5d Classic - A masterpiece

Started Oct 13, 2011 | Discussions
Brad Durack Contributing Member • Posts: 766
5d Classic - A masterpiece

Words don't describe just how good this camera was, and still is.

I brought mine almost 6 years ago now, it has been the single best investment in my photography business.

It is exciting times with the release of the mkiii forthcoming.

i commend canon for producing such a fine tool

gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,621
Re: 5d Classic - A masterpiece

Yep I agree. I've only owned mine a year but it still impresses the heck out of me. The biggest I've ever printed with it is 13x19 and it makes super sharp images to this size, and I know from experimenting with printed crops it will go much larger if I ever have that image I want as a 20x30 wall hangar.

While the mkIII will certainly blow the classic out of the water in every measurable category, I can't see any reason an upgrade will improve my photography. Maybe make it more convenient and the fun of a new toy, but not really improve the results. I'll invest in more lenses and other gear, it will be a long time before I need more camera.
--
Check out the new site:
http://www.gipperich-photography.com
Or the portrait gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/portraits

 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony Alpha a7R Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +7 more
matthias jurisch
matthias jurisch Senior Member • Posts: 1,034
Re: 5d Classic - A masterpiece

yes, I agree with you...but you forgot to mention the Corinthian Leather wrap.

 matthias jurisch's gear list:matthias jurisch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +5 more
arscii Regular Member • Posts: 468
Re: 5d Classic - A masterpiece

Shh, don't tell everybody! You'll put up the auction prices for these gems.

octane2 Contributing Member • Posts: 670
Re: 5d Classic - A masterpiece

I picked one up on eBay last night with just over 7,800 actuations for $885AU.

It will nicely complement my Mark II.

I have always noticed a particular something about the portrait output from that camera and I have finally twigged and got one in mint condition.

I have two weddings next week and can't wait to use it for the formals.

Regards,
H

Brad Durack wrote:

Words don't describe just how good this camera was, and still is.

I brought mine almost 6 years ago now, it has been the single best investment in my photography business.

It is exciting times with the release of the mkiii forthcoming.

i commend canon for producing such a fine tool

idlecynic New Member • Posts: 11
A Classic indeed

+1 on all the comments

The only way the 5D Mark III can improve on the original is by adding a second print button where the shutter button currently is.

OP Brad Durack Contributing Member • Posts: 766
Re: 5d Classic - A masterpiece

may i ask how you measured how many actuations the camera had? I am interested to see how many mine has, i estimate 500k

octane2 wrote:

I picked one up on eBay last night with just over 7,800 actuations for $885AU.

It will nicely complement my Mark II.

I have always noticed a particular something about the portrait output from that camera and I have finally twigged and got one in mint condition.

I have two weddings next week and can't wait to use it for the formals.

Regards,
H

Brad Durack wrote:

Words don't describe just how good this camera was, and still is.

I brought mine almost 6 years ago now, it has been the single best investment in my photography business.

It is exciting times with the release of the mkiii forthcoming.

i commend canon for producing such a fine tool

octane2 Contributing Member • Posts: 670
Re: 5d Classic - A masterpiece

Hi Brad,

I haven't measured it -- I am going by the seller answering a question on the item.

The lady I bought it off is a casual photographer and had no need for it anymore.

When I pick it up on Saturday, I will see if I can find out how to find out the actual number of actuations. It might be worth a visit to the Canon repair centre to get the mirror thingy replaced/fix just in case it decides to go flying out.

Cheers, and, I'll report back once I know.

Regards,
H

Brad Durack wrote:

may i ask how you measured how many actuations the camera had? I am interested to see how many mine has, i estimate 500k

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,268
I Agree

And if it weren't for the constant dust on the sensor (that usually can't be simply blown off), I'd not be eagerly awaiting the next 5D generation. I'll keep my current 5D as a backup.

The 5d is one of my all-timme favorite cameras. Others include: Pentax Spotmatic, Leica M3, Canon T90.

I hope that Canon engineers have finally been able to design a dedicated mirror lockup button.
--
Mike
http://web.me.com/mikebaginy/Mikes-view/Welcome.html

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,198
classic?

What's the 5D classic? Was it a limited edition model? There is the 5D and the 5D mark II but that's all I've heard of.

thelensmeister Contributing Member • Posts: 900
Re: I Agree

i bought mine in 2005 and have never cleaned the sensor!

Considering getting a 2nd.

mbaginy wrote:

And if it weren't for the constant dust on the sensor (that usually can't be simply blown off), I'd not be eagerly awaiting the next 5D generation. I'll keep my current 5D as a backup.

The 5d is one of my all-timme favorite cameras. Others include: Pentax Spotmatic, Leica M3, Canon T90.

I hope that Canon engineers have finally been able to design a dedicated mirror lockup button.
--
Mike
http://web.me.com/mikebaginy/Mikes-view/Welcome.html

Cineski2 Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: classic?

The 5D classic is the 5D. Since we're on the internet, many of us have very short attention spans with reading so sometimes a 5D will read as a mark II just because some people are wired that way. The 5D = 5D1 = 5Dc = 5D classic to combat this phenomenon.

I've kept my 5D classics and decided not to get a 5D2 because I like the warmth and organicness of the 5D's images. The 5D2 can do some cool things but in other ways I feel Canon didn't do as good a job on that camera as they could have. I'm very much looking forward to see what the 5D3 will bring.

Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,685
Re: 5d Classic - A masterpiece

Glad you like it, Brad. Yes, it's a fine camera and has survived the test of time (technology wise) very well.

Although my 5D owners are loathe to hear this, the 50D is essentially a full-frame version of the 20D. Both share about 95% of the same technological DNA, with minor variations only, from the focus and metering systems, to the menu. And even the sensor is roughly the same, with the 20D being about the same resolution as a cropped version of the 5D. The differences are mostly a matter of tradeoffs. While the 5D has a larger LCD, the 20D has a built-in flash (nice for quick and cheap fill on the go). While the 5D has spot metering, the 20D has a faster max flash synch speed.

These differences, however, only serve to make the 5D and 20D a very effective TEAM, especially these days when the collective pair could be obtained in the mere 1K range.

Both the 20D and 5D still offer the same great image quality they did when they were new. People certainly love all the latest gadgets, but both of them cameras reached a point where everything that followed was going to achieve ever diminishing returns. In many ways, though, cameras since these two have become like the ever more bloated versions of Microsoft Office, which offered more and more features of lessor and lessor real use. I very seldom see any photograph made today with a newer camera that could not have been made equal well (from a practical perspective) with one of these.

Brad Durack wrote:

Words don't describe just how good this camera was, and still is.

I brought mine almost 6 years ago now, it has been the single best investment in my photography business.

It is exciting times with the release of the mkiii forthcoming.

i commend canon for producing such a fine tool

 Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Bernie Ess Veteran Member • Posts: 7,052
I beg to differ...

Brad Durack wrote:

Words don't describe just how good this camera was, and still is.

Hmmm, perception obviously differs, while I think that the 5d 1 was an excellent camera at that time, I think this is no longer valid by todays standards.

I did not like it's limited DR and easily blown out highlights (something where the 5d2 ahsn't got better, unfortunately), the lame and no longer up to date AF, and the colour. 5d1 colour has never convinced me, specially it's capability to differenciate fine hues and tones did not convince me. Mark II has more photogenic colour, specially in skin tones, but did not get rid of the shadow noise/ DR problem (and of course the slowish AF).

The Nikon D700 is a little bit a "fixed 5d Mk1". It's more capable AF allows to capture much more detailed photos, mostly even than the 5dII which produces way more unsharp photos. D700/ D3 also has clearly better DR and less noise in the shadows. The d7k is even better in this respect (at low ISOs).

Bottom of the line: Once the 5d3 hopefully gets a better sensor (in terms of noise behaviour) and AF, it might finally be the camera many are waiting for...

That said, the 5d1 is of course capable of making very good photographs, however by todays standards it is no longer "magic" or any state of the art.

And, BTW, I also always thought that the 5d1 did not have any character in it's files, it tended to look a bit sterile and lifeless. An anti- 5d would therefore be a Leica M9, or a Fuji S5pro (gorgeous colours, class leading DR, very low colour noise and fies with character - I will not sell this camera).

I have owned and used extensively all 3 mentioned cameras (d700, 5d1 and 5d2). Currently a 5d2.

cheers
Bernie
--

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,198
Re: classic?

Cineski2 wrote:

The 5D classic is the 5D. Since we're on the internet, many of us have very short attention spans with reading so sometimes a 5D will read as a mark II just because some people are wired that way. The 5D = 5D1 = 5Dc = 5D classic to combat this phenomenon.

That's no reason to make up product names.

I've kept my 5D classics and decided not to get a 5D2 because I like the warmth and organicness of the 5D's images. The 5D2 can do some cool things but in other ways I feel Canon didn't do as good a job on that camera as they could have. I'm very much looking forward to see what the 5D3 will bring.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,198
from a troll of course...

Bernie Ess wrote:

Brad Durack wrote:

Words don't describe just how good this camera was, and still is.

Hmmm, perception obviously differs, while I think that the 5d 1 was an excellent camera at that time, I think this is no longer valid by todays standards.

As a trolling nikon user would say.

I did not like it's limited DR and easily blown out highlights (something where the 5d2 ahsn't got better, unfortunately), the lame and no longer up to date AF, and the colour. 5d1 colour has never convinced me, specially it's capability to differenciate fine hues and tones did not convince me. Mark II has more photogenic colour, specially in skin tones, but did not get rid of the shadow noise/ DR problem (and of course the slowish AF).

Go troll elsewhere and try to convince yourself the d700 is "better" when it was outsold by the 5D2.

The Nikon D700 is a little bit a "fixed 5d Mk1".

Hardly, unless you think that no video and low resolution for a 35mm model (even by 2008 standards) of just 12 MP is being "fixed".

maniax Regular Member • Posts: 298
Re: from a troll of course...

The 5d is only 6 years old. That's nothing compared to film camera's. In 10 years it will still be good. I'm sure of that.

gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,621
Re: classic?

RedFox88 wrote:

Cineski2 wrote:

The 5D classic is the 5D. Since we're on the internet, many of us have very short attention spans with reading so sometimes a 5D will read as a mark II just because some people are wired that way. The 5D = 5D1 = 5Dc = 5D classic to combat this phenomenon.

That's no reason to make up product names.

Then what do you propose the forum should call a 5D? When I just say "5D", most assume I'm talking about the 5D2, proceed to ask if I really mean 5D or 5D2, then start a conversation like we're having now

Perhaps we should vote on a name for this camera and stick to it to avoid confusion? Some options:

5D (the old one)
5D (not the new one)
5D (the first one)
5D (the one without banding)
5D (vintage 2005 model)
5D (yes..."just" 5D. Did I put a 2, II, Mk II in the name??? No! It's a 5D!!)

Any other good names to consider??

EDIT: That naming convention won't help those who insist on calling their 5D2 cameras a 5D.
--
Check out the new site:
http://www.gipperich-photography.com
Or the portrait gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/portraits

 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony Alpha a7R Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +7 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,198
Re: classic?

gipper51 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Cineski2 wrote:

The 5D classic is the 5D. Since we're on the internet, many of us have very short attention spans with reading so sometimes a 5D will read as a mark II just because some people are wired that way. The 5D = 5D1 = 5Dc = 5D classic to combat this phenomenon.

That's no reason to make up product names.

Then what do you propose the forum should call a 5D? When I just say "5D", most assume I'm talking about the 5D2, ask if I really mean 5D or 5D2, then start a conversation like we're having now...and I need to clarify anyway

There's a 5D model and a 5D mark II. There's no reason to assume 5D means 5D mark II now is there?!

Perhaps we should vote on a name for this camera and stick to it to avoid confusion? Some options:

5D is just fine.

Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,685
Much ado about nothing

Nothing wrong with using the term "classic" to differentiate the original 5D from the second, or even potentially upcoming third, generation. Then again, nothing wrong with "original", either. (I often refer to the Nikon D1 as the "original D1" for no real reason other than to make it immediately distinguishable from the D1x or the D1h.) I actually have read plenty of posts where someone asked a question about the 5D, only to see a response asking "which do mean... the original or the Mark II?".

Point is, whichever is used, classic or original, the intended model is pretty much understood, and understood certainly more than with no differentiation otherwise. Objecting to the term "classic" is much ado about nothing. It's not a matter of renaming a product line, as claimed. Fact is, I can really only think of one product that was formally named "classic" and that was Coke after the failed attempt to make it taste more like Pepsi.

By the way, I've also witnessed objection when the term Mark I is used. While technically not labeled as such by Canon, it's silly that such a differentiating label might be considered offensive or unacceptable.

Classics are almost never classics until they have survived the test of time, as the 5D has done.

 Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads