NEX7 Made in same factory in Thailand?

Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions
rurouni Regular Member • Posts: 427
NEX7 Made in same factory in Thailand?

Just curious from a business perspective. For those who managed to try a preview NEX7, did you happen to notice where the camera was assembled in?

SAERIN
SAERIN Contributing Member • Posts: 759
Re: NEX7 Made in same factory in Thailand?

Hi,

Did a google image search for NEX 7. No image of the bottom base plate that would have that information as to "Made in."

It' does not matter to me where it would be manufacture.

Apple's many products are manufactured in China and Taiwan.

Some item of your clothing you are wearing now; dollars to doughnuts has the China label.

-- hide signature --

saerin

SAERIN's gear list:SAERIN's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Ricoh GR
Framerate Senior Member • Posts: 1,000

SAERIN wrote:

Hi,

Did a google image search for NEX 7. No image of the bottom base plate that would have that information as to "Made in."

Some item of your clothing you are wearing now; dollars to doughnuts has the China label.

It's Thaiiland, definitely. There's a video review that shows the baseplate.

I made a point of lookng for it because I was hoping it might be made in Japan

http://vimeo.com/28111764

Rawfed
Rawfed Regular Member • Posts: 173

I just got a NEX-5N and it's made in Thailand too. Did Sony switch to Thailand because of the Japan problem (radiation)? Or are they cheaping out on us?

It matters to me if an item is made in China/Thailand or Japan. Japan is known for it's very high quality electronics and lenses, China and Thailand are known for cheap- poor quality.

Timbit_revolution Forum Member • Posts: 93

The NEX line as far as I know has always been made in Thailand. As for the quality perception, so far so good with my NEX, the thing is quality.

Rawfed

Timbit_revolution wrote:

The NEX line as far as I know has always been made in Thailand. As for the quality perception, so far so good with my NEX, the thing is quality.

Yes you are correct. I did not know. http://asia.cnet.com/a-visit-to-sonys-alpha-facility-in-thailand-62204436.htm

I am having a problem with my NEX-5N that I just got and this is worrying me, so I am not having trust in Thailand right now.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=39409069

Phil Loughran Veteran Member • Posts: 3,407

Rawfed wrote:

I just got a NEX-5N and it's made in Thailand too. Did Sony switch to Thailand because of the Japan problem (radiation)? Or are they cheaping out on us?

It matters to me if an item is made in China/Thailand or Japan. Japan is known for it's very high quality electronics and lenses, China and Thailand are known for cheap- poor quality.

Blimey, you must have had your head buried somewhere to still be thinking like that. Nikon has been producing high quality cameras in Thailand for a number of years. You must know that the Japanese have been off-shoring for decades to lower production costs not to lower standards. Thats why these companies set Quality Control standards.

If you ever visit Thailand and their production facilities you will understand the pride in which the workers take in their jobs...probably one of the reasons why western manufacture has been left decimated. When I'm in Thailand I'm always astounded at how important education is to the families, again there's pride in going to school, children from wealthy and poorer families mix in schools wearing the cleanest and neatest of uniforms. The way they return home and sit down to study, and do homework, something I don't think I see here in the UK.

I've been going to Thailand a lot to visit family, and whilst I know places aren't perfect, (witness the recent Red/Yellow shirt political troubles), sweeping statements that they're known for poor quality products I think is simply wrong, you conveniently overlook or don't register, the quality products produced in these places.

Sure there's a lot of cheap fake stuff produced there, it's free enterprise and opportunism, unrestrained capitalism! I think the days of 'made in' prejudice should be coming to an end...what next...when Canonikon open in other developing areas, are we going to say the same thing about a camera made in say..Abuja, when it has a Nikon or Sony label?

As for quality products out of Japan, I own an SD10, and SD14, and they must have had a QC bypass...the cameras are crude and the firmware crashes, they have internal dust and shedding shutters that drop debris and grease on the sensor....power problems...according to Sigma...what power drain problems...locking up...etc etc... sweeping statements about places and QC are nonsense IMO, crap's produced all over the world, as are some of the top products!

OP rurouni Regular Member • Posts: 427

This wasn't meant as a post to imply that 'Made in Thailand' isn't as good as 'Made in Japan'.

I was just reading an article about how more Japanese firms are using factories outside of asia for various reasons (economies of scale, close to key customers etc) and was curious if this was also the case for the 'flagship' NEX7.

For what its worth, my NEX5 has been working pretty well so I have no issues with Made in Thailand. But its interesting to know that the factory in Thailand is so advanced.

OP rurouni Regular Member • Posts: 427

Framerate wrote:

SAERIN wrote:

Hi,

It's Thaiiland, definitely. There's a video review that shows the baseplate.

I made a point of lookng for it because I was hoping it might be made in Japan

http://vimeo.com/28111764

I looked through the video, which part shows the baseplate? I only saw one scene showing the battery cover but no clear markings, I may have missed it

mac west
mac west Senior Member • Posts: 1,716

How many Chinese zeiss lenses do they sell ? Or Cuban Made Porches? I always buy want I want and you can ask any question you want without the thought police attacking you.
--
SHOOT TO THRILL: MAC WEST NYC

mac west's gear list:mac west's gear list
Sony RX1R II Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Davidgilmour Senior Member • Posts: 1,443

Rawfed wrote:

Everything in Thailand gets a happy ending! So don't worry about the Nex7!

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,311

Rawfed wrote:

For locally made, local market stuff, yes, quality is highly variable. Cheap usually means low quality.

But the Sony (and Nikon) cameras, Hitachi hard drives, are made for international consumption. The Quality (ie: quality control) is a function of the company (Hitachi/Nikon/Sony), NOT the location of manufacture.

Bear in mind that the reputation of the company hinges on the quality of their products. Do you think Hitachi, Nikon or Sony would put their international reputation at stake by allowing QC to be less than the standards they have set for the product - regardless of where it is manufactured?

The primary reason for the shift to China or Thailand is the low cost of labor. However Sony corporation is responsible for the implementation of all quality control.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +47 more
GodSpeaks

Phil Loughran wrote:

When I'm in Thailand I'm always astounded at how important education is to the families, again there's pride in going to school, children from wealthy and poorer families mix in schools wearing the cleanest and neatest of uniforms. The way they return home and sit down to study, and do homework, something I don't think I see here in the UK.

You definately need to do a little indepth research into the Thai educational system. It is abysmal, probably one of the worst in Asia. And the rich and poor absolutely DO NOT mix together. Thailand is a very stratified society, and a very very patriachal system at that.

Thailand is corrupt to the core, and the educational system is no less corrupt. The rich do not go to school, they simply buy their diplomas and degrees.

Next time you are in Thailand, open your eyes.

I write this from my condo on Asoke. I live here, I know what I am talking about.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +47 more
GodSpeaks
LOL

Davidgilmour wrote:

Everything in Thailand gets a happy ending!

LOL, good one.

-- hide signature --

• Rayna Butler

Rawfed

Phil Loughran wrote:

Blimey, you must have had ...

Who the hell is Blimey?

Rawfed

GodSpeaks wrote:

Phil Loughran wrote:

When I'm in Thailand I'm always astounded at how important education is to the families, again there's pride in going to school, children from wealthy and poorer families mix in schools wearing the cleanest and neatest of uniforms. The way they return home and sit down to study, and do homework, something I don't think I see here in the UK.

You definately need to do a little indepth research into the Thai educational system. It is abysmal, probably one of the worst in Asia. And the rich and poor absolutely DO NOT mix together. Thailand is a very stratified society, and a very very patriachal system at that.

Thailand is corrupt to the core, and the educational system is no less corrupt. The rich do not go to school, they simply buy their diplomas and degrees.

Next time you are in Thailand, open your eyes.

I write this from my condo on Asoke. I live here, I know what I am talking about.

-- hide signature --

• Rayna Butler

Thanks for your insight from being right there!

Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 6,652

Rawfed wrote:

Rubbish. Thailand makes a wide range of products from high quality to less so. They have done this for years. Nothing wrong with the quality of Honda cars for example. In terms of quality control, which would you rather buy, a Honda or a car off a USA assembly line? And I don't mean this to be direspectful of the USA either. Thailand has had a sophisticated optical industry for years. It's one of the best place s to buy spectacles for example. You would be amazed at the number of high end brands that are actually manufactured in Thailand and this happens across all kinds of products. Check where Timberland gets made (but you rarely see this brand on sale in Thailand).

And I did note Rawfed that you live in Thailand. For over twenty years my wife (who speaks Thai) and I have been travelling regularly to Thailand on business. We have many friends there in all kinds of areas of Thai life. I agree with some of your comments on corruption, but that has nothing to do with quality control at camera production lines.
--
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha a7R II
Khun_K
Khun_K Senior Member • Posts: 1,103

And what is the problem? A Japanese car made in China or India may be better quality than some in Detroit. Apple produce their computer in China not because it is cheaper but because they can meet the demand of quantity and quality. It is made by SONY, not by where they located. Although in this case, I think SONY today does not represent best design and quyality, but I use NEX-5 and will get the NEX-7. SONY is not good enough but there are something out there worse.

Khun_K's gear list:Khun_K's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Sony RX1R II Leica Q leica m edition 60 Sony Alpha a7R II +122 more
John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035

Rawfed wrote:

Phil Loughran wrote:

Blimey, you must have had ...

Who the hell is Blimey?

That's funny

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=blimey#hl=en&q=blimey&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=Dvp6TvCGAs2Z0QXQ4L2jAw&ved=0CCwQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=d4cc1c5c4cce5540&biw=1280&bih=678

-- hide signature --

John Bean [GMT+1 aka BST]

John Bean (UK)'s gear list:John Bean (UK)'s gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 6,652

mac west wrote:

How many Chinese zeiss lenses do they sell ? Or Cuban Made Porches? I always buy want I want and you can ask any question you want without the thought police attacking you.
--

Now read all the responses to the OP. Praise be for thought police who raise questions about loose statements and inuendo that otherwise is likely to be accepted as "fact".

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha a7R II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads