Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

Started Oct 5, 2011 | Discussions
zsd101 Contributing Member • Posts: 920
Re: Amazing specs - price low?

Or maybe they won't HAVE to. I'm afraid they will try to get away with including 7D AF (which has unlikely roots in 1D AF technology), and the fanboys will still jump with joy and rave about it. 13+ years after 45pt AF was designed.

They don't have to do anything. Nikon put their top AF into the D700, and Canon still put the same old AF from the 5d into the 5dII. I agree with with Martin, in that Canon will just put the 7D's AF into the next 5D Mark??? series, and call it a day, and THAT will be a real shame, IMO.

zsd101's gear list:zsd101's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
thelensmeister Contributing Member • Posts: 900

Yep, sadly that is how Canon play with us

They don't have to do anything. Nikon put their top AF into the D700, and Canon still put the same old AF from the 5d into the 5dII. I agree with with Martin, in that Canon will just put the 7D's AF into the next 5D Mark??? series, and call it a day, and THAT will be a real shame, IMO.

Tim O'Connor
Tim O'Connor Veteran Member • Posts: 5,425

zsd101 wrote:

?? the 7D AF is among the fastest on the market at the moment. I dont see how putting that system on a full frame camera could be a bad thing.

-- hide signature --

Canon 7D
FujiFilm F20

http://www.pbase.com/timothyo

Tim O'Connor's gear list:Tim O'Connor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D500 Sony a7R III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +18 more
bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226

Tim O'Connor wrote:

zsd101 wrote:

?? the 7D AF is among the fastest on the market at the moment. I dont see how putting that system on a full frame camera could be a bad thing.

it still has its struggles with precision

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
Re: Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

if you trust the canon rumor about full on 1 series AF, 6-7fps without needing grip, but less MP increase than expected but 2 stops better, maybe we get something a bit better than the D800 (perhaps better video? snr? more speed without grip) other than perhaps 21-28MP instead of 36MP and perhaps slightly lower cost?

JohnnyRX7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,853

well 7D AF does have spot focus regardless of lens... that's pretty nice.. something my 1D MKIV does not have.. Canon do a damn firmware update
--
Johnny

J A K Forum Pro • Posts: 15,833
Well, I've lusted over Nikon's 14-24 but was never keen ...

about the idea of purchasing an adapter for a Canon body. If your source is correct then this might be the time to consider a Nikon body and then pick up the 14-24 for those occasional very wide angle landscapes.

Thanks much for posting this information ... well, I should say "rumored" information.

Regards,

Joe Kurkjian

Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/jkurkjia

-- hide signature --

SEARCHING FOR A BETTER SELF PORTRAIT

Skip M Veteran Member • Posts: 7,174

Great Bustard wrote:

The rumor is a 4FPS camera with a 36MP Sony Exmor FX sensor using the D7000 pixel design. I hope Canon will compete well with the 5D3, 'cause I can't afford to switch, I like my lenses, and that sensor is pretty much exactly what the doctor ordered (along with Nikon's famous AF).

What happens to you if Canon doesn't come up with an equivalent? Will your photos look worse than they do now? Will your clients desert you in droves? Will your car blow up, your wife (if you have one) leave you and you'll become a statistic?
In the greater scheme of things, it's not that important...
--
Skip M
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
http://www.pbase.com/skipm
http://skipm.smugmug.com/
http://skipmiddletonglamourshooter.blogspot.com/
'Living in the heart of a dream, in the Promised Land!'
John Stewart

Skip M Veteran Member • Posts: 7,174
Ummm...

Vivid1 wrote:

If they can make that camera for $4k I can foresee many switchers - at least most of my Nikon colleagues who are touting 5dmkii's will switch back and probably many Canon shooters (myself included) might have a d800 and a lens or 2 in my bag soon. Rumours are that 5dmkiii will bring nothing new (over mkii) but 32Mp and a price increase to the party - but I'll wait and see.

If Canon responds with a mkIII that doesn't do any more than it does now, but puts all the 7D and 60D improvements on board with a 32mp sensor, how does that come out worse than the D800?

On a side note: Isn't it amazing how Nikon has flourished since Sony entered the DSLR market? (probably much more than Sony themselves?)

Having Sony as an engineering backup has certainly helped them, hasn't it?
--
Skip M
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
http://www.pbase.com/skipm
http://skipm.smugmug.com/
http://skipmiddletonglamourshooter.blogspot.com/
'Living in the heart of a dream, in the Promised Land!'
John Stewart

J A K Forum Pro • Posts: 15,833
The correct answer is .............

Skip M wrote:

Will your car blow up, your wife (if you have one) leave you and you'll become a statistic?

If Canon doesn't come through I strongly suspect the Lions won't win the Super Bowl.

Regards,

Joe Kurkjian

Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/jkurkjia

-- hide signature --

SEARCHING FOR A BETTER SELF PORTRAIT

Vivid1 Regular Member • Posts: 351
Re: Ummm...

Skip M wrote:

If Canon responds with a mkIII that doesn't do any more than it does now, but puts all the 7D and 60D improvements on board with a 32mp sensor, how does that come out worse than the D800?

I was rather hoping for marked improvements on the sensor design - something similar to what Sony/Nikon did with the d7000. Also, I think we expect better AF and more 1d-like body design - nothing less than what Nikon has done with the d700 and most certainly the d800. Remember this time around Canon might not have the 'high resolution boasting rights'.

On a side note: Isn't it amazing how Nikon has flourished since Sony entered the DSLR market? (probably much more than Sony themselves?)

Having Sony as an engineering backup has certainly helped them, hasn't it?
--

The relationship seems to work well for them - with Sony now moving almost exclusively into mirrorless, there doesn't seem to be much conflict of interest either.

If this new 36mp sensor turns out to be a winner would it be too much to hope that Canon might license/buy it and use in the next 5d?? - (I know .... not a chance - but that would have been great wouldn't it?)

joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,232

Great Bustard wrote:

For me, the camera is the limiting factor for enough photos to make me want more.

not many great photographers can say that - I am glad I met one in my life span!

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +8 more
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,652

MM1 wrote:

thelensmeister wrote:

id love nikon to release this cause then surely Canon would HAVE to put the AF techonlogy of the 1d series into the 5d successor (or give us a 3D).

Or maybe they won't HAVE to. I'm afraid they will try to get away with including 7D AF (which has unlikely roots in 1D AF technology), and the fanboys will still jump with joy and rave about it. 13+ years after 45pt AF was designed.

..or perhaps many people just don't feel they need 45 pt AF? if it leads to a significantly cheaper camera with similar specs to this Nikon I'd welcome that move.

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 61,122

MoreorLess wrote:

MM1 wrote:

thelensmeister wrote:

id love nikon to release this cause then surely Canon would HAVE to put the AF techonlogy of the 1d series into the 5d successor (or give us a 3D).

..or perhaps many people just don't feel they need 45 pt AF? if it leads to a significantly cheaper camera with similar specs to this Nikon I'd welcome that move.

Thin Nikon will either have the 51 point multiCAM 3500 or the 39 point multiCAM 4800.
--
Bob

sparkling elk
sparkling elk Contributing Member • Posts: 829

i find the crop mode (take a look at the 1.2 crop on the D3s) much more useful than reducing pixels (sraw). for what i should buy a camera with a 35mp sensor and then prefer or need shooting with half resolution? i already made the experience with the 21mp on the 5D2. it was a strange feeling to shoot with sraw1 (10mp) to reduce filesize while having the double capacity. of course it doesnt pain to have sraw modes, but i'd prefer the simple advantage of larger pixels. example: the difference between D3s (12mp) and D3x (24mp). i'd prefer a D4s (16mp) with (at least) 1 stop better lowlight performance over a D4x (35mp). but i have to admit, that a good resolution is also something that manifests in IQ. the question is what is enough. to me, a 5D3 with improved 21mp would be interesting, but perfect with 16mp.

of course: for those who want and need max resolution, its a different story.

thomas2279f wrote:

True.... rumors a bound of 2 Canon FF, 5d MK 3 with more advance AF and pixel size of 30mp+ and a lower res FF but with superb image and noise capture.

Hope Nikon will offer in addition to the DX crop mode Sraw1, Sraw2 option - very handy features from Canon....

sparkling elk's gear list:sparkling elk's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +12 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 61,122

sparkling elk wrote:

i'd prefer the simple advantage of larger pixels. example: the difference between D3s (12mp) and D3x (24mp).

The difference in pixel size between the D3s and D3X has nothing to do with the low light performance. that is brought about mainly by the higher quantum efficiency, which Nikon has also achieved with the small pixels of the 1 system sensor.

i'd prefer a D4s (16mp) with (at least) 1 stop better lowlight performance over a D4x (35mp).

If the 35MP camera is based on the 16MP DX Sony sensor, you will not have a stop better lowlight, it's quantum efficiency is already close to 50% and its read noise very low.

but i have to admit, that a good resolution is also something that manifests in IQ. the question is what is enough. to me, a 5D3 with improved 21mp would be interesting, but perfect with 16mp.

16 is just a number, no real reason why it should be better that 21 or 24. generally, more is better.
--
Bob

Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,030
D800=36 MPs is akin to the iPhone5 rumors plus another upside

Partial truth. That there will be some sort of FF announcement on Oct 26th seems plausible - a D800 with 36 MPs seems not. If the rumor was about a suspected D4 version, the rumor would be believable. So, I think the specs and the camera names have become jumbled in the murkiness of rumorville.

If this camera, whatever it is called, does have 36 MP, D3x prices will drop like a rock and that is one helluva camera for us landscapers who may have maxed out their needs at 24 MPs.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +9 more
Tim O'Connor
Tim O'Connor Veteran Member • Posts: 5,425

bronxbombers wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote:

zsd101 wrote:

it still has its struggles with precision

hasn't been my experience with the camera at all, but Im sure Canon could improve on it.
--
Canon 7D
FujiFilm F20

http://www.pbase.com/timothyo

Tim O'Connor's gear list:Tim O'Connor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D500 Sony a7R III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +18 more
Keith Reeder Veteran Member • Posts: 3,725
Careful...

amobi wrote:

These Fanboys are already begging Canon to put 7D AF on the next 5DIII. What a shame.

Your jerk is showing...

Keith Reeder Veteran Member • Posts: 3,725
My 17 AF points...

...Are better than the vast majority of the 45 AF points in any 1D prior to the Mk IV.

You can't actually be so gullible as to automatically associate "more" with "better", can you?

We killed that notion when we were arguing about the 40D vs. the D300!

Added : Just looked at your website. One decent AF point would do you, so - please - just give it a rest...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads