60D LCD flickering

Started Oct 8, 2011 | Discussions
ultimitsu
ultimitsu Veteran Member • Posts: 6,650
60D LCD flickering

I have just encountered a problem, I would like to know your opinions on the matter.

About a hour ago, I got home after taking my dog for a walk and shot some pictures, I was reviewing them on my camera. Suddenly I found the LCD started flicker, it was like looking at a CRT screen with 30hz refresh rate up close. I then turn camera off, took out the battery (it had more than 80% charge left), inserted it back in and tried again, same thing. next I changed the SD card, shot another picture, same thing.

I did not swirl the screen at all today, it was left in facing out through out shooting and image reviewing. so I turned it back in and back out, it also made no difference.

Now I got a bit worried, I immediately drove to my local store where I bought it from. I showed the problem to the sales person, by now the flickering appeared to be less noticeable, I thought it was probably due to the shop has stronger lighting than my house. the sales person could see it, so she played with it a bit, did a "clear all settings", a while later she comes back telling me that she can hardly see the flickering any more. I then took the camera and found that she was right, the flickering was a lot less, only noticeable on a few photos now (but still existed). So I started playing with it again. A few minutes later, the flickering was completely gone.

since the problem is gone I cant get the store to sent it in for repair. My worry is what if the problem comes back and become permanent after warranty expires - I only have less than 3 month of it left.

So what do you guys think the problem could have been? Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Brian D. Schneider
Brian D. Schneider Forum Pro • Posts: 18,225
Re: 60D LCD flickering

ultimitsu wrote:

I have just encountered a problem, I would like to know your opinions on the matter.

About a hour ago, I got home after taking my dog for a walk and shot some pictures, I was reviewing them on my camera. Suddenly I found the LCD started flicker, it was like looking at a CRT screen with 30hz refresh rate up close. I then turn camera off, took out the battery (it had more than 80% charge left), inserted it back in and tried again, same thing. next I changed the SD card, shot another picture, same thing.

I did not swirl the screen at all today, it was left in facing out through out shooting and image reviewing. so I turned it back in and back out, it also made no difference.

Now I got a bit worried, I immediately drove to my local store where I bought it from. I showed the problem to the sales person, by now the flickering appeared to be less noticeable, I thought it was probably due to the shop has stronger lighting than my house. the sales person could see it, so she played with it a bit, did a "clear all settings", a while later she comes back telling me that she can hardly see the flickering any more. I then took the camera and found that she was right, the flickering was a lot less, only noticeable on a few photos now (but still existed). So I started playing with it again. A few minutes later, the flickering was completely gone.

since the problem is gone I cant get the store to sent it in for repair. My worry is what if the problem comes back and become permanent after warranty expires - I only have less than 3 month of it left.

So what do you guys think the problem could have been? Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

I had something like that after installing Magic Lantern. (since removed due to camera freezing) but not in normal use.
Hopefully it's just a glitch and won't happen again.
--
Brian Schneider

Birdman50 Contributing Member • Posts: 866

Would the screen flicker in any position? I'm thinking maybe its a loose connector in the body or screen itself. If it flickers at only a certain position, it will definitely be a loose contact somewhere.

Regards,

Bobby K.

-- hide signature --

To God be all the Glory!

Birdman50's gear list:Birdman50's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Canon EOS 80D Sony a6400 +10 more
nedelcho Regular Member • Posts: 402

Where you inside when the flickering start? The flickering depends on the lightning. If your lightning is fluorescent or similar it will flicker with frequency of your current i.e. 50-60Hz. And when you photograph or use live view under such circumstances and use shutter speed greater than 1/60 the flickering of the lamps will be quite visible on the screen even if you don't see it with your own eyes.
--
My gallery:
http://4coolpics.com/author_pics.php?aut=21355

nedelcho's gear list:nedelcho's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +1 more
ultimitsu
OP ultimitsu Veteran Member • Posts: 6,650

Birdman50 wrote:

Would the screen flicker in any position? I'm thinking maybe its a loose connector in the body or screen itself. If it flickers at only a certain position, it will definitely be a loose contact somewhere.

I forgot to mention this part, flickering was around the edges of the screen, all around.

ultimitsu

nedelcho wrote:

Where you inside when the flickering start?

no artificial lighting, it was 1PM, day light inside.

ultimitsu wrote:

Birdman50 wrote:

I forgot to mention this part, flickering was around the edges of the screen, all around.

This indicates that your LED back-light source is either loose or failing. Best to send it in to Canon and have it checked while still in warranty.

Bobby K.

-- hide signature --

To God be all the Glory!

ultimitsu

Birdman50 wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

Birdman50 wrote:

This indicates that your LED back-light source is either loose or failing. Best to send it in to Canon and have it checked while still in warranty.

really? that is a bit worrying, I need some evidence to convince my shop to send it to canon, other wise they will be reluctant because it is grey import and not looked after by local canon service. do you have a link or something that I can use?

Sorry, but I don't have a link that can help. My diagnosis however, is based on my experience working with flat panel displays. There's a "back-light" in the panel that flickers when it's about to fail, or if the power supply rail is failing. In the case of the 60D, which is new, I'd say it may just be a connector that's getting loose intermittently.

Good luck!

Bobby K.

-- hide signature --

To God be all the Glory!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads