G3 hack?

Started Oct 17, 2011 | Discussions
mano42 Regular Member • Posts: 177
G3 hack?

Seeing all that hack made for the GH3, I wonder, if there will be any hack regarding video or interface (changing apperture, iso, shutter speed during video) for the G3...

hmm, time will tell...

mano42's gear list:mano42's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +1 more
FlashInThePan Senior Member • Posts: 1,025
I was asking myself the same thing

I don't care for 176Mb/sec, and sensor output will remain 30 frames/sec and that's fine.

I would like manual control in video mode, and a removal of the 29:59 minutes limit (in Europe).

The G3's video is nice enough as it is, but has been artificially crippled. This should be easy enough to take care of, should someone be interested to do so.

BTW, I think you meant GH2 and not GH3

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Bob Meyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,375
Re: G3 hack?

I'm pretty impressed that someone has hacked the GH3 before that camera even exists.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect to see serious hacks for the G3. The community of Panny hackers are serious video shooters, and the GH series are the cameras of choice for shooting serious video. I expect that where they will continue their efforts.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +6 more
kscharf Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: I was asking myself the same thing

If the external mike input and HDMI monitor output could be enabled with a software patch that would be nice.

CameraBuff Regular Member • Posts: 271
Re: G3 hack?

I imagine the firmware components of the G3 and GH3 are very similar since Panny would want to minimize their development costs. A G3 hack is certainly conceivable. I for one, wouldn't mind paying a small amount of money to get it on my camera.

OP mano42 Regular Member • Posts: 177

Sorry, I mean GH2, typing error :). What I would like is to have some manual controls, like manual iso, aperture, and shutter speed before or eventually during video recording.

Eventually to enable quick menu during recording to change between different focus types , changing the extra tele conversion, (I don't know if GH2 can do that).

OP mano42 Regular Member • Posts: 177

kscharf wrote:

If the external mike input and HDMI monitor output could be enabled with a software patch that would be nice.

External microphone connecting ability isn't hidden, it's just not supported by hardware. (I guess).
What do you mean with HDMI monitor output? During recording?

In playback mode it's working fine, including viera link, with my pana tv. I can browse, delete, playback (pause, qforward, etc) all with my tv remote.

kscharf Regular Member • Posts: 103

Yes during recording, GH2 can do this.

twanton New Member • Posts: 11
Re: G3 hack? / communication with external flash

This is something Panasonic should fix themselves: communication with an external flash. Now only "flash on" and "slow sync" is shared. It says so in the G3-manual. I dearly miss "red-eye reduction" I use a Metz 50 AF-1 flash. Metz is proud to update their flashguns, but what's not shared cannot be updated.

twanton's gear list:twanton's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads