Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

Started Oct 5, 2011 | Discussions
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 42,853
Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

The rumor is a 4FPS camera with a 36MP Sony Exmor FX sensor using the D7000 pixel design. I hope Canon will compete well with the 5D3, 'cause I can't afford to switch, I like my lenses, and that sensor is pretty much exactly what the doctor ordered (along with Nikon's famous AF).

Peter 13 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,301
Re: Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

An exciting news. My hope is that Canon will have no choice but to follow suit.

kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,583

Still a rumor, but certainly will kill where canon still has a distinct advantage, the high resolution affordable full frame sensor.
--
http://razzi.me/kevindar/photos

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sony a7R II Sony a6300 +25 more
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,854

kevindar wrote:

Still a rumor, but certainly will kill where canon still has a distinct advantage, the high resolution affordable full frame sensor.
--

Nikon is one of the worst (or best?) companies about leaking product info. Many of the specs on cameras are known months prior to release, and are accurate.

Would be exciting to see such a camera released. Hopefully I'll score a 5D2 cheap when all the "photographers" (with a lower case "p") switch to Nikon for the 3rd time
--
Check out the new site:
http://www.gipperich-photography.com
Or the portrait gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/portraits

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Sony a7R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +11 more
Edymagno Veteran Member • Posts: 3,528

From the 5Dc to the Mk2 the jump was 80% more pixels.
If we apply the same percentage, next iteration would be 38 mp's.

645 DMF backs are now up to 80 mp's and new Sony aps sensors are 24 mp. Considering this, 36 mp's FF doesn't sound extreme.
Eduardo

kevindar wrote:

--

Edymagno's gear list:Edymagno's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
actually 6fps and top AF

Great Bustard wrote:

The rumor is a 4FPS camera with a 36MP Sony Exmor FX sensor using the D7000 pixel design. I hope Canon will compete well with the 5D3, 'cause I can't afford to switch, I like my lenses, and that sensor is pretty much exactly what the doctor ordered (along with Nikon's famous AF).

actually 6fps (with extra battery) and top level AF

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226

Peter 13 wrote:

NL has an odd claim that some dealer got contacted for orders for two new bodies better than 5D2 for announcement in 2-3 weeks, not sure if that is believable or not, but I chose to believe hah

jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,554
re: 6fps only in DX mode

bronxbombers wrote:

so no longer FF :(,

jpr2
--
~
street candids (non-interactive):
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157609618638319/
music and dance:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341265280/
B&W:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623306407882/
wildlife & macro:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341377106/
interactive street:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623181919323/

Comments and critique are always welcome!
~

joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,240

Great Bustard wrote:

. . . I hope Canon will compete well with the 5D3, 'cause I can't afford to switch, I like my lenses . . .

is there any picture you really can't do with your current kit?

A high resolution 5D III without AA filter would be fine. Having said that I see really no image I can't do today with my 5D II except ISO 100 k shots - which is like saying my car can't do 200 mph so it's old fashioned

I am waiting for a 5D III or a 5D IV (or however this camera will be called) with no AA filter and plenty of pixels but the current 21 MPixel at the given quality level are so good that I even skipped my large format camera (which is now resting in self storage).

Getting better is a very good thing - the current quality level is fine for 24x36 inch prints without any printing problems.

It's always the lenses the make the system interesting and in this respect Nikon still has a loooooong way to go to compete with some Canon lenses - I'd even say Zeiss is now years behind Canon and with the 200-560 4.0-5.6 the dogfight becomes even less attractive

Just try the fabulous 400 f/2.8 and your AF will be as good as it gets today - tried it myself and I really can't complain - even in dim situations.

The problems is always behind the camera

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +8 more
Vivid1 Regular Member • Posts: 351
Amazing specs - price low?

If they can make that camera for $4k I can foresee many switchers - at least most of my Nikon colleagues who are touting 5dmkii's will switch back and probably many Canon shooters (myself included) might have a d800 and a lens or 2 in my bag soon. Rumours are that 5dmkiii will bring nothing new (over mkii) but 32Mp and a price increase to the party - but I'll wait and see.

On a side note: Isn't it amazing how Nikon has flourished since Sony entered the DSLR market? (probably much more than Sony themselves?)

thelensmeister Contributing Member • Posts: 900
Re: Amazing specs - price low?

id love nikon to release this cause then surely Canon would HAVE to put the AF techonlogy of the 1d series into the 5d successor (or give us a 3D).

MM1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,504

thelensmeister wrote:

id love nikon to release this cause then surely Canon would HAVE to put the AF techonlogy of the 1d series into the 5d successor (or give us a 3D).

Or maybe they won't HAVE to. I'm afraid they will try to get away with including 7D AF (which has unlikely roots in 1D AF technology), and the fanboys will still jump with joy and rave about it. 13+ years after 45pt AF was designed.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Martin

MM1's gear list:MM1's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +10 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 61,146

Peter 13 wrote:

I'm thinking that the two have decided to go head to head. This new 'D800' (or is it 'D900') is a much more direct competitor to the 5D line. I wouldn't be at all surprised for the 5DIII (or will it be 3D) to be more or less a FF 7D. The main question is whether Canon has its own alternative to the Exmor sensor - which would be interesting, because Nikon's own sensors are Canon like rather than Sony like. Or would Canon use the Sony sensor, that also makes sense, in someways. If Canons fab lines are full, buying in FF sensors would release a lot of capacity for P&S and APS-C
--
Bob

thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,193

True.... rumors a bound of 2 Canon FF, 5d MK 3 with more advance AF and pixel size of 30mp+ and a lower res FF but with superb image and noise capture.

Hope Nikon will offer in addition to the DX crop mode Sraw1, Sraw2 option - very handy features from Canon....

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +19 more
OP Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 42,853

joger wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

. . . I hope Canon will compete well with the 5D3, 'cause I can't afford to switch, I like my lenses . . .

is there any picture you really can't do with your current kit?

In terms of AF, yes, I miss more than I would like. In terms of IQ, yes, I could use more IQ on more than a few.

A high resolution 5D III without AA filter would be fine. Having said that I see really no image I can't do today with my 5D II except ISO 100 k shots - which is like saying my car can't do 200 mph so it's old fashioned

I am waiting for a 5D III or a 5D IV (or however this camera will be called) with no AA filter and plenty of pixels but the current 21 MPixel at the given quality level are so good that I even skipped my large format camera (which is now resting in self storage).

AA filters are there for a reason. Don't you think it would be odd if camera manufacturers put in an unnecessary component making their cameras have lower IQ and more expensive?

Getting better is a very good thing - the current quality level is fine for 24x36 inch prints without any printing problems.

Depends on the scene.

It's always the lenses the make the system interesting and in this respect Nikon still has a loooooong way to go to compete with some Canon lenses - I'd even say Zeiss is now years behind Canon and with the 200-560 4.0-5.6 the dogfight becomes even less attractive

Just try the fabulous 400 f/2.8 and your AF will be as good as it gets today - tried it myself and I really can't complain - even in dim situations.

I rarely shoot longer than 100mm. Most of my photography is at 24mm or 50mm.

The problems is always behind the camera

For me, the camera is the limiting factor for enough photos to make me want more.

thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,193

Be really painfully slow opening a 36mp Raw file using NX 2 - hope if an upgrade to NX 3 would look at fixing at the speed issue of rendering the raw files in the editor.

Plus those 36 MP files will be huge... please Nikon include Canon sRaw1, Sraw2 modes.

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +19 more
jenella
jenella Senior Member • Posts: 1,009
re: 6fps only in DX mode

jpr2 wrote:

bronxbombers wrote:

so no longer FF :(,

jpr2

??????????

jenella's gear list:jenella's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
amobi
amobi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,116

These Fanboys are already begging Canon to put 7D AF on the next 5DIII. What a shame.

MM1 wrote:

thelensmeister wrote:

Or maybe they won't HAVE to. I'm afraid they will try to get away with including 7D AF (which has unlikely roots in 1D AF technology), and the fanboys will still jump with joy and rave about it. 13+ years after 45pt AF was designed.

Leos Senior Member • Posts: 2,072

thelensmeister wrote:

Hehe, as I see it, all they have to do is to put 30+ mp sensor in a 5D body as we know it , and keep the price down. 4000 for a slowish 4fps body is stretching it.

David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,342

amobi wrote:

These Fanboys are already begging Canon to put 7D AF on the next 5DIII. What a shame.

MM1 wrote:

thelensmeister wrote:

Or maybe they'll just go out and make great images with it and let the whiners be damned.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Martin

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads