A walk with GRD II

Started Oct 16, 2011 | Discussions
snoops42 New Member • Posts: 9
A walk with GRD II

As an owner of the GRD II, I've been looking at the GRD IV and X10 with lust. I regained my senses and took the old lady for a shoot. If anyone is interested, I can share my post-processing routine.

Adam

rondom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,525
Re: A walk with GRD II

Very nice. Yes, please do share your pp routine...

snoops42 wrote:

As an owner of the GRD II, I've been looking at the GRD IV and X10 with lust. I regained my senses and took the old lady for a shoot. If anyone is interested, I can share my post-processing routine.

Adam

Peter Bellars Regular Member • Posts: 309

Oh I know what you are up against. Both those cameras are so what I'm interested in too. Why not go GRD3 as they will be cheap soon. Lovely camera - always shoots well. Mind you I got a lot out of the GRD2 and still have it, along with 3 GRDs. Just in case you understand!!!
Peter
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88974125@N00/

OP snoops42 New Member • Posts: 9

I use Darktable ( http://www.darktable.org ) for RAW conversion on Linux, but the main ideas should be applicable to any RAW converter. The final step is done using the Gimp (image manipulation program), which has versions for all platforms. I've found that the DNG files from the GRD II look very flat in Darktable (my K-7 DNG files look great though) so I exclusively do BW conversions.

The photo was taken on an overcast day in Taiwan.

The BW out of camera for comparison:

Using the RAW file, the first thing I do is a monochrome filter (basic desaturation):

The color and simple desaturation versions from RAW are very flat. I use the tone curve to add a bit of contrast.

This gets me close to what I'm looking for. For the final step, I use the National Geographic plugin ( http://registry.gimp.org/node/9592 ) for Gimp. This adds some "punch" to the picture. The plugin easily blows highlights, so I leave some headroom in the tone curve operation.

With a bit of practice, it takes about 2 minutes to convert a photograph. The NG plugin adds some noise (looks like grain) but I'm not a pixel-peeper. Hope that helps.

Adam

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW Senior Member • Posts: 1,931

Great,

thanks for the pp instructions, the nat geog plugin seems interesting to try.

Thanks for sharing

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list:BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Ricoh CX6

I forgot to mention that the plugin has many settings. I use the default with good results. I haven't had time to tinker with the settings to tone down the effect (I'm not a big fan of "punch you in the face" photographs ). If anyone has a way of achieving this type of conversion without a plugin, I'd like to hear it.

Adam

RaajS Veteran Member • Posts: 6,632
Nice set

The first one is superb. Well done!

Cheers,
-raaj
--
'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'

rube39 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,454
Re: Nice set
Re: Nice set

Thanks for the kind words. This is the reconnaissance shot.

I liked the angle, but the chairs and other drums distract from the "idea" of the picture (my daughter playing a drum). By moving a few chairs and getting right on top, I was able to achieve some isolation. With my K-7, I often use a large aperture as a crutch for isolation. The GRD forces you to think a bit more to achieve the same goal. In a way, the limitation of a large depth of field is a strength of small-sensor cameras.

Adam

hean01 New Member • Posts: 8

snoops42 wrote:

This gets me close to what I'm looking for. For the final step, I use the National Geographic plugin ( http://registry.gimp.org/node/9592 ) for Gimp. This adds some "punch" to the picture. The plugin easily blows highlights, so I leave some headroom in the tone curve operation.

With a bit of practice, it takes about 2 minutes to convert a photograph. The NG plugin adds some noise (looks like grain) but I'm not a pixel-peeper. Hope that helps.

Adam

Your should try the clarity preset of "equalizer" plugin in darktable to get some local contrast boost as it seems like what the "national geographic" plugin does..

Henrik

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads