how to convert JPEG to 24 bit depth???

Started Sep 30, 2011 | Discussions
Bananas in Paris Senior Member • Posts: 2,830
how to convert JPEG to 24 bit depth???

A friend is applying for a visa, but the US government has these strange restrictions for only a 24bit photos submitted with the application. See the text below.
How can I convert a JPEG to 24 Bit? PS CS5 has 32 or 16 bit, not 24.

I am exporting the image as JPEG from LR3, but it only has options to save as 8 or 16 bit and not as JPEG.

Grrrr. Frustrating. Please help. And thanks

Here is the official US Government text:

Image Color Depth:

Image must be in color (24 bits per pixel). 24-bit black and white or 8-bit images will not be accepted.

Color photographs in 24-bit color depth are required. Color photographs may be downloaded from a camera to a file in the computer or they may be scanned onto a computer. If you are using a scanner, the settings must be for True Color or 24-bit color mode. See the additional scanning requirements below

-- hide signature --
kb2zuz Veteran Member • Posts: 3,203
You're already set.

It's just a weird naming thing. Photoshop lists the bit depth as Bits/Channel. The government is asking for 24 bits total (not per channel). There are 3 channels in an RGB image. So a JPG (which by definition is an RGB image with 8bits/channel) will actually be a 24 bit image. No conversion necissary. Leave it as 8bit/channel in photoshop or lightroom and you're fine.
--
~K

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +6 more
OP Bananas in Paris Senior Member • Posts: 2,830
Re: You're already set.

Thanks for the answer.

I am almost sure that the bureaucrat who wrote this has no idea what this means anyway, but its a way to make life difficult for the ordinary citizen.

Its is a visa lottery and they sift through applications for mistakes before allowing them to be part of the lottery.

This might be one way to reduce the amount of applicants

kb2zuz wrote:

It's just a weird naming thing. Photoshop lists the bit depth as Bits/Channel. The government is asking for 24 bits total (not per channel). There are 3 channels in an RGB image. So a JPG (which by definition is an RGB image with 8bits/channel) will actually be a 24 bit image. No conversion necissary. Leave it as 8bit/channel in photoshop or lightroom and you're fine.
--
~K

-- hide signature --
davidford Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: how to convert JPEG to 24 bit depth???

How can someone at the Visa office look at a 2"x2" printed portrait and tell it is 24 bit?

I would think it would be a major accomplishment for them to distinguish between BW and Color.

Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,158
Re: You're already set.

Actually, we computer geeks primarily used the term "24-bit color" back in the early 90s to refer to 8-bit RGB images (8-bits for each color channel, or, 3 x 8 = 24 bits.) In fact, my Epson scanner still lists "24-bit color", along with "color smoothing", "greyscale", and "black and white".

Don't put too much into applicant filtering idea. It was just another common way of saying a common thing.

andrzej bialuski wrote:
Thanks for the answer.

I am almost sure that the bureaucrat who wrote this has no idea what this means anyway, but its a way to make life difficult for the ordinary citizen.

Its is a visa lottery and they sift through applications for mistakes before allowing them to be part of the lottery.

This might be one way to reduce the amount of applicants

kb2zuz wrote:

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV GoPro Hero7 Black +6 more
MOD Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 19,612

These are actually reasonable requirements.

andrzej bialuski wrote:

Image Color Depth:
Image must be in color (24 bits per pixel).

Notice this is per pixel, not per channel.

24-bit black and white

They want color, not black and white.

or 8-bit images will not be accepted.

An example of what this would be like is if you saved the picture as a GIF. It must be quantized, resulting in a pixelated image. They could have just said color Jpeg.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +13 more
Joergen Geerds Senior Member • Posts: 1,758

davidford wrote:

How can someone at the Visa office look at a 2"x2" printed portrait and tell it is 24 bit?

I would think it would be a major accomplishment for them to distinguish between BW and Color.

I think you can give them a bit more credit... those are digital submissions, not printed 2x2, and asking for a 24bit jpg, not horribly compressed are quite reasonable, but easy to meet requirements.

apaflo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,854

andrzej bialuski wrote:

Image Color Depth:

Image must be in color (24 bits per pixel). 24-bit black and white or 8-bit images will not be accepted.

Color photographs in 24-bit color depth are required. Color photographs may be downloaded from a camera to a file in the computer or they may be scanned onto a computer. If you are using a scanner, the settings must be for True Color or 24-bit color mode. See the additional scanning requirements below

The above is a technically very specific (and very accurate) specification, clearly generated by some astute technical writer that knew what was required and how to state it correctly and absent ambiguity!

There are, however, two arbitrarily ambiguous possibilities in that specification. One is a lack of any pixel/inch specification. Which means it can either be extremely pixelated or it can be a JPEG with very low quality (high compression), either of which means a very poor quality image filled with artifacts. The second ambiguity is that while they require color and say no 24-bit black and white, there is nothing preventing an image that is significantly desaturated with barely any color visible.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads