best budget lens for crop sensor?

Started Oct 11, 2011 | Discussions
blackninja12 New Member • Posts: 19
best budget lens for crop sensor?

I was planning to get the 50mm f 1.4 for my t2i but realize that it cannot be the main lens on a crop sensor camera. So I got the 50mm f 1.8 instead and now is looking for a general purpose lens. also I'm using this for filming btw. So I have been looking into

24mm f 2.8
28mm f 2.8
28mmf 1.8
35mm f2
sigma 30mm f 1.4

what I'm looking for is the best price to performance ratio. Thanks in advance

tonyjr
tonyjr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,288
Re: best budget lens for crop sensor?

I have both the 28 2.8 and the 35 mm . [ also the 50 1.8 mk 1 ] All of them are slow focusing compared to the 18-55 IS [ the 17-55 is even better and my walk around lens . ] . While a 1.8 lens should focus faster than a 2.8 the focus motor does the focusing .
--
1st it's a hobby
7D gripped XTI gripped
Canon - efs 10-22 , 17-55 , ef 18-55 IS
EF 28-90 , 28 @ 2.8 , 50 @1.8 , 28-135 IS
L's 35-350 , 70-200 MK II IS
Quantaray lens 70-300 macro
Sigma 135 - 400
2X III , Life Size converter
KSM filters for all
kenko auto tubes , EF 25

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
Shorthand Senior Member • Posts: 2,976

You have just listed all of the good options for standard-like primes on a APS-C camera. The rest comes down to personal preference and price/performance.

About the only thing I would add is that the 18-55mm IS kit lens is quite sharp in this focal length range and shouldn't be ignored.

Shorthand's gear list:Shorthand's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 500D +13 more
OP blackninja12 New Member • Posts: 19

i already have the kit lens, so... should I just not buy any new lens?

I'm into filming so i use manual focus anyway

For filiming ... I assume you want a big aperture so you can get subject background isolation?

As resolution isn't a challenge for video and you don't need to worry about (phase detect) focus calibration issues, then that would point you squarely at the Tamron 30mm f/1.4.

If you want a zoom lens for video, here is a list of Canon EOS lenses that are parfocal:
http://dougchinnery.blogspot.com/2010/01/canon-parfocal-lenses.html

MitchAlsup Veteran Member • Posts: 5,219

The lens provides two things: a) a focal length, and b) an aperture.

The focal length defines the scale of the image
The focal length AND the size of the sensor determine the apparent field of view
The aperture defines the depth of field
The aperture AND the size of the sensor defines the apparent depth of field
The aperture and the ISO determine shutter speed

It is not a price performance kind of thing. You buy a lens because it provides the aperture and the focal lenght you need to "get a shot".
--
Mitch

The_cheshirecat Senior Member • Posts: 1,169

Shorthand wrote:

If you want a zoom lens for video, here is a list of Canon EOS lenses that are parfocal:
http://dougchinnery.blogspot.com/2010/01/canon-parfocal-lenses.html

Would anyone know if the 70-200 2.8L IS II is also parfocal?

I am assuming it is even though it is not listed because the date of the article precedes its release.

This is not critical for me and what I shoot, but I am curious because I have it and that information would come in handy in some sistuations.

-- hide signature --

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
SNGX1327 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,186

oooohhhh price/performance i'm going to say that the 35mm f/2 probably wins. it's sharper and cheaper.

although my favorite out of that group is the 28mm f/1.8 USM. it costs more ($400 when i bought it but i've heard it's gone up as high as $460 in the last few months), but i like its construction and design better. USM means fast focusing along with full time manual override (i don't use that feature, but it's nice not to have to worry about grinding the AF motor like on a standard lens).

this lens will always have its detractors, but it will also always have a group of people who love it and use it exclusively. i loved it. the detractors say things like "it's not sharp in the corners at f/1.8". and that's true. it's not sharp at the corners at f/1.8. BUT that was never a problem for me, because when i shoot at f/1.8 my subjects are never in the extreme corner of the frame.

cberry Senior Member • Posts: 1,127

Depending on your style, the 50mm could be a great standard walk-about lens. I LOVE it on crop sensors.

The most value to you though would be the 24mm. While not quite a wide-angle on a crop sensor, it's at the wider end and enough of a difference to the 50mm to warrant changing the lens for a specific situation.
24, 50, 100mm might be nice prime lengths with similar jumps in FOV.
cb

cberry's gear list:cberry's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +3 more
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,764
Considered the Tamron 17-50 2.8?

If your happy with a max appature of 2.8 then honiestly the Tamron 17-50 non VC looks like the best value to me, cheaper than the Canon 28mm 1.8 and the Sigma 30mm 1.4.

The 35mm f/2 looked like decent value in the past but right now prices seem to have gone sky high as stocks are low.

dheijl Forum Member • Posts: 76

I find the 28 1.8 a marvelous lens. Small, quiet, fast and accurate focus, excellent low light performance, excellent image quality. But a zoom it is not.

danny

Chengdu nanhai Forum Member • Posts: 59

As do I. I don't understand how people badmouth this lens so badly. It is a nice little gem, slightly pricey, but certainly has its place for many users.

dheijl wrote:

I find the 28 1.8 a marvelous lens. Small, quiet, fast and accurate focus, excellent low light performance, excellent image quality. But a zoom it is not.

danny
--

Chengdu nanhai's gear list:Chengdu nanhai's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Re: Considered the Tamron 17-50 2.8?

35mm f2 cost 320 at bh. is that a good deal?

B&H's prices are always fair, and the 35mm f/2 is a lot of lens for that amount of money, so yes its a good deal.

You can do a little better if you buy used carefully, but not much.

Gene L. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,788

Consider that the Sigma 30 f/1.4 has a smoother focus operation, full time manual focus, better build quality, and a creamier bokeh. If this is going to be used as a primary lens then it would seem prudent to get the best you can afford. If only to be used occasionally and/or for less critical work, the Canon 35 f/2 is still a fine lens for the money.

-Gene L.
http://www.ttl-biz.com
http://www.studiography.blogspot.com

Gene L.'s gear list:Gene L.'s gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 60Da Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Jim4496 Contributing Member • Posts: 595

blackninja12 wrote:

i already have the kit lens, so... should I just not buy any new lens?

use the kit to determine which focal length you really want.
The chioce of 24,28, 30, 35 comes down to what you prefer.
Personally I went with the Sigma 30 f1.4 for the large aperture and the HSM.

Jim4496's gear list:Jim4496's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +15 more
ecka84
ecka84 Contributing Member • Posts: 639

blackninja12 wrote:

I'm into filming so i use manual focus anyway

Then you are looking at wrong lenses. Just get the Samyan/Rokinon 35/1.4 and 85/1.4. Both are manual focus lenses which means they are much better for filming.

ecka84's gear list:ecka84's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads