XZ-1 and low light video (focus hunting gone)

Started Sep 18, 2011 | Discussions
Kevdog
Kevdog Senior Member • Posts: 1,424
XZ-1 and low light video (focus hunting gone)

Posted this in another thread but thought it would be interesting for anyone trying to do video with the XZ-1 and worried about the focus hunting. Set the focus point to the center point and all is well.

I directly uploaded this video, so haven't done any post processing. It'll look much better with the brightness up, but this is straight out of the camera in low light with the single center focus point set. Pictures at the same location were taken at ISO200 f2 with 1/8 s shutter time (they were blurry until we added flash).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_K_q_MwfgY&feature=player_detailpage

I think the focus issue is all but gone when using this method. Looking through all our videos it did pretty well except in extremely low light.

Kevdog's gear list:Kevdog's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
suhardi New Member • Posts: 21
Re: XZ-1 and low light video (focus hunting gone)

I have tried the tip and it worked pretty well and improved a lot. Now no more ugly blurry videos of my kids. well done.

Kevdog
OP Kevdog Senior Member • Posts: 1,424

Glad to hear it!

We actually compared some of our videos from a previous Disney trip where we used our Canon HF10 (full 1920x1080 HD camcorder) against the videos we took with the XZ-1 using the center focus trick. In good light, the Canon HF10 wipes the floor with it (as it should, an expensive dedicated HD camcorder!). In low light, the XZ-1 actually shot better video with less grain due to the awesome lens!

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
rengineer Forum Member • Posts: 79

Great news, I am eager to try it! Can you please elaborate a bit, because I am not sure how to achieve this.

I am wondering have you referred to manual focus or automatic, but with central focusing point set? Mine focus point is always set to a center, both for pics and video - yet I still experience (horrible) focus hunting even on still objects!

Kevdog

I hit the left button on the control wheel and change it from the 13 point selection to just the center point selected. Then I start taking my video. When done, I set it back to the 13 point focus selection.

We very occasionally see focus hunting now whereas it happened frequently before.

Also, as we were reviewing video from our Canon HF10 (dedicated HD camcorder) it did occasionally hunt for focus in low light too.

OK, that's exactly what I am doing.

There is however one slight difference: when I press left button on the control wheel I already have (only) central point selected, do not have to change anything; if I do change, selection moves from one point to another, ending in selection of all 11 fields at the same time (11 not 13, right?).

So, I am wondering, when you press left button on control ring for the first time, you see all 11 fields selected in green, then you change it?

As mentioned, at this point I do have only central field selected in the following modes: P, A, S and M.

However, I have all 11 fields selected if I press left control ring button while camera is in ART mode.

Other modes (SCN, low light and iAUTO) do not provide possibility to change focus point this way.

Kevdog

Yes, I was going from memory, but I thought it was 3 rows of 3 plus 1 row of 2 on either end (13?) If not doesn't matter.

It sounds like you are already on the center focus bit like I do with good results. Maybe a difference in your camera? The only other hint which I haven't tried yet is to shoot video in A mode and stop the camera down to f5 or so for better depth of field for less focus hunting.

It seems like the XZ-1's seems to vary on the amount of focus hunting they do. Some people don't see it at all.... some do in a limited fashion and some have it all the time!

Yep, it seems like XZ-1 units do not have a constant quality across the production line.

It is not just video, pics quality as well! For example, I can not reach the quality of XZ-1 JPEGs provided under dpreview review. Not even close - NR in my unit simply smears all details, hair, clothes paterns - terrible.

I am speaking about out-of-camera JPEGs - mine XZ-1 acts like a very distant cousin to the unit dpreview used.

Kevdog

Sounds like your focusing is generally off.... you should get it serviced or return it if you still can!

I thought the same, but my JPEGs are perfectly clear and focused in most areas of the picture, yet in the areas that have some fine pattern, being thea a hair, grass or small pattern on the clothes - bang! - the area gets smeared.

This is not related to any specific region across different pictures, rather it changes from one photo to another and appears wherever fine pattern exists. I have no other idea but NR - it is just as a (heavy) NR result should look like.

On the other hand, focus hunting during video should be a completely different problem - I can clearly see movie having focus in-out and back again all the time. As mentioned, I have this problem even on still objects

azapa Forum Member • Posts: 53

I have the video issue bad, but fine detail, I really can't complain. This is just a random lunch shot, pped to Jpeg with standard settings (as it would probably come straight from cam). Check out the fish eggs and sesame seeds.

TPS88 Junior Member • Posts: 38

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It worked perfectly. The focus hunting in the video is the only major flaw in the XZ 1. Genius!

TPS88's gear list:TPS88's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7 III Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6
pippy100 Regular Member • Posts: 100

How can i take a video in low light with my olympus xz 1.
Which settings do I need to use or should I do custom settings?
I have tried to use it in low light inside. On the camera LCD screen it looks okay, but once its on the computer its barely seen.

Any help would be usefull.

joe6pack Senior Member • Posts: 1,599

trying increasing exposure compensation (Ev+)

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView +1 more
pippy100 Regular Member • Posts: 100

Thanks I will try that.
How do i do that, which setting do i need?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads