How to get a Yongnuo RF-603C and Panasonic G3 to work together

Started Oct 7, 2011 | Discussions
jeffdeponte New Member • Posts: 1
Yongnuo RF-603C & Panasonic GH3: SUCCESS!

hello friends,

I've been searching for a way to trigger from my Panasonic GH3 Searched high and low, finally found this thread. I guessed correctly that if it works with Panasonic G3, it should work with Panasonic GH3. Well, I was right! Made the modification, using a short section of solder to bridge the two contacts. Now everything works great! Thanks so much to the original poster for this information.

Jeff

Jasonmon Forum Member • Posts: 60
Re: How to get a Yongnuo RF-603C and Panasonic G3 to work together

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

werdnal wrote:

I have modded the RF-603N (nikon) using conductive aluminum tape across the furthest right two contacts (with leads facing you). Works well!! No soldering!

If it's not too much trouble, could you please post a picture?

After some trial and error, finally got my RF-603 Nikon version to work with conductive aluminium tape.

1. Tape across the 2 contacts as shown in the photo.
  2. I took out the pin that’s furthest inside since it’s no longer needed.
  3. I have to leave the spring in for the RF-603 to work with my EM5.
  4. Trigger activated by my EM5.

**Note: When mount on the EM-5, I have to pull it out a little for the RF-603 to work.

Posted it on my blog http://speakart.com/yongnuo-rf-603-nikon-with-em-5/

Jasonmon's gear list:Jasonmon's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +4 more
Mahmoud Mousef Senior Member • Posts: 2,758

Thanks so much for the info and pics.

RestyF New Member • Posts: 1

I just did this modification and it works on my OMD. Good thing is that it works on their new flash with built-in RF receiver YN-560 III. No need for the extra receiver.

RestyF's gear list:RestyF's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
raichea Junior Member • Posts: 39

Nice pictures... I'm currently waiting for some triggers for my 4/3 gear and planning to do this change.
I've searched and been unable to locate a pinout for the Olympus hot-shoe, so I'm slightly concerned about shorting the two pins together as they correspond to pins on the camera. I think I'll be looking at an alternative way to provide contact just to the one pin needed to support the Olympus.

Ok, so here's the same fix, but just connecting the pin that's required rather than shorting two pins together:

So - I decided to use some adhesive-backed copper tape. Here's a small piece taken off a reel. I found it on eBay, advertised as a way to stop slugs attacking pot plants!

Next I needed to create a PCB track, so I designed a shape to suit and printed it so it could be used as a template for cutting the copper tape:

...and here's the copper tape after cutting. I'd have preferred to make the track narrower, but the copper tape becomes quite fragile:

Here's the connector board before modification:

...and after. I decided to trim the edges of the pad a little as I'd made it slightly oversize (the cutting is pretty fiddly and I didn't want any stray whiskers shorting anything out:

Here's the flip-side of the connector board:

Finally, desolder the yellow wire and connect to the new track:

Reassemble and test. This works perfectly with my Olympus DSLR and Panasonic DMC-LX5. On the Olympus, I have to pull the hot shoe of the RF-603C back the tiniest fraction from being fully home to get a good connection - don't know whether this is an issue with the camera's hotshoe or the RF-603C... may be a tolerance issue??

Harald10 Regular Member • Posts: 218
How to get a Yongnuo RF-603C and Panasonic G3 to work together (update)

Excellent description, but I made a modification to easy the process.

I've followed all your step through the soldering, but instead of scraping off the the excess solder... I've cut a tiny bit of the spring (~ 1 mm). Everything works perfectly (incl. sliding the RF-603C onto the G3).

Thanks again for the research and write-up.

-- hide signature --

Harald

Harald10's gear list:Harald10's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A55 Olympus PEN E-PL2 +44 more
dj9pz New Member • Posts: 1

OK, I'm a little bit late... But I would like to express a big "Thank you!" to raichea, I did the modification using copper foil as suggested and it works flawlessly on my GX1.

Earlack New Member • Posts: 2

Hello all,

I'd like to add a little bit of sometthing :

(First, many thanks for the detailled informations, I've successfully modded my RF603 to work with my OMD EM5...)

If you'd like to use the remote shutter release function of the RF603, you just have to modify the included cable (the one with a mini jack). I could have bought just the 12pin USB connector, but the tip of my soldering iron is too thick...

I ended buying a cheap 3rd party wired shutter release to salvage the end cable ! This one :

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B001C47Y4I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I first tested it before cutting the cable : it worked with my OMD. I've cut the cable, found the sames wires in both cables, connected everything... but the half-press position was tripping the shutter. Almost there !

I just had to invert the two corresponding wires (red on yellow and vice-versa), and VOILA ! everything works perfectly. I got the half-press focusing, and full press triggering the shutter. No screen black-out like some reported or anyting of the sort.

I highly recommend to try it, it's not very complicated and it adds a new possibilty to your arsenal...

Best 30 € + 10 € invested !

Cheers

dj9pz wrote:

OK, I'm a little bit late... But I would like to express a big "Thank you!" to raichea, I did the modification using copper foil as suggested and it works flawlessly on my GX1.

Glad you found it useful...

This shutter cable works without any modification with the RF-603 (modded for Olympus as described, of course): http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-shutter-release-cable-for-olympus/p1530466

jimread Regular Member • Posts: 467

Great mod. Soldered two in a few minutes. Wouldn't have known and couldn't have done it without your instructions. Really great - Jim

Thought I'd bought a pig in a poke

jowkon Junior Member • Posts: 32
which pin 603n

Which pin is mot needed. One of the soldered or middle one billow the soldered line?

Jasonmon wrote:

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

werdnal wrote:

I have modded the RF-603N (nikon) using conductive aluminum tape across the furthest right two contacts (with leads facing you). Works well!! No soldering!

If it's not too much trouble, could you please post a picture?

After some trial and error, finally got my RF-603 Nikon version to work with conductive aluminium tape.

1. Tape across the 2 contacts as shown in the photo.
  2. I took out the pin that’s furthest inside since it’s no longer needed.
  3. I have to leave the spring in for the RF-603 to work with my EM5.
  4. Trigger activated by my EM5.

**Note: When mount on the EM-5, I have to pull it out a little for the RF-603 to work.

Posted it on my blog http://speakart.com/yongnuo-rf-603-nikon-with-em-5/

ducatirider916 New Member • Posts: 1

you know what's even easier?  copper tape.  you just need a sliver and it lays flat.  no danger of melting the tiny pc board either.

JustinB3 New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Yongnuo RF-603C & Panasonic GH3: SUCCESS!

jeffdeponte wrote:

hello friends,

I've been searching for a way to trigger from my Panasonic GH3 Searched high and low, finally found this thread. I guessed correctly that if it works with Panasonic G3, it should work with Panasonic GH3. Well, I was right! Made the modification, using a short section of solder to bridge the two contacts. Now everything works great! Thanks so much to the original poster for this information.

Jeff

The 603C can actually be used with the GH3 without opening the 603C up and soldering the contacts. I was excited when I found this thread: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39536790 but didn't have a soldering iron handy.  Just tinkering around, I put the 603C on the GH3 and naturally wasn't getting the second green light, which indicates successful communication.  When I took the 603C off I noticed that 2nd green light flashed on for a split second, so I started to insert the 603C into the hot shoe until that 2nd green light came on. When I got it about 4/5ths the way into the hot shoe the light came on.  I got excited and tried triggering a 560III.  Nothing.  I went through the menus of the GH3 thinking maybe a setting could fix it.  I tried every flash setting.  Nothing. Looking at the 603C, I noticed the back 2 contacts were hanging off the hot shoe, so I barely pushed it forward to where those 2 contacts were about halfway hanging off but still engaged. This was tricky because the hot shoe is such a tight fit on the GH3.  It took me a couple tries, but when I got those back 2 contacts engaged along with the 2nd green light being on I was able to trigger the 560III.  After this I took the 603C off and on to make sure I could reproduce the wonderful result, and I could every time.  It takes a minute to get the contacts aligned just right, but once you have it it stays put since the GH3 hot shoe is so tight.

Anyway, please let me know if this helps you.  I was ecstatic to stumble upon it since I just had to return the Canon 6D I was borrowing.  He let me keep the lighting gear and I'm stoked it'll work with my GH3.

JustinB3 New Member • Posts: 2

The 603C can actually be used with the GH3 without opening the 603C up and soldering the contacts. I was excited when I found this thread, but didn't have a soldering iron handy. Just tinkering around, I put the 603C on the GH3 and naturally wasn't getting the second green light, which indicates successful communication. When I took the 603C off I noticed that 2nd green light flashed on for a split second, so I started to insert the 603C into the hot shoe until that 2nd green light came on. When I got it about 4/5ths the way into the hot shoe the light came on. I got excited and tried triggering a 560III. Nothing. I went through the menus of the GH3 thinking maybe a setting could fix it. I tried every flash setting. Nothing. Looking at the 603C, I noticed the back 2 contacts were hanging off the hot shoe, so I barely pushed it forward to where those 2 contacts were about halfway hanging off but still engaged. This was tricky because the hot shoe is such a tight fit on the GH3. It took me a couple tries, but when I got those back 2 contacts engaged along with the 2nd green light being on I was able to trigger the 560III. After this I took the 603C off and on to make sure I could reproduce the wonderful result, and I could every time. It takes a minute to get the contacts aligned just right, but once you have it it stays put since the GH3 hot shoe is so tight.

Anyway, please let me know if this helps you. I was ecstatic to stumble upon it since I just had to return the Canon 6D I was borrowing. He let me keep the lighting gear and I'm stoked it'll work with my GH3.

Kamadji New Member • Posts: 1

Hello all !

I would like to thank you for this thread. It is maybe the only post on the net which talk about Yongnuo RF-603C mod to work with our Panasonic cameras...

Thanks to you, I purchase both Yongnuo flash and thoses triggers and after a few tries (now working with aluminium tape and so easy to do) I managed to make them work fine !

I'm trying now to use the remote shutter release function, modding the including cable to link it to the end of a cheap release cable I bought on the net.

But it's not working... The remote works alone, even after recabling old jack end.

When I connect yongnuo cable to the 4 points jack from Panasonic cable, it doesn't trigger.

I tried to invert yellow and white, but still no luck. (without connecting Red cable)

Plus, I checked, in the remote, only yellow and white are used.

In the panasonic tip, i cannot find a connection with the red cable to a part of the jack tip.

Any ideas guys ??? Thanks a lot for your help, i'm sure i'm close !

I successfully use this cable: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-shutter-release-cable-for-olympus/p1530466 to for my Olympus gear. I don't see a Panasonic one listed, unfortunately.

dohdoh Senior Member • Posts: 1,538

I know this is a very old thread but I just wanted to say thank you to the original person who posted this solution.

I have my Olympus E-PM2 and I bought the YongNuo RF-603C off eBay. It wouldn't work right out of the box but I got it to work using the instructions. The main difference is that I used a small piece of copper tape instead of soldering and it worked like a charm.

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

dohdoh

Augusto Maia New Member • Posts: 1

Bom dia pessoas.

Agradeço de  The Ginger Avenger pela grande ajuda.

Augusto Maia

Brasiliia  -  Brasil

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads