Nikon V1 - I've decided to buy one (selling my GH2)

Started Sep 22, 2011 | Discussions
zr3rs Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: Bizzare decision, if that is true.

tilariths wrote:

Nikon 1 is clearly inferior to m43 in everything of importance.

And who is defining "importance"?

Is AF important?

If no, why does nearly every professional camera have it, if it does not improve some aspect of photography.

If yes, how do you know that Nikon 1 is clearly inferior to m43 in autofocus? Every Nikon1 to every m43?

Please be reasonable. We can discuss relative merits, but sweeping "inferior/better" generalizations are rarely useful.

larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,105
Re: Lie

Poweruser wrote:
[snip]

If you are looking for a reason to spend money on new toys because you want to play than be true about it. Otherwise there is no reason in owning an "in-between" camera between a DSLR and compact. Its just one more disposable digital thing in a household full of it.

Will it help you - or anyone - to improve photographically? I have my doubts...

Go to the m43 and ask around. You'll hear from many people who own a P&S compact, an m43, and a DSLR system. I'm one of them. I use m43 when I want something lighter than my DSLR (for traveling/hiking) but also want the focal length flexibility of an interchangeable lens camera.

I didn't buy m43 to improve my photographic skill. I bought it because it will give me the combination of features and convenience (ie: size/weight) that I wanted. That means I will have the right camera with me to capture certain photo opportunities.

Cameras are tools, nothing more, nothing less. Insisting that every tool bring you one step closer to being a better practitioner of an art or craft is idealistic thinking. I buy tools to suit the task and to make the job easier.

larsbc

maljo@inreach.com Veteran Member • Posts: 7,578
Highly Automated

just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Shoot 20 images and let the camera pick the best ones?
No PSAM dial?

I like being in control. That's a lot of the fun of photography.

I don't want the camera making command decisions any more
than I want my word processor writing paragraphs for me.

However, there is nothing wrong with trying it, so go for it.
eBay will be there when you need them again!

maljo

maljo@inreach.com's gear list:maljo@inreach.com's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500 Nikon D850
photoforfun Veteran Member • Posts: 6,084

tilariths wrote:

I tested GH1 and was very disappointed about its AF. With the 45mm macro lens it couldn't AF on an elephant . I expect 1 to blow away Pan GH1-2 about AF.
AF is one of the most important things in a cam TMHO...

-- hide signature --

Kindest regards,
Stany
http://www.fotografie.fr/
http://www.fotografie.fr/fotoforum/index.php

I prefer one really good picture in a day over 10 bad ones in a second...

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,980
Small metal rangefinder body w EVF, fast AF...

I am surprised so few mention the EVF and fast AF of the V1 as outstanding features. Those are really strong points, the only competitor is the NEX7 if you want a rangefinder like body. However cost and lens size makes the Nex 7 less fitting as a supplementary system IMO.

All the Olympuses and the NEX 3 and Nex 5 needs bulky optional EVFs for the same functionality. And the AF of the V1 is probably the best.

D200_4me wrote:

I've seen enough. The innovative new features, the image quality from the samples we've seen so far on various web sites and the size...it works for me.

For me, this will be my in-between camera. At the moment the GH2 is my in-between camera. I'll be using it mostly on family trips when I don't want to lug my D700 and when my LX5 isn't good enough. I see enough Sure, I know this is not for everyone, but for me, I think it will work out great. I'm putting my 4 month old GH2 w/14-140mm up for sale to pay for the Nikon V1 kit with the 10mm f/2.8 and 10-30mm. Looking forward to it

DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 34,533
Re: Lie

D200_4me wrote:

Anyway, the image quality and the new innovative features of the Nikon 1 is enough to convince me to buy one as my middle camera (in between my D700 and LX5).

But do you 'need' a LX5 and a Nikon V1?
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850
Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,501
You full of

Inaccurate facts!

I found out long ago that one camera can not fill all my needs and own several DSLRs, M9 rangefinder, D-Lux 5 and a Panny 4/3rds.

I, too, have ordered a two lens V1 kit to replace the 4/3rds Panny.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
jpvann Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: I Object Strongly to this Post

"It's far past time for civility to be restored to these forums"

No Kidding! I don't understand the nasty comments just because someone has a personal opinion about an inanimate object. Often like two six year olds fighting on the playground.....
--
Jer 23:29
http://bit.ly/oBK0JZ

G Davidson Regular Member • Posts: 166
Re: why not a medium sized camera?

I too am strongly considering the V1, if not to replace a M 4/3 camera, instead of one anyway. Having a built in EVF is one of my requirements over a compact and the image processing looks excellent, making up for any problems in the lens or sensor size. In fact, it has opened my mind to the fact that digital cameras are steadily getting more dependant on electronics and overcoming supposed optical limitations. Panasonic did great things here with their lens corrections and now Nikon and others are following them.

As well as the AF (which I've tried and works wonders), Nikon has their own processing. This could well make up for the smaller sensor and also the co ours will be more similar to what I get from my Nikon DSLRs. That's right- the different look I get from my LX5 is out of harmony with the shots from my Nikon. It could be that this CX mount will let me have a compact Nikon giving me photos with a similar quality, something I've never had before. I'm personally waiting for a price drop and some reviews, though...
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pefectfutures/

G Davidson's gear list:G Davidson's gear list
Nikon D610
Lobalobo
Lobalobo Senior Member • Posts: 2,444
Re: Nikon V1 - I would buy one (if I had not bought mFT)

SantaFeBill wrote:

Escaping wrote:

But do these average folks understand the advantage of interchangeable lenses? And are they willing to carry around 2 or 3 extra lenses? If not, and they're only going to use one lens on the camera, why not buy a fixed-lens one?

First of all, these "average folks" are not idiots. (You may not be either, but from your post, not so sure.) Second, my guess is that both Canon and Nikon sell more SLRs to consumers who buy only one lens than to those who own multiple lenses. So this camera will be no different if it works out this way.

jenella
jenella Senior Member • Posts: 1,007
Re: Nikon V1 - I've decided to buy one (selling my GH2)

good Image quality on the samples??? really?? I must need glasses or a new monitor. NO DOF, dull colors, most seem out of focus. This sold you??

jenella's gear list:jenella's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838

Interesting. The Nikon 1 is smaller. It uses a much newer sensor than most of the m43. It has much, much higher data-readout. It has much, much more advanced, groundbreaking AF. Thanks to this, it has full AF-S legacy support. It has a magnesium frame instead of polycarbonate. It has more direct controls than most Panasonics and Olympuses. What did I miss?

tilariths wrote:

Re: Highly Automated

It of course has PASM modes, but you have to choose which one you use from the menu. The camera has one control-dial and one control-rocker. So you can adjust your aperture and shutter-speed separately. All current Panasonics have only one control-dial. Only the E-P3 offer two.

A multinav with a control-wheel, a control-rocker and a FN button.

A single control dial

A single control dial.

maljo@inreach.com wrote:

No PSAM dial?

maljo

Re: Nikon V1 - I would buy one (if I had not bought mFT)

The perception that interchangeable lenses mean better image quality is deeply enrooted in most of us. The average customer will see a Nikon interchangeable camera with a nice short and long lens kit, and the sales-rep will have very hard time trying to explain why the one with Nikon on it might be a tad worse than the one with Panasonic on it. If they even bother to try, as for them, a sale is a sale. More likely they'll just point out that it has all these cool modes and come in all kinds of colors.

SantaFeBill wrote:

But do these average folks understand the advantage of interchangeable lenses? And are they willing to carry around 2 or 3 extra lenses? If not, and they're only going to use one lens on the camera, why not buy a fixed-lens one? If they want interchangeable lenses, and are willing to deal with carrying several, I don't see them as 'average folks' so far as their photography is concerned.

DonParrot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,967

Jon Rty wrote:

Interesting. The Nikon 1 is smaller. It uses a much newer sensor than most of the m43. It has much, much higher data-readout. It has much, much more advanced, groundbreaking AF. Thanks to this, it has full AF-S legacy support. It has a magnesium frame instead of polycarbonate. It has more direct controls than most Panasonics and Olympuses. What did I miss?

You are right in everything apart from the last point.

Four of the six latest µFT offerings have got more to far more direct controls than the new Nikons. Nonetheless, I think the V1 is one hell of an interesting camera and if the reviews confirm that the C-AF works as it is claimed, this is the breakthrough that will mean - on the mid term - the end for the anachronistic mirror.

I truly could imagine buying a V1 or its successor when the faster lenses are available.
--

Why not - if there's enough space on the sofa...

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +13 more
Leo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,294
Re: Agreed

The test shots clearly showed that the camera is behind the Olympus 4/3 Pens. However, for small prints and Internet it is plenty as long as keeping ISO at 1600/800 or bellow. The ISO 1600/800 is the boarder line. The lower ISO allow better colors and less noise and images can be be printed larger or cropped more. In general, at this time the sensor is just to small for enthusiasts and the camera with changeable lenses is to much for P&Ss
Leo

Leo's gear list:Leo's gear list
Pentax K-S2 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR

Jon Rty wrote:

"What did I miss?" - How the camera would be used .... 8x10 up to 11x14 not cropped at low ISO, Internet, monitor and social net media. The camera is too small to crack walnuts
Leo

tilariths wrote:

Jon Rty wrote:

It of course has PASM modes, but you have to choose which one you use from the menu. The camera has one control-dial and one control-rocker. So you can adjust your aperture and shutter-speed separately. All current Panasonics have only one control-dial. Only the E-P3 offer two.

A multinav with a control-wheel, a control-rocker and a FN button.

A single control dial

A single control dial.

maljo@inreach.com wrote:

No PSAM dial?

maljo

I see this camera as a new wave of P&S cameras for more sophisticated point-shooters who also like to have NIKON label on the camera with all attached barging about number of AF points and shots per second.
Leo

So you maintain that a sensor from 2008 is better than a sensor from 2011, just because the difference in sensor size? Does that then mean that every APS-C camera since 2005 has better IQ than any of the m43 cameras using the 12mp sensor? And you're basing this opinion on photos taken with unreleased cameras converted in different converters under differing parameters?

Leo wrote:

"What did I miss?" - How the camera would be used .... 8x10 up to 11x14 not cropped at low ISO, Internet, monitor and social net media. The camera is too small to crack walnuts
Leo

tilariths wrote:

So you see the camera with the most manual controls as a new wave of P&S cameras? What are the m43 cameras then, the digital wave of the Olympus Mu?

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_mju_mju__-ii.htm

Leo wrote:

I see this camera as a new wave of P&S cameras for more sophisticated point-shooters who also like to have NIKON label on the camera with all attached barging about number of AF points and shots per second.
Leo

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads