32 GB or 64 GB SD cards?

Started Oct 8, 2011 | Discussions
skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 5,724
32 GB or 64 GB SD cards?

Up to now, I've rarely shot video using our cameras. But with the improved video capabilities, I want to start mixing in some video clips with the stills when I buy a new compact/pocket camera in the next few months.

In your opinion to start off with, would it be better to buy two 32 GB SD cards to eliminate the "all the eggs in one basket" syndrome? If one memory card fails at least there's a second one.

Or one 64 GB card and trust that it won't fail?

I usually take about 250 photos per one week trips. I will be shooting JPG stills. I'll be shooting 720p video and plan to shoot just a few short video clips now and then.

Thanks,
Sky

laith
laith Regular Member • Posts: 329
Re: 32 GB or 64 GB SD cards?

32 GB is better even 16GB is enogh , high no.of memory leads to slower transformation data.

laith's gear list:laith's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 Nikon Coolpix S9700 Nikon D5000 Pentax K-x Sony SLT-A65 +1 more
OP skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 5,724

laith wrote:

32 GB is better even 16GB is enogh , high no.of memory leads to slower transformation data.

Didn't know 16GB cards would be enough. Thanks. BTW, what's "slower transformation data"?

Sky

Pangloss
Pangloss Senior Member • Posts: 2,298
Suggestion: at least three or four large capacity SD cards

Hi,

It's my experience that having half a dozen large capacity SD cards is very practical. Conversely, having just one SD card is not practical at all.

If your choice is between one 64GB card vs. two 32GB cards, I suggest the latter. Actually I suggest 1 x 32GB + 1 x 16GB + 2 x 8GB. You get the idea...
--
Andrew
Novice photographer

Pangloss's gear list:Pangloss's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 +4 more
Erick L Senior Member • Posts: 1,288

The fewer card to fiddle with, the better in my opinion. On a photo trip, your camera, lens, car, anything can fail. Why would a SD card fail? With multiple cards, there's more chance of losing or breaking them, or to format the wrong one. 16Gb would be enough for your need, but I'd still pick a 32Gb.
--
Erick - http://www.borealphoto.com

theswede
theswede Veteran Member • Posts: 4,009

skyglider wrote:

Didn't know 16GB cards would be enough.

16GB will probably be by far enough, or one 32GB if you want to have some room to spare.

Thanks. BTW, what's "slower transformation data"?

A complete misunderstanding of reality. Pay it no attention, and buy a fast card of good size.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony a7 Sony a5000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +7 more
Paige Turner Regular Member • Posts: 116

Get 2 32GB SD cards but don't get cheap ones. Get name brand cards from a reputable dealer. I have been using Transcend cards for at least 3 years and never had one fail. Sandisk is a very reliable company also. You can't go wrong.

Paige Turner's gear list:Paige Turner's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
Z_fan Regular Member • Posts: 328

For the quantity of still photos and the length of videos you described, 32 GB is more than enough.

Redundancy is important. A card can fail for several reasons. Or worse yet, you remove the card from the camera to transfer photos to your computer and then forget to put the card back in the camera. Having a spare card in your camera bag will help you avoid this disaster.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 18,519

I wouldn't buy any 'SD' card larger than 2 GB. Such cards are not standard.

For capacities of 4 to 32 GB, buy SDHC cards. For capacities of 64 GB or higher, buy SDXC ones. Note that you will need matching capabilities in the device(s) that will be using the cards (i.e., a 64 GB SDXC card won't work in a camera that has a SDHC slot).

Thanks All

Laith, Pangloss, Erick L, theswede, SpankydeMonkey, Z_fan and Tom_N,

Thanks all for sharing your insights.

It seems that the general consensus is that 16 GB is sufficient for my needs and 32 GB if I want to be safe. I think I'll buy two 16 GB cards in case I shoot a little more video than expected. Thanks Tom_N for reminding me that they should be SDHC cards.

Also, even if I just use one 16 GB card per trip, I'll have a spare in case Murphy strikes, or in case there's an occasion and I forgot to offload the photos from one card.

Thanks folks,
Sky

migus Senior Member • Posts: 1,145

if you can manage them, then multiple smaller cards (8-16GB) have benefits over fewer bigger (32-64GB):

1) price, the current sweet spot is closer to 16 than to 64GB;

2) lifetime: as the no. of writes to any FLASH card is strictly limited, it's safer to do your own card-level "wear leveling". ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling )
As a rule, avoid filling any card above 3/4... leave enough spare room.

3) can use them in parallel, in multiple devices - cameras, players, phones (uSD, but you can use adapters to mini and full size SD)

Don't forget the speed grade; HD video may require Class 10 or faster.

normsmith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,372
I suppose it depends on how you shoot

Today I bought a Scandisk Extreme, class 10 with 30MB/s transfer BUT at 4GB for around £15

I use 4's and 8's simply to avoid losing loads of images in the event of a corrupt card.

I don't do much video and I don't use my camera like a machine gun - I delete a lot of shots while in the camera as I despair sitting in front of a computer facing 100's of images to process.

I shoot in RAW and find 4GB cards a good compromise at 200 shots per card.

migus wrote:

if you can manage them, then multiple smaller cards (8-16GB) have benefits over fewer bigger (32-64GB):

1) price, the current sweet spot is closer to 16 than to 64GB;

2) lifetime: as the no. of writes to any FLASH card is strictly limited, it's safer to do your own card-level "wear leveling". ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling )
As a rule, avoid filling any card above 3/4... leave enough spare room.

3) can use them in parallel, in multiple devices - cameras, players, phones (uSD, but you can use adapters to mini and full size SD)

Don't forget the speed grade; HD video may require Class 10 or faster.

Never heard of "wear leveling" before and that was a really interesting read! I do plan to buy cards per the manual's recommendation for speed.

Thanks,
Sky

Re: I suppose it depends on how you shoot

normsmith wrote:

Today I bought a Scandisk Extreme, class 10 with 30MB/s transfer BUT at 4GB for around £15

I use 4's and 8's simply to avoid losing loads of images in the event of a corrupt card.

I don't do much video and I don't use my camera like a machine gun - I delete a lot of shots while in the camera as I despair sitting in front of a computer facing 100's of images to process.

I shoot in RAW and find 4GB cards a good compromise at 200 shots per card.

Hi Normsmith,

Thanks for sharing your info. Regarding

• I delete a lot of shots while in the camera as I despair sitting in front of a computer facing 100's of images to process.

If you haven't tried file tagging to delete images, maybe try the free "Faststone Image Viewer". Enable file tagging and you can go through your images full screen on your computer and press the "\" key to tag images you don't want to keep. After all of the non-keepers have been tagged, return to the browser screen, use the "select tagged images" option and delete all of the non-keepers in one shot. Makes culling images very quick and easy and viewing them full screen on the computer monitor makes decisions easier.

You can do it in reverse and tag the images you want to keep. Then use the "select all untagged images" option and delete the non-keepers that way. But I have far more keepers than non-keepers so I tag the non-keepers.

Just one free way to cull images,
Sky

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads