Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1

Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions
venice Senior Member • Posts: 1,973
Re: Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1

jerrycambuk wrote:

The killer feature for me is the supposed instant AF and no lag. If this is proved in the reviews then Nikon might just have made a worthwhile compact P&S for those with kids such as myself, and then the 1 system suddenly becomes very interesting. I don't bother with a compact camera at the moment because they are all just too slow for candid photographs of my son.

The Olympus E-P3 and other just released models have blazing fast AF and a far larger sensor than the Nikon in an equally small package.

My E-P3 has faster and more responsive and more accurate AF than any Nikon camera I have ever used. That includes my old D700 and D3 and my current D3x. It works great with kids.

Best,

Bill

linear Contributing Member • Posts: 572
NEVER - Weird crop factor

1.5 is passable for mental calculations.
2.7 is bad.

FAIL

alfredo_tomato
alfredo_tomato Veteran Member • Posts: 4,126

First off, I am not a Nikon user. I've always used Canon and now Oly. That aside, I must say Nikon has made a beautiful little camera. I hope they scare the crap out of their competition, forcing them innovate.

So hooray for Nikon for taking a risk with the One series. OK, Canon, let's see what you got.

alfredo_tomato's gear list:alfredo_tomato's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Photato
Photato Senior Member • Posts: 2,472
CX system has potential but for now...

CX system has potential but for now it seems a failure with the current bodies.

Lens line is okay, but I'd have added a Fast prime to please the Nikon high end crowd or at least made an announcement of upcoming fast lenses.

The V1 body is way overpriced for what it offers. I mean, No standard Hotshoe, no PASM Dial modes, no internal flash and no articulated screen (useful for video).

How retarded is to not include a PASM dial, it cost almost nothing. I mean, c'mon.

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +9 more
Daniel Oh Contributing Member • Posts: 515

So who would buy this camera besides those who have money to spare and needs to have all new tech or Nikon products?

P&S users: Too expensive and too bulky still.

P&S users who wants to learn more about photography: Where are the command dials? It is still more expensive than D3100, or one of the old M4/3 in the market.

DSLR who wants a really portable 2nd/third camera to carry everywhere: Lenses are still too bulky (Panasonic X are slimmer), where are the control buttons?

Nikon DSLR user who wants share some accessories/lenses: new flash!!!, adaptor make lenses bulky, the only reasonable lenses to use would be 35 f1.8 as portrait and 50-200 DX VR as smallish telezoom

etc

I am very excited about the new tecnology (like AF), but without good controls, new flash and the sizes of lenses... But I will pass. FAIL.

I gave Nikon a chance and have waited. now I am convinced: I will buy Olympus EP-3 or Panasonic GF-2 with Panasonic X lenses and a Nikon adaptor and use manual focus.
--
Daniel Oh

ps. I truly believe photography as a hobby is defined by the pleasure you get from the activity. It does not matter what equipment or results. I am a hobbyist and a very awful photographer (snapshooter is a better name) but a very happy one.

Daniel Oh's gear list:Daniel Oh's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +13 more
JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,246

alfredo_tomato wrote:

First off, I am not a Nikon user. I've always used Canon and now Oly. That aside, I must say Nikon has made a beautiful little camera. I hope they scare the crap out of their competition, forcing them innovate.

So hooray for Nikon for taking a risk with the One series. OK, Canon, let's see what you got.

Canon is laughing their asses off right now. Martinis and cigars all around! This saves Canon from having to jump in the CSC market for now, which they don't seem to want to do yet.

However, true to the game, Canon will now upstage Nikon with some other big announcement, probably tomorrow or in the next few weeks. 5DIII? Budget FF? Consolidation of the 1Ds/1D line? canonrumors.com has something about an imminent "Nikon killer"...

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Bubba Satori Junior Member • Posts: 44

Epic fail.

Nikon 1 and Pentax Q have jumped the shark together.
Amazing.

Xhinzo Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: CX system has potential but for now...

Precisely. Honestly there is nothing wrong with the technology that has been introduced. The major issue for me is the pricing. The v1 is just too much money for what it has to offer. The J1 I think is acceptable.

Delos
Delos Contributing Member • Posts: 846
This video says it all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

Also check out today's Strobist...
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2011/09/nikon-announces-nikon-1-mirrorless.html
--

'Money may buy you a fine dog, but only love can make it wag its tail.' - Kinky Friedman, musician.

Delos's gear list:Delos's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Nikon D300 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +3 more
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,334
Re: Epic Fail

Noisy at IS0 400, even shadow noise at ISO 100.....

It is a glorified, expensive, P&S.

Epic fail.

-J

rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 24,916

jerrycambuk wrote:

Furthermore, the claimed focussing speed and shooting time lag could make this supposedly worthless compact into the only camera apart from a fully blown DSLR which is actually fast enough for kid and sports photography, but in a small package. And that is a huge positive.

This is the key point, let's wait for user reports on that. IQ seems pretty decent, at least on par with my old 10MP D80.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Trollshavethebestcandy
Trollshavethebestcandy Contributing Member • Posts: 503

Bubba Satori wrote:

Epic fail.

Nikon 1 and Pentax Q have jumped the shark together.
Amazing.

Lol
+1
Synchronized shark jumping.
I was going to say the 1 and the Q are inbred cousins

tissunique Veteran Member • Posts: 3,304

So, it's ok for the wife and ok for your 2.5 year old which makes it an epic win...

and obviously for pocket money - not! Over here in the UK the V1 will be over £1000... Also the sample images I've seen hardly leave a warm feeling, they're awful.

I'm afraid this new Nikon release has confused the hell out of me, and I'm not sure who it's targeted at. Nikon has left the door wide open for its competitors so for me:

EPIC FAIL

Re:nothing epic

A good second body for slr users...??? In what way? I just don't see it... Perhaps you mean that existing F lenses can be used...Can you visualise a 24-70 sitting on the end of this little thing?

Trollshavethebestcandy
Trollshavethebestcandy Contributing Member • Posts: 503

Over priced + slow lenses = fail

And it could all have been so simple:

A very fast fixed zoom - 24-104 F2.8 (effective)
At least a DX sensor, even better an FX sensor

Like the idea of good quality video and ability to snatch excellent stills plus speed is excellent.

jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,334

tissunique wrote:

So, it's ok for the wife and ok for your 2.5 year old which makes it an epic win...

and obviously for pocket money - not! Over here in the UK the V1 will be over £1000... Also the sample images I've seen hardly leave a warm feeling, they're awful.

I'm afraid this new Nikon release has confused the hell out of me, and I'm not sure who it's targeted at.

It's clearly targeted at P&S upgraders who think a DSLR is too big and has too many knobs on it, but who assume that an interchangeable lens system camera must be better, so they buy this one.

It's a glorified P&S. A VERY expensive, glorified P&S.

Of course, Nikon may also be backhandedly trying to shove those P&S upgraders into DSLRs with this....Although it may backfire on them some, since there is a lot of very good small interchangeable lens camera competition out there in a lower price range with better IQ....The smallest M4/3 cameras are very fast, equally tiny, (EPM1 and GF3), have better IQ, and are cheaper.....and there are more lenses available for them. The NEX systems are small (although they have bigger lenses) and have a terrific sensor and great name recognition also....

I think Nikon actually made a mistake with this system. Time will tell, though, I suppose...

-J

Perhaps they should have started at DX/FX and then gone small sensor...

The truth is this: I and many others expected something really special but not since the D3 and D300 has the company delivered something magical

BobSC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,714
EPIC! Win.

Am I the only one who gets it?

This is Nikon. They release a new lens mount about once a generation. Don't think about these cameras in terms of what they can do today. They don't need these cameras to be successful today. They need to succeed over a 20 to 50 year life cycle.

What will the sensors and the lenses be like in 5 years?

I just measured. The J1 body is about the size of my S95. Very small.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads