Tokina 11-16 on a full frame body????

Started Sep 27, 2011 | Discussions
westerner
westerner Senior Member • Posts: 1,009
Tokina 11-16 on a full frame body????

I have heard that the Tokina 11-16 DX lens may be used on a FF camera when set at 16mm. Is this true?? If so, can someone post a couple of images at 15mm and 16mm on a FF body? I'd like to see how well it does. A small amount of vignetting would not bother me. I have a D700 and a D7000, so would love that I could use it on both bodies (it would actually be wider at 16mm on the D700 than at 11mm on the D7000 since that would be 16.5 equiv.). Awesome!!

Please someone at least advise me here or, better yet, post some examples. Thanks!!
--
K.B.

westerner's gear list:westerner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +5 more
dimalozz Forum Member • Posts: 55
16mm is 100% usefull

It's true. I use tokina 11-16/2.8 on my D7000 and D700 also.

16mm is 100% usefull, sometimes I use this lense even at 14mm. You can see how it looks at Ken Rockwell's article: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

westerner
OP westerner Senior Member • Posts: 1,009
Re: 16mm is 100% usefull

Thanks for the link...it appears that 15 and 16mm are good enough for me. I add vignetting to many of my shots anyway, as I like that look. I just don't know if I can live with the limited range. Not to mention that there would be a gap in coverage since my next lens (by focal length) is 24-70. I suppose that at least on the D7000 I have 16.5-24 equiv., so not that big of a deal.

I have some thinking to do.......
--
K.B.

Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +5 more
pluis New Member • Posts: 14
Re: 16mm is 100% usefull

As mentioned, vignetting only starts around 14mm, and before that it's perfectly usable.

FYI, this is what happens at 11mm on FF: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomaaas/5041736355/ . Could still come in handy as a gimmick from time to time

azoele Contributing Member • Posts: 663
16mm is 100% usefull... not to anybody

I tried it, and was unimpressed by results.
My copy was very sharp on DX, down to 2.8; but 16mm on fullframe shows:

• very good center sharpness

• very bad corner sharpness, not improving, or very little, by stopping down

• pretty relevant CA

I guess in a pinch it can be extremely useful. But if you want to go wide, there's no contest between that and a real FX solution...

Of course, my 2c.
Lory

-- hide signature --

'The human race is a race of cowards. And I'm not only marching in that procession, but carrying a banner.'
Mark Twain

M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,426
Re: 16mm is 100% usefull... not to anybody

Hi,

These lenses are designed for DX use, not FX. Los in sharpness, especially at the borders on FF is normal.

I experienced the same with the excellent 12-24DX lens of Tokina, and several other DX lenses. They work perfectly on FF, of course keeping the limitations in mind. But the lens design is made for use on DX, you will notice that absolutely in image performance on FF.

Michel

azoele wrote:

• pretty relevant CA

I guess in a pinch it can be extremely useful. But if you want to go wide, there's no contest between that and a real FX solution...

Of course, my 2c.
Lory

-- hide signature --

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Light is Everything
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05/ (my pixel mess on flikr)
http://www.pbase.com/photopropaganda

tulo Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: Tokina 11-16 on a full frame body????

I know a tokina 11-16 user who put a strip of tape on the barrel, and replaced the "11" and "16" markings with "DX" and "FX", respectively.

haven't seen any samples though...

John_I Veteran Member • Posts: 6,311
Many samples of Tokina 11-16 on D700

westerner wrote:

I have heard that the Tokina 11-16 DX lens may be used on a FF camera when set at 16mm. Is this true?? If so, can someone post a couple of images at 15mm and 16mm on a FF body? I'd like to see how well it does. A small amount of vignetting would not bother me. I have a D700 and a D7000, so would love that I could use it on both bodies (it would actually be wider at 16mm on the D700 than at 11mm on the D7000 since that would be 16.5 equiv.). Awesome!!

Please someone at least advise me here or, better yet, post some examples. Thanks!!

Hello K.B. Here are a number of samples of T 11-16 on my D700 at 16mm. I am not a pixel peeper so my satisfaction is based on my view of results, not necessarily some overly technical analysis.

For me it's a useful full frame lens when I need it as you can see from my photoblog samples. I do crop for composition sometimes, PP for convergence on occasion and shoot with a variety of lenses so you can see settings used in exif data if you want to see settings for a shot.

http://jbipix.com/?s=11-16+full+frame
--
John from Toronto
JBIPix Photoblog - http://jbipix.com

BrianHalcYoN Contributing Member • Posts: 553

Not the Tokina 11-16, but I use a 10.5 DX Nikon with the lens hood petals cut off on my D700 to get 180 FOV. Shoot center weighted, meters well on the D700. Then use software to "defish" and you end up with some pretty cool results.

Or leave it with the edges...

-- hide signature --

Taking pictures of what I want to...
http://www.photobriangray.com/

BrianHalcYoN's gear list:BrianHalcYoN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +6 more
westerner
OP westerner Senior Member • Posts: 1,009

Very nice shots, John! The sun shot is particularly good, with the star pattern. It looks like the corners are decent, anyway. You could always be aware of possible corner issues when shooting, and just avoid shots that need absolute sharpness there. Thanks for the examples!!
--
K.B.

RustyKnee Regular Member • Posts: 462

Hi,

I had the 11-16 from when I had a d90 before my 700. It worked at 16mm, but I found metering to be unreliable. Manual was more reliable for me, its a good lens. But for FF I would try and get a full frame lens. Effictively the 11-16 is a prime with the chance of accidental vignetting.

Stu
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbitstu77/

AllanRinggaard Regular Member • Posts: 143

Hi

I use it on my D3, mostly to do 360x360 panoramas (4 shot).

Se example of it here shot with D3X, it really shows how well the 11-16 can do with good resolution.

http://smukfest.dk/panorama/Anna_David_Panorama/index.html

Or here shot with D3, in low light.

http://www.allanringgaard.dk/Panorama/Miracoco/tour.html

I have also shot some "stills" with the 11-16 on my D3 at 14 mm.

_

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Allan Ringgaard

http://www.allanringgaard.dk

Brian Z Tang New Member • Posts: 1
Re: 16mm is 100% usefull... not to anybody

Intuitively your result sounds reasonable, however I have read something different on internet:

http://www.slrlounge.com/how-to-use-a-crop-sensor-lens-on-a-full-frame-dslr

And according to my own experience in brick-wall photography, your unimpressed results may be brought about by bad focus -- you have to use a tripod and Lv mode, then 10x the the extreme corner you want to watch, then focus on it. If you focus automatically, as there is no focus point in the extreme corner, it may be way out of focus even you are shooting a deep DOF 16mm lense. If you focus correctly, you'll find the same result as the article mentioned above -- f/8 sharpness even on extreme corner is very good, perhaps only surpassed by 14-24/2.8, and my result tells me that it is very good on extreme FX corner even wide open.

azoele wrote:

• pretty relevant CA

Of course, my 2c.
Lory

Nick_Brisbane Senior Member • Posts: 1,085

This shot with a D600 on a tripod at 16 mm - no flash - looks good to me. Don't have shots at 15mm etc

Nick_Brisbane's gear list:Nick_Brisbane's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624

Thanks for your comment and reviving this thread, never thought of this until I saw this on the front page of the forum. I find it interesting. Useful for those of us DX shooters who are considering this or the Tokina 12-24 who ***may*** (unlikely but may) eventually buy a FF. All of my other lenses are designed for FF, except the 18-200 VR on my wife's D5000. So, the option is there for me.

So, a cost effective wide angle used on DX that could be used on FF would be interesting indeed.

Not buying right now, but looking around for later.

It makes the additional roughly 150 bucks on the 11-16 2.8 over the 12-24 f4 sound worth it (aside from claims of better optical quality and the 2.8 over f4), unless the 12-24 f4 can also be used on FF?

Cheers and thanks again

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner wrote:

unless the 12-24 f4 can also be used on FF?

Cheers and thanks again

It appears from other prior posts on dpreview that the Tokina 12-24 f4 can be used quite well on FF from 18mm or 19mm to 24mm (posts say 18mm, but I did see images where the vignetting disappeared from 19mm and was clear to 24mm).

Good to know.

-- hide signature --

tricky photography Forum Member • Posts: 81

I'#ve been using the TOkina 11-16 on my D600 the past month.

I was a D90 user before hand where the Tokina 11-16 performed perfectly.

As stated above the 16mm range is still good on an FX lens for Vignetting though I personally think it starts creeping in at 15mm, though it's easier to correct at 15mm.

14mm it's getting a bit much for me.

My main problem is:

A: It's a DX lens
B: It's not a cheap DX lens
C: I have an FX camera
D: I'm finding the Coma a massive nuisance for my night photography and the distortion is a bit much round the edges that weren't a problem in DX. Which is understandable.

This is why with some research I'm planning to replace my Tokina 11-16(£550) For a Samyang 14mm(£296) 
It's a lot cheaper, it's not DX and aside from some unusual distortion it reviews quite favourably.
(Also I believe no Auto-Focus which doesn't bother me)

I loved the Tokina 11-16 on my D90 but as cheaper alternatives appear to be available it's worth doing some research I think, especially if you want to make full use of your FX sensor.

tricky photography's gear list:tricky photography's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,390
The Tokina 11-16 on a full frame body - not too shabby !

I also still have the Tokina 11-16 and use it quite successfully from time to time on full-frame.

At 16mm it does an admirable job considering it is a DX lens.

I shot a whole series of architectural style shots for a client using this lens and posted a blog about it if anyone is interested in seeing what this lens can do. I will replace it some time in the future with a FF UWA, but until then I'm having fun with it !

Have a look at Shooting empty spaces

Note: not all images were shot with this lens, only the interior ones.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

Re: The Tokina 11-16 on a full frame body - not too shabby !

JacquesC wrote:

I also still have the Tokina 11-16 and use it quite successfully from time to time on full-frame.

At 16mm it does an admirable job considering it is a DX lens.

I shot a whole series of architectural style shots for a client using this lens and posted a blog about it if anyone is interested in seeing what this lens can do. I will replace it some time in the future with a FF UWA, but until then I'm having fun with it !

Have a look at Shooting empty spaces

Note: not all images were shot with this lens, only the interior ones.

Those are some great interior photos. Good sharpness, contrast. Did you adjust any for vignetting?

Would you basically take it as a 16mm 2.8 prime on FF?

I ask because (not for a while though) I intend to get a wide zoom for my DX and while I was eyeing the Tokina 12-24 , what I have been reading on this 11-16 2.8 is all good. Seems an exceptional lens and a 2.8 wide zoom with that quality for roughly 500 bucks seems a bit of a bargain, considering the relative pricing of other wides and not many with that sort of optical quality.

It does seem a bit better optically than the 12-24 and I am very much liking the images I am seeing on the image sites with this lens, very sharp across the frame, contrasty with good colour.

Plus, for the slim possibility I ever get FF it is nice to know it can still be used as a 16mm 2.8.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 25,604
Two year old post. YIKES.

I once put a full blown Corvette engine in a 37 Ford coupe. One quick sucker. All things are possible, but why not go with what works best?

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads