Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

Started Oct 4, 2011 | Discussions
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,057
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

technic wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

technic wrote:

A real artist can produce something worthwile with almost any tool.

...but this is nonsense. Most great artists would never touch or use any other tool than the best one for their purpose or for their kind of art. They would not know what to do with a 4s or any other phone cam.

On of the projects that I mentioned was organised by a well known museum, and definitely not just as a publicity stunt. I won't ramble about how limitations can produce great art; sometimes a very simple tool is the best for the job.

Right. But that's not the same as any great artist could create art using a crappie P&S or a phone cam. It is still a fact that most great artists, living and dead, use or used the best tool money can buy for their art .

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
gostan Junior Member • Posts: 34
IPhone 4S Pic Posted on Macrumors
Steen Bay Veteran Member • Posts: 7,418
Re: Or Nokia N8...

technic wrote:

I haven't investigated them but maybe I should. I cannot imagine they do a good job at low light levels or for fast action. Probably some of them are close to small sensor compacts now in quality, as some of the cameraphones use same size sensor as in small(est) compacts.

Nokia N8 has a 12mp 1/1.83" sensor, so it's almost the same size as the 1/1.7" sensor in S95/G12.

v2005t Forum Member • Posts: 64

The images are AMAZING! I wonder how he managed to take them with a camera phone. Does anybody know if N8 provides enough manual control over the camera? And how it compares with S95?

However, $500 is a bit too much for a P&S camera (even with a build-in phone)...

Jerra Junior Member • Posts: 44

I'm unsure what to do because I'm getting tired of my K200D and really need some P&S-alternative. Don't get we wrong, the K200D is a great camera, but I just don't have the time and will to use it. I always have to decide whether I go photographing or do something else, it really p*$$ s me off. All in all I need a camera that I can carry with me independent from my current activity.

And here's the point: 400EUR is at least for me a huge amount of money and I can't decide if I want to spend it on a new camera or if my iPhone 4 already fits my needs. In addition I could upgrade to the iPhone 5/Nexus Prime/Galaxy SIII or whatever will be released next year.

So what should I do ...? Help would be appreciated.

olyflyer

Jerra wrote:

I'm unsure what to do because I'm getting tired of my K200D and really need some P&S-alternative. Don't get we wrong, the K200D is a great camera, but I just don't have the time and will to use it. I always have to decide whether I go photographing or do something else, it really p*$$ s me off. All in all I need a camera that I can carry with me independent from my current activity.

And here's the point: 400EUR is at least for me a huge amount of money and I can't decide if I want to spend it on a new camera or if my iPhone 4 already fits my needs. In addition I could upgrade to the iPhone 5/Nexus Prime/Galaxy SIII or whatever will be released next year.

If you already have an Iphone 4 then go on, use it and decide if it is good enough for you. If you however don't have it then you should decide if you need a new phone and a camera, in which case maybe it is OK to buy a phone with a camera. Otherwise I'd buy a better P&S for 200EUR (or even less) and save the other 200EUR for something else if I were on tight budget. Remember that the Iphone and as far as I know, all phone cameras, don't have an optical zoom, so basically any P&S is better than any phone camera, however...

I know that the Iphone like a powerful magnet right now, it is a must have and if you don't have one you must be a failure in life and feel alone, lonely and forgotten in the world.

Good luck.

Nikon Z7
Jerra Junior Member • Posts: 44

I do own an iPhone 4 and I will try it and see if it fits my needs, but since I never used a good P&S-camera I don't have the comparison.

Steen Bay Veteran Member • Posts: 7,418

Jerra wrote:

Even the best phone cams are seriously limited by the lack of optical zoom and IS. Compacts like for example SX230HS and IXUS 220HS will give you 14x/5x stabilized optical zoom (and many other things), for much less than 400EUR.

(EDIT - see now that olyflyer already mentioned that ;-))

olyflyer

Jerra wrote:

I do own an iPhone 4 and I will try it and see if it fits my needs, but since I never used a good P&S-camera I don't have the comparison.

I don't have one, so I can't compare, but basically I am convinced that a real camera is better due to the considerably better lenses used in real cameras.

Nikon Z7
bill hansen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,727
What's so good about iPhone?

I'm serious. So many of your write about how good the iPhone camera is and the fact that you're abandoning your S93, your G12, or whatever "P&S" you used, that I'd like to know what makes the iPhone camera so good.

For the past 8 months, I've occasionally been using the 8 mpx phone camera of the Motorola DroidX. Compared to my G10 P&S, the disadvantages of that phone camera are, more or less in the order in which they bother me:

1-no optical zoom

2- Big crunch of noise reduction which destroys detail except in bright light at ISO 100
3-lots of shadow noise at any ISO greater than 100
4-very poor dynamic range (shadows very dark, highlights frequently blown out)

5-shutter lag of 1-2 seconds except when the Droid camera is replaced with Camera 360

6-no ability to alter white balance in-camera (other than default WBs, which are poor)
7-rather wide default viewing angle (focal length)
8-no ability exposure compensation
9-no RAW

The default DroidX camera is even much worse than I've described, but replacing it with the in-camera firmware "Camera 360" helps quite a bit, restoring the ability to choose image sizes, ISOs, and so forth

This means that in good light at ISO 100, the Droid cell phone camera can take images acceptable for prints up to 8X10, small web displays, or display on the cell phone itself. In any other circumstance, it's completely unacceptable, even for small prints and even after images have been carefully run through PhotoShop CS5.

So what does the iPhone camera have that the Droid camera does not have?

Bill Hansen

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097
Camera with phone built-in

I played with a friends iPhone4 yesterday for some time. While I was very impressed with the phone, I wasn't with the overall image quality of the bulit-n camera or video recorder. But I'm sure they are fine for snapshots and if you want to apply filters to cover some of the flaws.

Seems Panasonic is developing a camera with a phone it it. Now that sounds really interesting:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/29/android-phone-lumix-camera-panasonics-lumix-phone-101p-for-japan/

gostan Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Camera with phone built-in

gail wrote:

I played with a friends iPhone4 yesterday for some time. While I was very impressed with the phone, I wasn't with the overall image quality of the bulit-n camera or video recorder. But I'm sure they are fine for snapshots and if you want to apply filters to cover some of the flaws.

Seems Panasonic is developing a camera with a phone it it. Now that sounds really interesting:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/29/android-phone-lumix-camera-panasonics-lumix-phone-101p-for-japan/

The new IPhone 4S coming out tomorrow has a completely different sensor than the existing IPhone 4. I do not believe that it will take the place of a high end P&S, but all reports are that it blows away the existing IPhone photo capability. I will know more tomorrow when UPS delivers my new IPhone 4S.
--
Stan

Re: Camera with phone built-in

gostan wrote:

I will know more tomorrow when UPS delivers my new IPhone 4S.

I'd be really interested in hearing your impressions of it. I, too, read that the photo quality has improved.

I almost ordered the 4S today but MUST also buy a $30 per month data plan. At this time, I have other priorities for my money....like the S100. I doubt any camera-phone at this time can beat the features or image quality of a camera like the s100. Maybe next year.
--
gail ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb

My Canon G12 blog: http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-logs/canon-g12/canon-g12-premium-compact/

$30 per month

Gail - When I read about phone data plans of $30 per month I get really jealous. My Verizon plan is almost $79 per month, and Verizon has just raised its rates so that an equivalent plan would cost almost $100 per month in this area (central NY state, USA). Needless to say, whenever I have to re-up for phone service, I'll dump Verizon. In fact I'll probably go right back to my trusty old TrakFone, at $8 monthly.

Re: $30 per month

+1 TracFone customer. 9c/minute, $180/year

bill hansen wrote:

Gail - When I read about phone data plans of $30 per month I get really jealous. My Verizon plan is almost $79 per month, and Verizon has just raised its rates so that an equivalent plan would cost almost $100 per month in this area (central NY state, USA).

I use Verizon. Can't you log into My Verizon and change your plan? Of course, it depends how much data you use, but it's something I don't want to get hooked on and really have no need to surf the net on a phone. My home computer is fine.

I've had nothing but problems since switching to Verizon from ATT. After months of problems and hours and hours on the phone because of dropped service, faulty software that would wake up the phone and wake me up at four a.m. (yes, it's true), the finally sent me another phone. It works a little better but you can't even see the screen when you're outside in the sun (both are LG phones).

Needless to say, whenever I have to re-up for phone service, I'll dump Verizon. In fact I'll probably go right back to my trusty old TrakFone, at $8 monthly.

I have over a year on my contract before I can look at other options and, believe me, I will. Never heard of TrakFone but I'll look into it.
--
gail ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb

My Canon G12 blog: http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-logs/canon-g12/canon-g12-premium-compact/

Never heard of TrakFone but I'll look into it.

TracFone is a prepaid service with very basic phones. It is great if you do not talk much. One year prepaid card costs $100 and gives you 800 minutes (with double minute plan, which you normally get). You can always refill. The nice thing is that minutes roll over and airtime extends when you refill. Coverage is great - TracFone has MVNO relationships with multiple major carriers, using a mix of TDMA, CDMA and GSM technology, depending on region. I have heard complaints from other people, but I personally have not had any problems with it so far. No, I am wrong, last year I purchased a one-year card, but the minutes did not double. I sent an e-mail to the customer service and withing several hours they fixed the problem and gave me extra 1000 bonus minutes as apology

Jontwd New Member • Posts: 4
iPhone 4S vs Canon 7D!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC1DlpXmrdU

Omg, check this youtube video out guys.

iPhone 4S vs Canon 7D

I think I'm going to get the iPhone 4S and not bother about getting a camera. Any comments?

Re: iPhone 4S vs Canon 7D!

Depending on what you use the camera for, you might be pleased. It seems that many people are quite happy as long as the images look okay on their cell phone or in a small web display. If you want to make prints, or if you like to use longer focal lengths, you will eventually want a "real" camera.

Obviously I'm in the other camp. When I want to take a picture, I want a camera. When I want to make a phone call, I want a phone - and not necessarily a cell phone or "smart" phone.

Bill

olyflyer
Re: iPhone 4S vs Canon 7D!

bill hansen wrote:

Depending on what you use the camera for, you might be pleased. It seems that many people are quite happy as long as the images look okay on their cell phone or in a small web display. If you want to make prints, or if you like to use longer focal lengths, you will eventually want a "real" camera.

Yes, well, that's OK, but what I think is crazy is when people start to compare phony cams with cameras and try to convince other people that it is really a good camera. The only thing it can be compared is with other phone cameras, not with real ones. Comparing with real cameras is just fanboyish nonsense made by people who have no idea about anything or are looking for justifications to buy the Iphone because they actually can't afford it but like the brand.

Obviously I'm in the other camp. When I want to take a picture, I want a camera. When I want to make a phone call, I want a phone - and not necessarily a cell phone or "smart" phone.

I don't mind smart phones, though mine is just a "lousy" Nokia N95, but I do like the availability of phone, Internet, camera, GPS, radio, media player and what not... just as long as no one is trying to convince me that an external GPS, external camera, external computer and so on is not better than a phone (any phone). I also like the smart phone to be best as a phone. Everything else is of much less importance in it and should have lower priority in my opinion.

Nikon Z7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads