Very Dark Prints from Epson R2000 and Photoshop.

Started Sep 30, 2011 | Discussions
AdventureGuide Forum Member • Posts: 83
Very Dark Prints from Epson R2000 and Photoshop.

I just purchased an Epson R2000 printer. ALL of my prints are coming out VERY dark. I have calibrated my monitor using Spyder3Elite from Datacolor, loaded the ICM into Photoshop, and used the correct paper settings. Out comes a very dark print.

I take the SAME image and print it using the Windows Photo Viewer program, having loaded the same ICM information, and the print looks (almost) correct.

Any ideas on how to make Photoshop actually put out a good looking print? I have followed the instructions from both Adobe and Epson on how to "correct" the situation, but nothing has worked.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers!

Jim

stormyboy Senior Member • Posts: 1,022
Re: Very Dark Prints from Epson R2000 and Photoshop.

Here's an article that might help:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml
It's by Andrew Rodney.

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,815

Unless you are editing on a fully calibrated monitor, and none of them come out of the box calibrated. Usually they are much brighter and skewed toward blue.

When you edit Brightness of an image on a monitor that is too bright to begin with, you will always end up with a dark print.

Chakonari New Member • Posts: 7

As the same image is printing (almost) correct from another application, it's probably a colour management issue.

Most recommend to select "Photoshop manages colours" in the print dialogue when using Photoshop. Make sure that the printer does not manage colours as well. In any case, only the application you print from OR the printer, should manage the colours.

The print preview of the Epson printer driver has never shown me correct colours(never tried to find out how to remedy that) and I only use it to check the positioning of a print on the medium if I need to.

Another thing to look in to, is the proof setup in Photoshop, whilst it will not change the colours of the printed image or how the image looks when viewed in other applications, it does influence how the image appears on screen within photoshop.

Also make sure that you select the right type of paper.

I adjusted my monitor by eye and although I don't achieve 100% accuracy, it's close enough for my use.

EDIT: I have the R3000

Four by Six Regular Member • Posts: 183

I have the Epson 4900, and just posted a similar question in another forum. Previous HP printer did not have this issue. Images look fine in camera and other apps, just dark in PS, and when printed on Epson. At least the PS image exactly matches the printout, so what you see is what you get (WYSIWYG), and the final result is amazing. However, I am stunned at how much I have to increase gamma, tweak curves, raise shadows, and increase brightness to get a usable print. In the past, I only had to tweak these settings, not throw the brightness slider all the way up.

JohnChapman New Member • Posts: 2

Hi Jim,

I'm having the self same problem after changing a full bank of cartridges.

Did you ever solve your problem ?

Regards, John

bobh121 Regular Member • Posts: 410

JohnChapman wrote:

Hi Jim,

I'm having the self same problem after changing a full bank of cartridges.

Did you ever solve your problem ?

Regards, John

John this post is over 2 years old. You should start a new thread with as much information as possible such as operating system, monitor calibrated or not, print settings and software your using. Im sure you will get a lot more help this way.

JohnChapman New Member • Posts: 2

Thanks Bob, but I'm new to this . Where do I go to start a new post?

Regards,  John

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads