FZ150 5.5fps with AF, how good?

Started Oct 13, 2011 | Discussions
Vince Doran Regular Member • Posts: 239
FZ150 5.5fps with AF, how good?

Since I already have an SX40 which for most of my superzoom purposes is an excellent camera, I essentially bought the FZ150 in the hopes that its fast focus, particularly the 5.5fps wi AF mode, would allow me to capture even better shots of my boys playing soccer and running. And it may, but I can't tell, because apparently the sun is not going to shine here before the FZ200 is released. Today, for instance, I got some parentally usable shots of my cross-country guy in the rain at 800 iso. The camera appears to have tracked him pretty well, but I can't tell how well, because ISO 800 to get 1/200 kind of sucks the crispy out of detail with a tiny sensor.

So - show me some tracking bursts in sunlight! Julio, where are you man? Gary S, don't you like tracking bursts? LTZ, no sunny soccer in Texas?

Iso1975 Regular Member • Posts: 369
Re: FZ150 5.5fps with AF, how good?

Is ISO800 that bad with the FZ150?

Iso1975's gear list:Iso1975's gear list
Canon SX220 HS Pentax K10D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon 1 J2 Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +9 more
RLTsport Forum Member • Posts: 71

I guess not, the problem is 1/200 which is not ok for moving subjects. And if you raise ISO more, than you will have noise and bad colour.

Iso1975 Regular Member • Posts: 369

Hmm, well, it depends on the action. I guess 1/200 should be enough to freeze someone walking or jogging.

Iso1975's gear list:Iso1975's gear list
Canon SX220 HS Pentax K10D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon 1 J2 Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +9 more
Jakita Forum Member • Posts: 81

I think the AF works surprisingly well at 5.5fps. I used it last weekend at my 5-year-olds flag football game and at a fall festival catching him and a friend going down giant slides. I had plenty of light during all my shooting so shutter speeds were not an issue. I thought the pictures were great at niormal maginifcation and even pixel peeking, with a little pp, I was still very happy. At 1/200 in the rain, a DSLR might have trouble.

I generally use my Canon 7D for all my sports shooting needs, but based on this weekend's experience, I honestly think I will use the FZ 150 when I don't feel like lugging the full kit around.

bimbobo Regular Member • Posts: 204

..the good thing is that 5,5 fps works very good and quality is OK.

The issue is that if you shoot RAW+Jpeg or RAW alone it's buffering a lot.
If you shoot JPeg alone, then it's pretty fast for a P&S cam.

I still did not find out if the pics IQ is as good as when it's 1 shot only..

But... as said for a cam like this is a good performance.

ISO 800 is very good, 1600 good, 3200 you are in "troubles"

Mirfak Senior Member • Posts: 1,375

bimbobo wrote:

..the good thing is that 5,5 fps works very good and quality is OK.

The issue is that if you shoot RAW+Jpeg or RAW alone it's buffering a lot.
If you shoot JPeg alone, then it's pretty fast for a P&S cam.

That's odd. I'm sure that I've read more than one place that indicated you can get about 23 shots or so with RAW+JPEG, before slowdown occurs. What's your experience?

OP Vince Doran Regular Member • Posts: 239
That's what I'm talking about!

A comparison from someone using a 7D for similar action carries weight. If you're comfortable with using the images, could you post some of your shots from the FZ150 in that mode? And for that matter, from the 7d in similar use? That would be a great comparison to have a look at.

And yes, I'm not faulting the camera for softish images at ISO 800 and 1/200 in the rain, also one-handed while holding an umbrella with a little breeze. I was pleased to get what I got! But the question of whether the focus will be close enough to keeping up without predictive tracking is the key, and right now I just can't get conditions to test it.

thanks again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads