White Balance

Started Sep 13, 2011 | Discussions
Les Kamens Regular Member • Posts: 320
White Balance

happened on my D2x, D3 and now my D3s....when I use the PRE setting and shoot a white card each and every time the color goes orange. any suggestions out there?

Les Kamens's gear list:Les Kamens's gear list
Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon D3S Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
John Grant Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: White Balance

I believe you should use a Grey Card to overcome this issue
--
John

Al Tag Regular Member • Posts: 116

I quit the grey card and went to the ExpoDisc about 3 years ago and use it with D70 and D700 and it has never failed in all kinds of lighting. And Nikon makes it so easy to set custom white balance. If you change WB regularly, you may want to look into this.

Saturday, I shot the LSU ball game under bright sun, twilight and stadium lights from the press area and not one photo required color correction of any type.

-- hide signature --

Al Tag

Doug Pitts Senior Member • Posts: 2,089

...another vote for the expodisc...aim it at the light source, and fire.

RBudding Contributing Member • Posts: 699

Agreed. The Expodisc works very well.

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,987

I don't know what to tell you. The fact that you have this problem with three cameras points to your WB process. You have to be doing something wrong.

Are you filling e entire screen with the white card? Are you getting a Gd response from the camera after taking the WB reading?

Les Kamens wrote:

happened on my D2x, D3 and now my D3s....when I use the PRE setting and shoot a white card each and every time the color goes orange. any suggestions out there?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E +23 more
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,879

Yes, you have to fill the frame with a gray card on a nikon camera. The card does not have to be in focus and you must get a confirmation after shooting the card that the white balance setting is good.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
Matt in FL Veteran Member • Posts: 5,305
I know many love the Expo.. I have two for several years. They

gather dust. Used them with several pro sumer and up models of Nikon DSLR

My failing has always been in situations such as a press box, where I can NOT get to the area that the light source is falling on in order to sample it.
Any hints please.
--
MATT in NE_FL

Matt in FL's gear list:Matt in FL's gear list
DxO One
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,987
Re: I know many love the Expo.. I have two for several years. They

Not much you can do in that situation. But then, a grey card, white card, etc aren't going to do you much good either.
--
Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E +23 more

I was in the press box at LSU's Tiger Stadium the night of Sep 10. I pointed my D700 towards the field, took a WB reading, screen showed GOOD and I shot away. No color correction needed in CS5. I understand the directions with the Expo but I have found pointing the camera at the area of action to be effective. I do the same on the basketball court: whereas I am sitting at courtside, I point at the players during warmups, take the WB reading, get GOOD and am ready to go when the game begins.
--
Al Tag

b2martin_a Contributing Member • Posts: 686

When you set the custom white balance did you have the camera set on D-0? The camera stores the white balance reading in D-0, so if you don't have D-0 selected you are not using the white balance you measured.

Yes, D-0 stores the most recent WB until you select another of 4 storage settings and then can rename them. Usually, when shooting sports, I will only use the D-0 setting for custom WB. If the lighting changes, take another reading.
--
Al Tag

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads