Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

Started Oct 4, 2011 | Discussions
keeponkeepingon Senior Member • Posts: 1,327
Re: iPhone 4S vs Canon 7D!

Jontwd wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC1DlpXmrdU

Omg, check this youtube video out guys.

iPhone 4S vs Canon 7D

Very neat video. Is that junie b. jones from Aloha ha ha in the last picture?

One thing that cracked me up is that to me some of the 7D videos of the dog looked slightly out of focus giving the slight edge to the 4s. I'm not sure if that was intentional to make the 4s look better or just because of the traditional terrible video AF on canon DSLRs .

 keeponkeepingon's gear list:keeponkeepingon's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M Sony a6000
PaulRivers Veteran Member • Posts: 7,420
Re: iPhone 4S vs Canon 7D!

Jontwd wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC1DlpXmrdU

Omg, check this youtube video out guys.

iPhone 4S vs Canon 7D

I think I'm going to get the iPhone 4S and not bother about getting a camera. Any comments?

You may be able to live with the drawbacks, but there are some drawbacks.

The biggest one is trying to take pics in indoor lighting. My cousin has an iPhone and took some pics on our last family vacation. When he used the "flash" on the iPhone it dropped the shutter speed to 1/15 and half the pics are blurry because someone in the pic moved or he didn't hold the camera still enough. Taking pics in indoor lighting of people without flash is similarly impossible.

That's the biggest drawback of a cell camera - the lack of a real flash. Other things include the difficulty in keeping the lens clean (it sits in your pocket), and the complete lack of any optical zoom. Oh, and I've run into even more problems with dynamic range (blown out totally white skies) with my cell camera than my regular camera, neither is perfect though.

One cannot argue with a phone convenience. For me the really big issue is the indoor lighting stuff.

PaulRivers Veteran Member • Posts: 7,420
Re: iPhone 4S vs Canon 7D!

lol, I always get this crazy de-ja-vu feeling when I read one of these rants, so I edited it to remind me of the old times.

olyflyer wrote:

bill hansen wrote:

Depending on what you use the camera for, you might be pleased. It seems that many people are quite happy as long as the images look okay on their cell phone or in a small web display. If you want to make prints, or if you like to use longer focal lengths, you will eventually want a "real" camera.

Yes, well, that's OK, but what I think is crazy is when people start to compare phony cams   digital cameras with film cameras and try to convince other people that it ( digital ) is really a good camera. The only thing it ( digital ) can be compared is with other phone   digital cameras, not with real ( film ) ones. Comparing ( digital cameras ) with real ( film ) cameras is just fanboyish nonsense made by people who have no idea about anything or are looking for justifications to buy the Iphone   digital cameras because they actually can't afford it   buying film .

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,195
Re: iPhone 4S vs Canon 7D!

PaulRivers wrote:

lol, I always get this crazy de-ja-vu feeling when I read one of these rants, so I edited it to remind me of the old times.

I don't appreciate your nonsense of editing my message. If you have a different opinion, say it, but what you did is nothing but rude provocative crap.

PaulRivers Veteran Member • Posts: 7,420
Re: iPhone 4S vs Canon 7D!

olyflyer wrote:

PaulRivers wrote:

lol, I always get this crazy de-ja-vu feeling when I read one of these rants, so I edited it to remind me of the old times.

I don't appreciate your nonsense of editing my message. If you have a different opinion, say it, but what you did is nothing but rude provocative crap.

At worst it's on par with your post.

"comparing with real cameras is just fanboyish nonsense" is nothing but rude and provocative, particular on a web site dedicated to reviewing and comparing cameras.

Claiming they "can't" be compared is the height of logical absurdity. An apple can be compared to an automobile - one is tasty and good for eating, the other is good for getting to the store. Two devices that take pictures are far and obviously more comparable than that.

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,195
Re: iPhone 4S vs Canon 7D!

PaulRivers wrote:

... nothing worth wasting more time on.

dpfan32
dpfan32 Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

I made a lot of photos with the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, Nokia N86, Nokia N8 and Canon S95

No phone comes nowhere near the Canon S95.

To be said:

iPhone 4 is the worst. iPhone 4S is only a bit better that it's predecessor in terms of color, dynamic and white balance, but not in sharpnes.

The Nokia N86 is another class of camera. It beats the iPhone 4S hands down. The Nokia N8 is a bit better than the N86, but it depends what photo I prefer, sometimes N86 is better.

Look what I'm talking about:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41150345@N06/sets/72157627766596659/

The S95 is in comparison to the mentioned phones perfect in any term. I would never ever replace it with one of these phones.

Jerra Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

Since I own a DSLR I do know what pure photo shooting feels like, but there is no more fun involved for me. It's bulky and mostly I would archive my photos and never look at them again. Too much time I have waisted with cropping and editing them and there is just no Snapseed, Camera+, Diptic or MagicHour available neither on the camera nor on the PC.

So I'm really undecided if buying a Canon S100 would really be worth it. Sure, the quality is greater, but I'm not sure how often I would use it if I bought it.

Just face it, in the Smartphone-area the P&S stays at home for the average user, especially if you're sharing photos online. We're not really talking about the iPhone 4 or Canon S100. We're talking about the future of P&S-fotography.

Mobile phones are the new polaroid-cameras.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

Jerra wrote:

Just face it, in the Smartphone-area the P&S stays at home for the average user, especially if you're sharing photos online. We're not really talking about the iPhone 4 or Canon S100. We're talking about the future of P&S-fotography.

I agree.

When I went to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens light show, I couldn't believe how many people were taking photos with iphones (stopping any and everywhere without regard to others walking behind them...causing traffic congestion ). They far surpassed the number of people who used compact cameras. I'm sure they'll be happy with the photos.

Of the hundreds and hundreds of people I passed from dusk through mid-evening, I only saw two with a DSLR and one person was using it with a tripod.

Weeks before I took several shots with a friends iPhone, which he emailed to me. Despite the results being better than expected, I could never be happy with the image quality.

Mobile phones are the new polaroid-cameras.

Personally, I don't want to give up the image quality, versatility and extensive controls of a camera like my S100. But I do think phones with cameras will continue to get better, and masses will bypass compact cameras.

Me, I'll wait for further developments of a camera with a built-in phone.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/29/android-phone-lumix-camera-panasonics-lumix-phone-101p-for-japan/
--
My S100 Galleries ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb/canon_s100
My Canon S100 Blog: http://www.digicamhelp.com/topics/camera-logs/canon-s100/

technic Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

gail wrote:

When I went to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens light show, I couldn't believe how many people were taking photos with iphones (stopping any and everywhere without regard to others walking behind them...causing traffic congestion ). They far surpassed the number of people who used compact cameras. I'm sure they'll be happy with the photos.

Of the hundreds and hundreds of people I passed from dusk through mid-evening, I only saw two with a DSLR and one person was using it with a tripod.

surprising, very different from what I see here in the Netherlands. Quite a lot of DSLRs around, and compacts far outnumber iPhones in use whenever there are general photo opportunities.

Despite the results being better than expected, I could never be happy with the image quality.

same here; just wait until - some years from now - 4K televisions and photo frames get more common for displaying pictures, instead of the current 1K (HDTV) or lower quality displays. Then they will see how crappy most cameraphones really are. Similar to watching VHS video on a current HDTV display. Of course many will still be happy with the quality, but some might regret all the info that was lost forever by using an iPhone instead of a real camera (including lost opportunities because of slow response, limited zoom etc.).

As for the apps that supposedly make iPhone pictures 'unique' or 'unparellelled' compared to normal photos, I don't doubt there will be many of those apps available in a few years on any tablet or similar device.

alfpang New Member • Posts: 20
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

I have the iPhone 4S and S95 / S100. Jpegs from the 4S are significantly better than those from the 4 (which I upgraded from), partly due to improved optics on the iPhone, and partly better onboard post-processing. Have managed to get some low-light pics out that would've been a muddle on the iP 4.

I'd say the 4S would be able to go toe-to-toe with most entry-level/budget casual compacts.

That said, they're not at all in the same league w the S95, which is a very capable camera offering some pro-friendly features (including RAW) that are competitive with much larger cameras.

Both the 4S and S95 punch above their weight class, but they're not in the same weight class. The 4S is a featherweight that sometimes punches like a lightweight, and the S95 is a lightweight that hits frequently like a middleweight.

(I just got the S100 and am really liking the remarkably low noise at higher ISOs....)

 alfpang's gear list:alfpang's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

technic wrote:

Despite the results being better than expected, I could never be happy with the image quality.

same here; just wait until - some years from now - 4K televisions and photo frames get more common for displaying pictures, instead of the current 1K (HDTV) or lower quality displays. Then they will see how crappy most cameraphones really are.

Maybe so. But my guess is that most will still be happy with their photos. I think sometimes we photo enthusiasts/forum participants think everyone in the world is as nit-picky as we are about cameras and photography. They're happy with snapshots, and that's fine. In fact, I bet pros with their good glass and fine cameras think my photos are snapshots quality.

btw, I got my daughter a photo frame for Christmas, but returned it.

Months ago I discovered you can watch all photos, even videos, uploaded to your Picasa Web Albums on her Roku player. At first it didn't work correctly, so I left it for a few months so the developer of the channel had time to work out the bugs. Now it's working like a charm. It's quite cool.
--
My S100 Galleries ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb/canon_s100
My Canon S100 Blog: http://www.digicamhelp.com/topics/camera-logs/canon-s100/

tiberiousgracchus
tiberiousgracchus Regular Member • Posts: 250
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

gail wrote:

Jerra wrote:

Just face it, in the Smartphone-area the P&S stays at home for the average user, especially if you're sharing photos online. We're not really talking about the iPhone 4 or Canon S100. We're talking about the future of P&S-fotography.

I agree.

When I went to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens light show, I couldn't believe how many people were taking photos with iphones (stopping any and everywhere without regard to others walking behind them...causing traffic congestion ). They far surpassed the number of people who used compact cameras. I'm sure they'll be happy with the photos.

Of the hundreds and hundreds of people I passed from dusk through mid-evening, I only saw two with a DSLR and one person was using it with a tripod.

Weeks before I took several shots with a friends iPhone, which he emailed to me. Despite the results being better than expected, I could never be happy with the image quality.

Mobile phones are the new polaroid-cameras.

Personally, I don't want to give up the image quality, versatility and extensive controls of a camera like my S100. But I do think phones with cameras will continue to get better, and masses will bypass compact cameras.

Me, I'll wait for further developments of a camera with a built-in phone.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/29/android-phone-lumix-camera-panasonics-lumix-phone-101p-for-japan/
--
My S100 Galleries ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb/canon_s100
My Canon S100 Blog: http://www.digicamhelp.com/topics/camera-logs/canon-s100/

I agree in the end its the premise that counts what you will use more. The phone is a social tool used for recording memories and sharing online (instantly). The large screen for eg of the Iphones allows this instant appreciation for an image taken. The screen is high quality. Cameras like an S100 are so versatile and compact but its an extra item. Most just dont carry anything apart from money and a phone. Hassel free. What you get with the s100 and more so with dslrs is a seperate issue. quality indoor shots. More artistic shots. I do believe that if you like to be more creative in photography the s100 is a good starter.
My 2cents

dpfan32
dpfan32 Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

It is a dream come true:

Nokia 808 PureView or the Samsung Galaxy Camera

Both better than the 4S

I can only speak for the 808: It's awesome!!!

caution: 34 Megapixels

The Flickr link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41150345@N06/7774670662/in/set-72157631037832170

In this light conditions the S100 has no chance

seri_art Senior Member • Posts: 2,631
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

Do you find that the S100 has lower noise at high ISO, with at least as much fine detail remaining, as the S95?

alfpang wrote:

I just got the S100 and am really liking the remarkably low noise at higher ISOs....
 seri_art's gear list:seri_art's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +3 more
dule
dule Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

Yes, but the S95 is better at low iso which is better overall and there is no problem with "lens error".

 dule's gear list:dule's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
seri_art Senior Member • Posts: 2,631
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

Is that your experience with both cameras? Or?

dule wrote:

the S95 is better at low iso

 seri_art's gear list:seri_art's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +3 more
dule
dule Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

Yes, I had a short time S100, but I sold it and bought a RX100. S95 is better at low ISO, and S100 at high iso. I do not take photos at high ISO, so this advantage has not meant much.I kept S95 because it is a great little camera without any problems such as lens error or something else.

 dule's gear list:dule's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads