NEX7 and wide RF lenses only

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions
paulcurtis Regular Member • Posts: 217
NEX7 and wide RF lenses only

I apologise for starting another thread on this but i want to focus specifically on wide angles on the NEX 7, not on reviewing styles or what sony should and shouldn't be doing.

Can we collate any other examples on wide angle lenses on NEX 7 with the colour shift so we can see how much of an issue it really is and from what focal length? As people get their NEXes soon then perhaps this will be easier.

For me, i use a lot of wides, down to 12mm so it's personally very important and right now i'm probably going to get a 5N (I have a 5 now) instead. That level of colour shift is unacceptable for a camera of that price. Sony made numerous nods to the NEX7 being the perfect camera for rangefinder lenses, i can't believe they could drop the ball after getting so much right!

If only they could put the 5N sensor into the 7!

many thanks
Paul

paulcurtis's gear list:paulcurtis's gear list
Sony a7S
Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,613
Just buy the 5N

I am looking VERY forward to the 7.

I could care less if my Leica glass works well on it.

This thread should be merged with the other
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Canon G1 X III Leica Q2 Nikon D4 Sony a6600 Leica M9
OP paulcurtis Regular Member • Posts: 217
Re: Just buy the 5N

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

I am looking VERY forward to the 7.

I could care less if my Leica glass works well on it.

This thread should be merged with the other
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg, this is my point and why the thread shouldn't be merged.

I'm happy you're looking forward to it but I DO CARE that my existing collection of lenses - from voigtlander, canon RF, Zeiss, Leica etc,. DO WORK on the NEX7 better than they do on the 5N.

There are many of us using NEXes as rangefinder replacements with everything from modern RF lenses to vintage lenses. Not everyone is happy with E mount lenses.

All the other threads degenerate into a 'what sony is doing' argument. That is not my point.

thanks
paul

paulcurtis's gear list:paulcurtis's gear list
Sony a7S
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,582
Re: NEX7 and wide RF lenses only

There is so little out there on the 7 that's any more than playing around with a demo camera, that I think you'll just have to wait and see. It's still looking to me like at least a few people will have their first-batch 7's in a couple of weeks. At that point we should be able to get a lot of user feedback on how various RF 15s, 21s, 28, work on it.

What are you shooting now, and what would be your second choice if the production 7 really does do as badly with RF WA as it looks on Steve Huff's page?

By the way, he said could care less, so apparently he does care somewhat

-- hide signature --

Nex-5 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Nikon D200 NEX-5T Sony a7R II +26 more
sroute Senior Member • Posts: 2,507

I've been looking forward to the NEX-7 since before it was announced and I do care about using M and LTM lenses as well as SLR lenses on my NEX-7.

Responding to the request of the original poster, I believe we know:

1) There will be colour shift with some wider angle lenses if not all at 35mm and wider perspectives. Witness Huff's posting but also the much more comprehensive collection of shots made with various lenses done by Rob Skeoch (thanks Rob!). See this link and view "older" posts to see the rest.

http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/2011/10/sony-nex7-with-zeiss-f-mount-35mm-zf2.html

2) We don't have a clear handle on edge performance. I've seen some "flatish" field shots that look pretty good on the edges detail wise, but nothing definitive. Wish there was. Maybe there will be such a test before the camera ships. If not, a bunch of us - regular buyers of he NEX-7 - will be the best source of information on this.

I see little risk in taking delivery of the camera if one is lucky enough to get a pre-order filled. Between delivery day and the end of the year if not all the way to May next year, the camera should be easy to unload on eBay or even via local Craigslist in larger urban areas... perhaps even at a premium price.

I am not looking to sell mine unless edge performance is awful... that I will not tolerate. Colour casts? I can live with that, absolutely, and it looks like I'll have to unless Sony does the right thing and brings out a firmware fix for this similar to what Leica or preferably Ricoh have implemented, in camera.

Firemist Regular Member • Posts: 393

Maybe the flooding delay will give some of their engineers back in Tokyo time to develop that fix before the camera starts shipping once the Thai facility is back. Maybe those of us who will be forced to wait for their camera will get the improved version out of the box. Just hoping...

little jim Regular Member • Posts: 155

The Steve Huff review proved to me that the 7 does not have microlenses on its sensor - it is the identical sensor as for the A77. (Doh! Which is exactly what Sony and DPR have been saying...) For best IQ on the 7, I conclude that legacy SLR lenses are the best choice for this mini-DSLR. RF lenses, particularly small, compact and/or wide, will not be to everyone's taste on the 7.

The 5N does have the microlenses and one picture from cgarrard in another post convinced me that RF lenses will perform very (if not extremely) well on the 5N.

So, imo, the 3/5/7 will deliver best IQ with SLR glass and the C3/5N will deliver best IQ with pretty well anything. Understanding this will help you choose the best system and the best lenses. Even in the E-mount choices, I'd avoid the 16mm with the 7 (but expect good results for the C3/5N) due to the same issues as for legacy RF lenses. Aggressive in-camera corrections probably underly reports that certain lenses are "soft".

I have Contax G lenses (28/45/90) and I really wanted them to work well on the 7, which I've pre-ordered. I've given up on the 28 working on the 7 due to CA, but the 45 and 90 will probably be ok. However, I am now leaning to cancelling my pre-order and getting the 5N for these lenses. A year or two from now, we might see a 7N with microlenses, but by then we'll also have new generation MILCs from Fuji, Canon, and maybe others. I've concluded that none of these new entrants will support my legacy G lenses, so the path of least regret for me is the 5N.

But pulling the plug on the 7 when it is due to be shipped my way in a couple of weeks is proving to be very, very, very hard. LOL.

Regards,
Jim.
--
little jim

little jim's gear list:little jim's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,582

This is, more or less, probably a correct interpretation of what's going on with the 7. One clarification: the 7's sensor does have micro-lenses - all the sensors do; but it probably doesn't have offset micro-lenses for the edges of the sensor. It's the offsetting of the micro-lenses that allows for compensation when light is hitting the sensor from a relatively low angle.

OTOH, I've read posts elsewhere suggesting (as sounds reasonable) that offset micro-lenses at the edges of a sensor may compromise performance with longer lenses. It may be interesting to see some pixel peeping results of a 5N versus a 7 with a 200mm or longer SLR lens.

-- hide signature --

Nex-5 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Nikon D200 NEX-5T Sony a7R II +26 more
adi9 Contributing Member • Posts: 837

SQLGuy wrote:

This is, more or less, probably a correct interpretation of what's going on with the 7. One clarification: the 7's sensor does have micro-lenses - all the sensors do; but it probably doesn't have offset micro-lenses for the edges of the sensor. It's the offsetting of the micro-lenses that allows for compensation when light is hitting the sensor from a relatively low angle.

OTOH, I've read posts elsewhere suggesting (as sounds reasonable) that offset micro-lenses at the edges of a sensor may compromise performance with longer lenses. It may be interesting to see some pixel peeping results of a 5N versus a 7 with a 200mm or longer SLR lens.

From what I read the camera using lens profiles in firmware to compensate for the lens distorsions. I'm not sure this applys for this problem, or not , but initially NEX7 had profiles for only a few e-mount lenses.

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226

SQLGuy wrote:

Actually all sensors have offset microlenses. It's just the degree of correction that we're talking about. Also, all that more corrected microlenses will do to telephoto lenses is possibly add a tad more vignetting, so no biggie there.

Carlgo Contributing Member • Posts: 532

Is the Sony 16 designed differently than the legacy designs so that it doesn't angle in the rays at so much of an angle?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads