Do some people not realize the X10 is a point and shoot ??

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions
snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: Do some people not realize the X10 is a point and shoot ??

HAHAHAH. Posts like this always make me chuckle.

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Isn't there a Leica that is based on the 10.1Mp LX5? Sure it's built more ruggedly, * but just like the LX5 could be considered a poor man's Leica, so could the X10.

millsart wrote:

Thats is, its not going to replace a Leica, or be a poor man's Leica,

ship2007 Junior Member • Posts: 45

From the x10 samples, I am disppointed by their IQ at low iso. I expected it is better than xz-1 in IQ for its 2/3 CMOS. But it is not good as xz-1 in low iso. When using xz-1 inside rooms, usually the iso of xz-1 is just at iso 200 for its fast lense.

noobdprseller Regular Member • Posts: 437
leica can only dream

That they came out with X10
If Leica had released X10 Leica users would be doing handstands.

Once handled & used X10 is a class or two classes above Dlux5 (titanium) Lx5.
X10 would be a consummate companion to any Leica M.

-- hide signature --

HCB "Photography has not changed since its origin except in its technical aspects, which for me are not important."

noobdprseller's gear list:noobdprseller's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 4800 Zoom Sigma DP1 Samsung TL500 Olympus PEN E-P1
voz Regular Member • Posts: 372
Right on the money

I fully agree.

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,682
Very well put

millsart wrote:

EVF's have gotten pretty good and the one on the X100, as well as the Oly VF2 and Panny GH2 is very useable, sometimes even better than optical in low light. Havne't even got to try the 2.3meg Sony OLED yet.

However, no matter how good an EVF is, I still fee like I'm looking at a tiny TV. Makes me feel removed from the scene.

With an OVF, especially a RF, or even a big bright external finder, I feel like I'm there, in the scene. I look through and past the OVF, as if its not really there and feel connected to whats happening.

Sounds silly maybe but I just find a big difference in looking at a display, or literally looking through some glass and "being there" so to speak.

Exactly how I feel. I might quote you in the EVF vs OVF discussions...

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,586
Maybe some truth there.

I guess to some things up, we all have different needs and requirements when it comes to photography, the X10 so far in the short time i have had it is proving good.

trouble is the weather has been crap, so i have not tested the way i would like to, but confident its there IQ ect.

I have had the G12 and P7100 both excellent cameras, why i did i get rid of those i hear you ask, well i fell in love with the X10, having had loads of Fuji cameras over the years felt it would be a winner.

I liked the G12, and if i could afford to keep it i would have, i actually miss it, but i have the X10 now which the Nikon/canon funded, so i am happy thus far. I guess im like Ben and some others that own several systems. I cannot say the IQ of the Fuji is as good as the G12 its a close run thing, but if i did not have the X10 i certainly would have the G12.

I have not said a lot about the Nikon P7100, although an excellent camera, a step up from its predecessor, i much preferred the canon, thats my personal preference.

I never get to carried away with new cameras, as they have a nasty way in biting you on the Bum, time will tell, but for me i guess im happy with the fuji X10 its not the most jaw dropping camera out there, but it serves a purpose. I dont use the OVF as i wear glasses and prefer to use the LCD nowadays, which gives me a better hit rate and can see whats in focus.

So what i say what ever you have be happy have fun, because thats what its all about and if you dont like the camera get something else, one has to be happy with ones purchase. catch you later regards Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Pentax KP Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +8 more
turnschuh Regular Member • Posts: 275
Re: Maybe some truth there.

What do you guys think about the manual zoom on a compact camera?

For me thats one of the big reasons to go for the x10 (beside bokeh and fast AF).
I hate the electronic zoom on compacts.

turnschuh's gear list:turnschuh's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon 24mm F1.8G ED +1 more
connectivity, photgraphic experience, poetry

turnschuh wrote:

For me thats one of the big reasons to go for the x10 (beside bokeh and fast AF).

Holding that gorgeous metal body, looking though that bright sharp viewfinder, manually moving the metal barrel lens to where i want, feeling coonected to what i am seeing, experiencing the moment, pressing the metal shutter mmmmm.

-- hide signature --

HCB "Photography has not changed since its origin except in its technical aspects, which for me are not important."

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,586
Re: Maybe some truth there.

turnschuh wrote:

Have not tried mine yet.

I use to hate them like you, but have got excellent results, the latest being far better than the older EZ compacts

-- hide signature --

Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Pentax KP Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +8 more
Daniel Lauring
Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,263

At a pixel peeping level the XZ-1 might have an advantage in bright light because it's conventional bayer array doesn't require as much interpolation to monitor output vs. the unique sensor array in the X10. If that is the most important thing to you than maybe the X10 is not the ideal camera for you. I have different priorities which the X10 does better at, than the XZ-1.

ship2007 wrote:

From the x10 samples, I am disppointed by their IQ at low iso. I expected it is better than xz-1 in IQ for its 2/3 CMOS. But it is not good as xz-1 in low iso. When using xz-1 inside rooms, usually the iso of xz-1 is just at iso 200 for its fast lense.

Daniel Lauring
Re: Do some people not realize the X10 far exceeds the capability they need?

A better question to ask is "Do some people not realize the X10 far exceeds the capability they need?"

People have lost perspective of how far we've come with digital photography.

About 10 years ago the question started being asked what resolution we needed to exceed film. Film had been adequate for years before. The consensus was that at about 6Mp, digital equaled resolution of standard film and 20Mp exceeded the best films with the best lenses. More importantly, 6Mp far exceeded the capability of much of the equipment used by conventional photographers. You needed expensive prime lenses stopped down, and pictures printed at huge sizes, to show any difference.

Since then the capability of digital has gone even further...especially in low light. Digital is now far, far superior to any silver halide film we ever had in low light...many times superior.

All this capability isn't necessarily wasted, or unnecessary. It opened a world of photography to us. It also yields more "headroom." Headroom being the cushion we have to extract a picture out of a bad situation or from a photographer's mistake. We can extract pictures from lower light situations that we never could have before. We can pull out enough detail from a picture that wasn't cropped.

Another technology that has made a HUGE difference in the ease of photography is image stabilization. People are not nearly as steady as they think and, in my experience, 90% of soft photographs are related to camera shake, vs. improper focus. When used properly (not pushed to crazy limits) IS can make a bigger improvement in most people's handheld photography, than two or three times the megapixels.

Back to the X10. Is it the highest resolving camera? No. Can it take pictures in lower light than any other camera? No. But, is it more than adequate for 99.99% of the photography most people will do. H_ll YES!

Finally, keep in mind is the best camera for a picture is the one you have with you. For me, at least, I'm much more likely to have a camera with me the size of the X10, than the size of a semi-pro SLR with fast glass.

So, "Does the X10 far exceed the capability most photographers need, most of the time?" Yes.

That is the question one needs to ask oneself when buying a camera.

photoforfun Veteran Member • Posts: 6,084
Correction: X10 is...

...a revolutionary compact cam, not a point & shoot.

One day -not so far away-, any point and shoot will be better than my today pro DSLR.
--
Kindest regards,
Stany
http://www.fotografie.fr/
http://www.fotografie.fr/fotoforum/index.php

I prefer one really good picture in a day over 10 bad ones in a second...

buckshot
buckshot Veteran Member • Posts: 9,959
Re: Correction: X10 is...

Stany

that is a hoot

One day -not so far away-, any point and shoot will be better than my today pro DSLR.

Maybe in IQ ... maybe

-- hide signature --

JB
I am not a photographer, I’m just a guy that takes pictures.
http://buckshotsimageblog.blogspot.com/

buckshot
Common sense?

millsart

You can't throw the wet blanket of common sense over an X10 fire and hope to put it out ... in the end truth will prevail but for now let's sell all our gear and buy an X10

PS Your point is well taken by many.

-- hide signature --

JB

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,144

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Back to the X10. Is it the highest resolving camera? No. Can it take pictures in lower light than any other camera? No. But, is it more than adequate for 99.99% of the photography most people will do. H_ll YES!

So only 0.01% of people need more than 112mm of focal length or less than 28mm's?

I'd be embarrassed to write something like that.
--

http://fujifilmimages.aminus3.com/

beteen evolution & revolution Re: Correction: X10 is...

buckshot wrote:
Stany

that is a hoot

I think X10 is the only digicompact with manual zoom and non tunnel big bright ovf. As such it is somewhere between evolutionary & revolutionary.

Im also trying to think of any other digicompact that does X10's accurate focus tracking 10fps.

-- hide signature --

simplicitywins Forum Member • Posts: 72

Daniel,

Thanks for that! I often think about that too.

Daniel Lauring

Needing more focal range is certainly a reason to select a different camera. I was referring to image quality, vs. focal range. Obviously for birders, the X10 is completely inadequate.

I hesitate with this next comment, but it is a pet peeve of mine since coming back to this forum.

People need to stop being mean spirited in their replies and leave the comments related to specifics of the argument, and not resort to backhanded insults or name calling. A proper, polite response would be to say something like, "Don't forget the people that need more or less focal length than 28-112mm. Surely, that is more than .01% of the photographing public." That argues to the objective data, without implying that the original poster should be embarrassed for his gross misstatement.

A little civility goes a long way on forums. Once people start getting nasty things go downhill fast which is exactly what I'm seeing here at dpreview.

rattymouse wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

So only 0.01% of people need more than 112mm of focal length or less than 28mm's?

I'd be embarrassed to write something like that.
--

http://fujifilmimages.aminus3.com/

Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373
You say you want a revolution . . .

Well, you know
We all want to change the world

You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world

But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out?

Don't you know it's gonna be
Alright?
Alright?
Alright?

noobdprseller wrote:

. . .

I think X10 is the only digicompact with manual zoom and non tunnel big bright ovf. As such it is somewhere between evolutionary & revolutionary.

Even very sligth improvements that could be applied to any of Fuji's cameras, such as making the insides of lens barrels less reflective could be considered to be somewhere between evolutionary and revolutionary. Revolutionary is more appropriately applied to the X100. The X10 is more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Im also trying to think of any other digicompact that does X10's accurate focus tracking 10fps.

Series 1 does it better, faster, although with a really large lens mounted it won't be so compact any more.

buckshot
Re: beteen evolution & revolution Re: Correction: X10 is...

noobdprseller

Evolution is going back to a nice OVF? Hardly! It is about time we had it in a P&S

Does that make it more than a P&S? It is nice but it is just a good feature on a P&S camera

-- hide signature --

JB

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads