasn't applied to the sale of cameras. How many compact cameras use AA batteries? The top selling compact cameras all use OEM batteries. How many DSLRs use AA batteries? The top selling DSLRs all use proprietary OEM batteries. Furthermore, you'll also notice that no cell phones use AA batteries either. And few if any mp3 players use AA batteries these days either. The use of proprietary rechargeable batteries in today's compact electronic devices is overwhelmingly preferred in the marketplace. If it weren't so preferred, then we'd be seeing a lot more of today's high tech electronic devices using AA batteries. In fact, people are quite used to charging their devices (cell phones, mp3 players, tablets, laptops, cameras) and it certainly has not impeded the sales of these devices. If your conclusions where true, then "kids under 18" wouldn't want iPods, iPod Touchs and iPhones because they are "more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed". So much for your argument and "observation" that charging batteries is too complicated for people's lives.

-- hide signature --

'I don't necessarily believe everything I say'!

Ring A Senior Member • Posts: 1,269
Re: No to AA's

T3 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

I've found that not everyone is very environmentally friendly. In general I've found those with kids under 18 and married are more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed, and throw away when dead. Because having to charge batteries and know what has been charged and when is another thing to complicate their lives. Just my observation.

Environmental waste is no small thing.

Dude we're discussing batteries not politics or the environment. Get on topic.

Dude, where do you think your boxes full of batteries end up when you're done > with them?

in the garbage?

Spent batteries don't just magically evaporate into thin air when you're done with them! LOL. What a fool. Millions of spent batteries and their relevance to the environment definitely do have a place in this discussion. And it isn't just about what happens to dead batteries after you've used them. The production of millions of throw-away batteries also has an environmental impact as well. These separate batteries come in separate packaging, too. Multiply this by millions of products and millions of purchases, and it definitely does have an environmental impact. Just imagine if every DSLR and every compact camera only used AA batteries, instead of the rechargeable OEM batteries they currently do! Millions and millions of cameras powered by millions and millions of throw-away batteries. If you think this has no environmental consequence and is not pertinent to this topic, then you are truly a fool!!

-- hide signature --

'I don't necessarily believe everything I say'!

T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,255
Re: so much for your "observation"

Ring A wrote:

T3 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

I've found that not everyone is very environmentally friendly. In general I've found those with kids under 18 and married are more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed, and throw away when dead. Because having to charge batteries and know what has been charged and when is another thing to complicate their lives. Just my observation.

And yet I've found that the sales of cameras with proprietary rechargeable > batteries overwhelmingly outsell cameras with AA batteries.

But that's because most cameras today use proprietary .... phew, tough one

There used to be plenty of cameras that used AA batteries. But as time went on, the ones with proprietary batteries outsold the ones that used AA batteries. And since manufacturers prefer to make products that sell well, cameras with these proprietary batteries eventually overtook the ones with AA batteries. And THAT is why "most cameras today use proprietary" batteries. In other words, cameras that use AA batteries lost the battle, and cameras with proprietary batteries won out.

 T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,255
Re: No to AA's

Ring A wrote:

T3 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

I've found that not everyone is very environmentally friendly. In general I've found those with kids under 18 and married are more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed, and throw away when dead. Because having to charge batteries and know what has been charged and when is another thing to complicate their lives. Just my observation.

Environmental waste is no small thing.

Dude we're discussing batteries not politics or the environment. Get on topic.

Dude, where do you think your boxes full of batteries end up when you're done > with them?

in the garbage?

Exactly. And where does garbage end up? It doesn't magically disappear either. Apparently, RedFox88 isn't quite as sharp as you are. LOL. Plus, let's not ignore what it takes to produce all those throw-away batteries, too. They don't magically appear out of thin air either.

 T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 25,418
Re: No to AA's

RedFox88 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

I've found that not everyone is very environmentally friendly. In general I've found those with kids under 18 and married are more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed, and throw away when dead. Because having to charge batteries and know what has been charged and when is another thing to complicate their lives. Just my observation.

Environmental waste is no small thing.

Dude we're discussing batteries not politics or the environment. Get on topic.

Well "dude", disposable versions of AA batteries are a huge disadvantage as far as I'm concerned. The discussion concerns advantages & disadvantages of batteries, so it's absolutely on topic.

Mark

Ring A Senior Member • Posts: 1,269
Re: No to AA's

T3 wrote:

Ring A wrote:

T3 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

I've found that not everyone is very environmentally friendly. In general I've found those with kids under 18 and married are more into convenience of having batteries to grab whenever needed, and throw away when dead. Because having to charge batteries and know what has been charged and when is another thing to complicate their lives. Just my observation.

Environmental waste is no small thing.

Dude we're discussing batteries not politics or the environment. Get on topic.

Dude, where do you think your boxes full of batteries end up when you're done > with them?

in the garbage?

Exactly. And where does garbage end up?

In the East River?

It doesn't magically disappear either. Apparently, RedFox88 isn't quite as sharp as you are. LOL. Plus, let's not ignore what it takes to produce all those throw-away batteries, too. They don't magically appear out of thin air either.

-- hide signature --

'I don't necessarily believe everything I say'!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads