Lens Error- please restart Camera S3 IS

Started Oct 27, 2011 | Discussions
COLC New Member • Posts: 15
Lens Error- please restart Camera S3 IS

my camera has started to display the above message.

The message keeps repeating each time the camera is turned and then switches off, at the same time the Zoom appears to be stuck in extended mode.

The manual suggesst switching on and off but it makes no difference, it then suggests a service centre, before I take that probably expensive route I thought maybe someone out there might have a suggestion.

SteveRT Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Lens Error- please restart Camera S3 IS

I had this problem with the SX1 IS. I took the battery's out including the small date battery, replaced and that has seemed to correct the error. I also low formatted the SD card because there had been an error on a file at one stage.
--
SteveT

SteveRT's gear list:SteveRT's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +2 more
HenryUK Regular Member • Posts: 334

I had an S2 IS that did the same thing. The micro ultrasonic motor (USM) that operates the lens extension/retraction and zooming mechanism wears out and won't drive properly.

Other causes can be sand in the gears or physical damage.

It is usually hopelessly uneconomic to get Canon to do a repair. You might as well buy a secondhand one.

I have seen micro USM and complete optical units on eBay. It's possible to replace them yourself if you are mechanically dextrous and have the right tools. It's quite a tricky procedure though.
--
Henry

HenryUK's gear list:HenryUK's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +3 more
OP COLC New Member • Posts: 15

Thanks for replies, I cannot find any reference to removing the date battery; are you able to advise the procedure?

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097
Try a Hard Reset

Try a hard reset:

• Put new batteries in the camera and remove the memory card.

• Double click the on/off button and the camera will turn on and then off.

• Hit the on/off button once more. Hopefully, the camera will start normally.

It's worth a try: don't know if it will help but it certainly can't hurt.

If not, and the camera is too expensive to repair, one option is to contact Canon about their Customer Loyalty program. Ask what they have to offer in terms of an equivalent replacement camera.

OP COLC New Member • Posts: 15
Re: Try a Hard Reset

Good Try but no Cigar

The date battery is situated within the main battery compartment and has an about 1cm x 2mm cover/holder that using your fingernail can normally extract. I'am not saying it will fix your problem but only what I did to clear mine. I had thought I'd worn out the USM (200,000 photos +) but have used the camera on a couple of hundred photos since without error.
--
SteveT

Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +2 more

Sorry should read 20,000 photos not 200,000
--
SteveT

picard14 New Member • Posts: 1

My camera lens won't retract on my Canon power shot s31s Has anyone tried to replace the small battery in where the AA goes?

Do you think this might work?

gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 1,558

Back when the S3IS and S5IS were still current, there was a S3/S5 users group online. The answer on that site was that the lens gears were not meshed, and that rapping  on the face of the extending part of the lens would almost always fix the problem. I remember there were several favorite rapping methods, but, never having had the problem with my S5IS, I never actually used any of them. Worth trying before scrapping the camera.....

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +1 more
ChazCam New Member • Posts: 4

I had the same issue.  Hard reset didn't work.  Hope it works for you.  Let me know.

AceWildCard New Member • Posts: 1

Got it!!! Yahoo!!!
Here is what I did...

I read all of these threads, and read about the hard reset, tried a couple times and it didn't work... So I said to myself what have I got to lose to try other ideas so I did... I did hard restart with holding zoom in, and zoom out, about 4 times and finally the lense went back in and started working again! I would not try forcing it in any way like some stated. Zooming in while powering and zooming out and also turning it off in between seemed to get it finally. Try it! You have nothing to lose.... (Oh and I took out the little battery and put it back in for the clock, that did nothing).

PS: I had no memory card in the camera (with its door closed) during the entire process.

maumari New Member • Posts: 2

AceWildCard wrote:

Got it!!! Yahoo!!!
Here is what I did...

I read all of these threads, and read about the hard reset, tried a couple times and it didn't work... So I said to myself what have I got to lose to try other ideas so I did... I did hard restart with holding zoom in, and zoom out, about 4 times and finally the lense went back in and started working again! I would not try forcing it in any way like some stated. Zooming in while powering and zooming out and also turning it off in between seemed to get it finally. Try it! You have nothing to lose.... (Oh and I took out the little battery and put it back in for the clock, that did nothing).

PS: I had no memory card in the camera (with its door closed) during the entire process.

thank you Ace It worked for me tooo!!!!! 5 times doin it and the camera was back in function

grazie e ciao

Mauro

maumari New Member • Posts: 2

maumari wrote:

AceWildCard wrote:

Got it!!! Yahoo!!!
Here is what I did...

thank you Ace It worked for me tooo!!!!! 5 times doin it and the camera was back in function

grazie e ciao

Mauro

30 minutes later the S3 lens got stuck again...

I tried the same procedure but it didn't work. So I put the camera above a radiator for an hour and .... YESSS now it works flawless. But don't ask me why.

I will check later if the S3 will work the same when cooled.

ciao

Mauro

DonA2
DonA2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,344

maumari wrote:

maumari wrote:

AceWildCard wrote:

Got it!!! Yahoo!!!
Here is what I did...

grazie e ciao

Mauro

30 minutes later the S3 lens got stuck again...

I tried the same procedure but it didn't work. So I put the camera above a radiator for an hour and .... YESSS now it works flawless. But don't ask me why.

I will check later if the S3 will work the same when cooled.

ciao

Mauro

Re the post below by eilivk and the link to many suggested "fixes".

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads