Sony NEX-5N overheating in video and clicking noise

Started Sep 13, 2011 | Discussions
ntsan Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Sony NEX-5N overheating in video and clicking noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4lbUrKancE

http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0000281278/SortID=13488512/MovieID=797/

both videoshow clicking noise when moving around or paning, it didn't happen with previous NEX I think. (It never happen to my M43 camera, only OIS lens have it when turned off)

You can hear the sound both on and off when moving the camera or panning.. quite annoying really.

and there are report of overheating when doing video recording, about 20minutes or so on a hot summer day before need to cool down

ntsan's gear list:ntsan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM +4 more
RicksAstro
RicksAstro Veteran Member • Posts: 3,879
Re: Sony NEX-5N overheating in video and clicking noise

Clicking sounds like a metal strap clip...I hated the GH2's lug strap holders because of that.

Your overheating analysis sounds about right.

ntsan wrote:

both videoshow clicking noise when moving around or paning, it didn't happen with previous NEX I think

and there are report of overheating when doing video recording, about 20minutes or so on a hot summer day before need to cool down

-- hide signature --
OP ntsan Senior Member • Posts: 1,010

Ok I tried again this time by holding the metal clip thing and move around, there is noise coming from inside the camera definitely!

Nikon Coolpix 5400 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM +4 more
Rooru S Contributing Member • Posts: 939

Post again without the metal clip or holding the metal clip...that's quite strange...on my NEX-5 I never heard something like that...interesting...

ntsan wrote:

Ok I tried again this time by holding the metal clip thing and move around, there is noise coming from inside the camera definitely!

-- hide signature --

Proud Sony NEX 5 user

Rooru S's gear list:Rooru S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a7 II +15 more
sunhorse Senior Member • Posts: 1,802
Could be image stabilizer problem

ntsan wrote:

both videoshow clicking noise when moving around or paning, it didn't happen with previous NEX I think. (It never happen to my M43 camera, only OIS lens have it when turned off)

You can hear the sound both on and off when moving the camera or panning.. quite annoying really.

The sounds seem to occur more often while moving about. This could possibly be a problem with the image stabilizer in the lens. Can you try doing video again with a non-stabilized lens such as the 16 F2.8 or a legacy lens? If it is the lens, you can at least get a quick replacement.

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Sony a6600 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +2 more
Carmen Towles Senior Member • Posts: 1,996

You may have a defective camera. I shot video over the weekend and just now shot some video with no sound around the house and I dont hear this clicking noise in playback.

Carmen

Carmen Towles's gear list:Carmen Towles's gear list
Apple iPhone 5s

Better yet...it may be the lens. If you have another try video with it and let us know...

Apple iPhone 5s
OP ntsan Senior Member • Posts: 1,010

It is not the lens, I tried after taking the lens off and move around but the noise is there.. somewhere inside between the grip and mount area

rinceRepeat New Member • Posts: 7

I just recorded a video and noticed the clicking on my NEX-5n.
It's definitely coming from inside the body.

robert614 Senior Member • Posts: 1,744

I bought a nex-5n also and heard the same clicking inside.I thought it was defective so I returned it.Just got my new nex-5n and it has same clicking sound,but not quite as loud.I guess its normal but still quite annoying.I don't shoot much video so I can live with it.Otherwise the camera operates correctly.

sdgc New Member • Posts: 1

I have the same problem with my 3 day old NEX 5N. It's an amazing little camera and the video quality is great, but there's constant clicking when I have it on a sturdy mount in my car. From how loud the noise is, I'm not even sure the optional external mic would alleviate the problem much.

The click can be heard when the camera is rocked around with or without a lens mounted on. My camera was babied and never dropped. :\

Sean_Jayhawk
Sean_Jayhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,447

With this many folks reporting it, I am fairly concerned (i just ordered this morning). I do want to use the 5N for some video and clicking is a deal breaker.

Sean_Jayhawk's gear list:Sean_Jayhawk's gear list
Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Rokinon 135mm F2.0 +4 more
craiglester New Member • Posts: 12

I just tested mine too. I have that clicking noise with or without a lens attached, 16mm or 18-55 oss. There is definitely something loose in the camera. I have sent an email to the Amazon Vendor I purchased the camera from, asking about returning the camera. (on a side note the spare battery i got in a bundle from the vendor was incompatible with the 5n so i was going to be returning that for a refund anyway.)

I'm hoping the Vendor will take the whole bundle back, as there's definitely something up with the camera. I've never heard a camera rattle like this does before.

Guess I'll have to wait for my birthday present all over again

jmac35 Forum Member • Posts: 94

Just tested mine ... rocking it side to side and there is a clicking sound for sure.

It makes the noise when rocking the camera side to side or quick panning. In the videos I've taken so far, home movie type stuff, there has been no clicking because I'm not panning quickly and I'm definitely not rocking the camera.

Not a deal breaker for me but kinda annoying.

Shin Matsunaga Junior Member • Posts: 37

Both Nikon and Canon have a 12-20 minute continuous video recording limit to prevent overheating. There's nothing inherently wrong with the design of the NEX, Sony just didn't put in a software time limiter.

Also, i'm guessing that sound is the fully opened shutter, which would be a design flaw or a manufacturing defect with your camera.

anthny680 Regular Member • Posts: 199

I have the clicking issue as well, though like the previous poster I hadn't really noticed it (till reading this thread) since I don't do fast panning during video. This surely is an annoyance....

anthny680's gear list:anthny680's gear list
Sony a7 III
pectin232 Forum Member • Posts: 56

I am not going to sell the Nex 5 then.. good thing I found about this. I believe it might be a small defective and they might do a recall shortly. I will keep the Nex 5 for a bit now since I got it barely 1 month back. I almost sold it.... good thing I cancelled my ebay and Amazon listing. Since I do not mind not having touch screen and some other small luxuries. It would have been nice.

Mikelman New Member • Posts: 10

Also my 5N has the clicking noise when moving the camera around. Really disturbing in a silent or low noise scene recording with otherwise very good video results.
Must be a design flaw. Sony should fix this problem.

Well with this thread growing, I decided to try to see if I was mistaken and in fact did have some clicking going on. So I moved the camera around (without any video taping) briskly and heard nothing so there is nothing loose in my camera (thank god). So all is good in that regard. Then I took some video with fast panning and also moving the camera briskly twirling it around and I didn't hear anything moving about, camera is solid as a rock but when I played back the video I hear the clicking very much so. It is very loud. Then I reshot the video and moved the camera very slowly, in a normal panning way,etc and although it is not continuous there is clicking but it is ever so faint. I suspect there is two things going on here. Some have something loose in their cameras and there is a clicking noise when shooting video.

Apple iPhone 5s
zoranT Contributing Member • Posts: 926

The clicking is a deal breaker, cheap compacts do not have this. I wanted to order but now I am on hold until this issue is resolved (or not).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads