Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1

Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions
Axion Regular Member • Posts: 237
Re: Nikon need a mulligan

Ilkka Nissilä wrote:

Really?

10 megapixel stills at a rate of 60 frames per second, with single point AF.

Honestly... I thought the 10FPS for Sonys were a gimmick. Well 60FPS? What am I suppose to do with all those pictures except clogging up the memory card.

JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,476
They are going to have to pay somebody big

...to come out and say "Stop the presses! Yes, on paper this camera shouldn't work, BUT IT DOES!! Holy cow it's the greatest thing ever! You've got to try one! The sensor has leaped over TWO quantums to produce the best images this side of a D700!"

or something.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +5 more
trekkeruss Veteran Member • Posts: 3,899
Re: Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1

tissunique wrote:

And it could all have been so simple:

A very fast fixed zoom - 24-104 F2.8 (effective)
At least a DX sensor, even better an FX sensor

Umm, that would be a large camera.

tosvus Regular Member • Posts: 124

It's almost like starting over. You may as well consider other cameras in the same category, like Sony Nex. Look at all the features of each camera, and preferably hold/test them at a store. Don't get locked into Nikon brand, with such few advantages in lens-sharing and whatnot.

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,334

How do we know how much room the AF and electronics take up? On paper, the AF will slay all its competitors, maybe even all dslrs, there is some remarkable tech in this thing, I don't think most people realize how advanced this thing is.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +10 more
Hyu New Member • Posts: 8

I don't know what is problem with all the people, but I will preorder V1 as soon as its available here in europe, it will support my D7000 as more lifestyle camera as I rarely bother carrying all the huge lenses with me.

Of course I will still take D7000 with me to photography trips and such but I won't take it with me when I go with children to theme park or similar situation, its just too troublesome. Thus V1 will fill this cap nicely.

IQ ja ISO are much better what I expected and I have nothing bad to say from them. Pricing might be bit too high for some people but I expect it will go bit down after first six months.

Also one what I'm quite intrested is how good are they with recording video, sound quality and everything. I wish I could replace my Sony handycam with V1, one less item to carry around..

Daniel Browning Senior Member • Posts: 1,058
You fail it

For me personally, it's an epic fail. But I think there is a large demographic where it will be a win, so that makes it an epic win for Nikon.
--
Daniel

Photato
Photato Senior Member • Posts: 2,526
Sights!!!! you don't geit!

I think is a win because the iconic new Nikon 1 system is designed to become one with the user and their lifestyle, providing a unique form of expression with amazing image quality, speed and portability.

This camera allows for new ways to tell stories through photography, driven by imaginative next-generation technology.

Therefore it is a win! LOL

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +9 more
smarter Contributing Member • Posts: 549
Re: Sights!!!! you don't geit!

Photato wrote:

This camera allows for new ways to tell stories through photography, driven by imaginative next-generation technology.

An important question to ask: Are YOU telling the story you want to, or are you just reading the letters in the book...

Without intuitive controls and shallow DOF when you want it, this isn't a great storyteller...It's just a good P&S with interchangeable lenses.

smarter's gear list:smarter's gear list
Fujifilm XQ2 Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-Pro2 +10 more
Aberoni Regular Member • Posts: 189

RadarK wrote:

The only people who will buy it are the Nikon fanboys and those who don't know how to comparison shop.

-- hide signature --

That is already a big success, Nikon's user base is big.

bryanbrun Contributing Member • Posts: 772

Mebyon K wrote:

Finally a number of critical comments are being made concerning the quoted price, which is compared to the 'street' price of similar cameras.

The E-PM1 was announced 3 weeks ago at a list price of $499. It is now available at the street price of $499.

Nikon mirrorless can fluctuate all it wants in the next 6 months. They won't get close to the E-PM1 in price, or in quality so they don't have a chance in the market place.

JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,476
Epic Gall

Nikon press material.

wow.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +5 more
Ilkka Nissilä Veteran Member • Posts: 4,107
Re: Nikon need a mulligan

You can photograph sequences of fast-moving objects and pick the right frame.

The shooting will begin before you even trigger the button so you can record something you actually "missed".

BBC used this kind of a feature to shoot a white shark catch prey, jumping out of the water. Very impressive. And at the time this kind of equipment was extremely expensive.

If you don't like something, you don't have to buy it. Clearly, Nikon is thinking out of the box here.

Honestly... I thought the 10FPS for Sonys were a gimmick. Well 60FPS? What am I suppose to do with all those pictures except clogging up the memory card.

rockygag Senior Member • Posts: 1,299
just give me a Digital FM and be done with it!

Get the microlenses on the sensor together, make it full frame

Build a DSlr the same size as an FM

Sell an ultra premium on with no autofocus for 1.5K more, but in a presentation box.

Sell the bog standard AF one for about 2400 and be done with it! It diffirentiate by NOT having all the speed and AF cruft ...... It's a small niche, but it keeps Leica afloat.

and personally, it will stop me from leaving the system!

YMMV

Dave

Aberoni Regular Member • Posts: 189

Visualiza wrote:

It actually seems a lot better than what I had initially concluded from the info around the rumor mill. I'll wait to see how it develops, but it looks very promising thus far. The lens roadmap already beats NEX handily.

-- hide signature --

The NEX ( and M43) roadmap is a DSLR replacement, see the NEX-7, not just another compact camera.

Canon and Nikon already dominated the DSLR market, and the lens factors made the customers difficult to shift (they tie you up, restrict you, don't understand why some people are still happy and even proud of it), so their form factor must be something as a competitor of the NEX, M43 and Samsung, but is NOT replacing their DSLR demand.

So the question for the Nikon users is: if the image quality and features of a compact system is as good as your DSLR, will you shift? If yes, the 1 series seems not a DSLR replacement, the only option is shifting brand. This will be the final answer to Epic win or Epic fail.

alfredo_tomato
alfredo_tomato Veteran Member • Posts: 4,217

Just as long as they are pushing each other to innovate, that's fine with me. It doesn't matter who wins, as long as we get good quality equipment at a reasonable price.

I have felt that both companies have been too conservative, and have been left behind by the smaller, more nimble companies like Panasonic and Olympus. Sure, they don't play in the same markets, but they are stealing the mindshare from the big two.

Remember when Apple was a pipsqueak of a company and Microsoft, Dell, HP, and IBM controlled the market? Remember, Apple's products were laughed at because they didn't have floppy drives, didn't have all the bells and whistles of the gamer PC's. They laughed at the iPad because it didn't use Flash.

So don't dismiss the Nikon 1 just yet. Nikon has the name, and the marketing power to make it work.

alfredo_tomato's gear list:alfredo_tomato's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
tilariths Regular Member • Posts: 109
Fail. But not a particularly epic one.

Just a typical example how a corporation is deadly afraid to compete with itself.

One group designed this toy. DLSR group whined about not stepping up on their turf.

The result - fail.

I see what you did there...

But all that could be achieved by getting a Leica compact made by Panasonic.

It's sad

Especially how Panasonic video quality is nothing short of excellent.

BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,903
Success -- Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1

I am guessing Nikon 1 system will be a winner. It fits in a sensor size niche that will appeal to large numbers of people wanting more than 1/2.3 P&S. Most people shoot under good lighting conditions (daylight) so the sensor is big enough. It will successfully coexist with m43, NEX etc. The price seems high but it is a Nikon so premium price is expected.
I have not read this long thread so my apologies if my words are redundant.
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads