New Samsung Camera?

Started Sep 8, 2011 | Discussions
36exp New Member • Posts: 1
New Samsung Camera?

Last night I attended a market research session on a new camera design, they showed a mock up and spec of a new camera with a dSLR like spec and 24MP APS C size sensor, in a small retro body, with interchangeable lenses

There is more info on my blog:

http://www.blog.36exp.co.uk/2011/09/07/the-samung-retro-r1-dslr-spec-in-compact-body/

tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,221
Re: New Samsung Camera?

interesting; could be the NX20? I think that, if it's a Samsung, then it has to be a NX something. It would be meaningless to start a new line not compatible with the gorgeous NX lenses!

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
Compact40MP Regular Member • Posts: 171

Few days ago I thought that it would be good Samsung move if NX20 followed the NEX7 path. So, if they are reading these forums, let them know what you think about the idea. I think it would be great if NX20 is more like NEX7 concept (or Fuji X100 with interchangeable lenses) than like NX10.

tkpenalty Regular Member • Posts: 451

I just want a serious camera without any design paradigms attatched actually. A bit like the NX200. Although playing with a film camera the other day (F501), the amount of control I had made it a much easier shooting experience compared to today's cameras.

ac146 Regular Member • Posts: 322
 ac146's gear list:ac146's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS
timccr Forum Member • Posts: 53

Or was it a 'Classic+'? It depends on what the NX200 RAW files look like but I am starting to seriously consider an NX200 for now and a Classic plus when it comes out. Do we know anything about the Classic+?

tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,221

considering the suggested price of NX200, if this new camera "only" costs £616 then it's about on par with it or just slightly more. Then I doubt this is a classic+, which from the images we saw, should be positioned well above the NX200.

It would be interesting to know the development stage of this new product; if it's almost ready for the market, or if it's way far (thus it could even be a NX250/300 to be out in one year or more).

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
de_klaas Senior Member • Posts: 1,361

The 24MP part seems a bit strange to me. Samsung has most probably spent a lot of time and money on the development of the 20MP sensor. I can see them releasing all sorts of camera's with this sensor but I don't expect them to release a camera with another sensor anytime soon. That wouldn't make any sense at all.

de_klaas's gear list:de_klaas's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
nekramp Regular Member • Posts: 121

Not a fan of retro styling, but the spec sounds good. Can you elaborate on why the feedback was bad on the swivel screen?

nekramp's gear list:nekramp's gear list
Samsung NX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
worldcup1982 Senior Member • Posts: 1,071

Awful news, if people really respond "we would not buy if it was samsung"...its the marketing from samsung that is wrong.Go to the main digital cameras page on their site, the main photo is from the NX100, the NX200 appears in a shy way among a list of cameras below...i wonder who they called for this market research, and if because of this, this camera may never hit the market... great lenses, bad marketing:Samsung.

36exp wrote:

Last night I attended a market research session on a new camera design, they showed a mock up and spec of a new camera with a dSLR like spec and 24MP APS C size sensor, in a small retro body, with interchangeable lenses

There is more info on my blog:

http://www.blog.36exp.co.uk/2011/09/07/the-samung-retro-r1-dslr-spec-in-compact-body/

ericN2
ericN2 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,113

tecnoworld wrote:

interesting; could be the NX20? I think that, if it's a Samsung, then it has to be a NX something. It would be meaningless to start a new line not compatible with the gorgeous NX lenses!

Could of course be such as 'SX' which I think is an excellent possible choice - if any at all in the Samsung line. An 'NX' with any designation I'm sure is too much likened to the present NX - and this seems a lot different.

But I hope it IS Samsung that are developing this. I feel myself so delighted with the NX10 which I have now, in spite of the various quibbles that I read of this one , it is to me without a doubt one of the best and 'nicest to use' digital cameras that I think I've ever had... and I got into digital probably now over ten years ago. GOOD cameras , as such, are made by not only the quality of construction, the final output and maybe equal to, by the general handling, in just about every situation.. and the NX10 ticks all the boxes for me in that respect.

Samsung need something radically new of this kind to really give them a big boost..I feel sure they are capable..they just need the recognition which far too many people seem to be not giving them as yet, as I suppose it is true that they don't so far have the big background of the big names...and it is a fact that in spite of that large following of Nikon, Canon,and others of like type, they have dropped quite a few clangers in cameras they have made over the years.. they are NOT that much in front really, it's just that the good ones tend to overshadow the bad ones.

-- hide signature --

eric-UK
Staffordshire

ericN2
ericN2 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,113

nekramp wrote:

Not a fan of retro styling, but the spec sounds good. Can you elaborate on why the feedback was bad on the swivel screen?

I doubt if we'd ever see any real official feedback or statistics on this but it's a fact that a LOT of people - especially I'd think, the ones who want to buy and would actually buy a camera that has a much higher spec than 'normal'... a swivel screen I think is rarely a major desire on a "serious" camera.. or surely it would be used a lot more on top-class dSLRs...

I agree that a swivel/articulated can be very useful and nice to have on some occasions... but is it really what can be called a necessity or a must-have, for anyone buying a much higher-price and range camera...I don't think so.

-- hide signature --

eric-UK
Staffordshire

RMW487
RMW487 Contributing Member • Posts: 995

Someone is having a laugh. This does not sound like Samsungs way at all. If you had been shown a Samsung screen there would be no complaints.
RMW487.

RMW487's gear list:RMW487's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Nikon D40 +1 more

ericN2 wrote:

a swivel screen I think is rarely a major desire on a "serious" camera.. or surely it would be used a lot more on top-class dSLRs...

I don't think that's a very strong argument. Liveview on a DSLR is relatively new and generally not that usable. Most users will rely on the OVF. If you only have the screen to compose your shots the step to an articulated screen is far more logical. I bet we'll see more and more articulated screens on serious mirrorless camera's. And as the liveview on DSLRs catches up we'll see more articulated screens on DSLRs as well.

The demands of those using a camera for video would be another argument, I think.

Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
Alexramos
Alexramos Senior Member • Posts: 1,592

The actual NX200 sensor is a 20.3MPx sensor, could it be a really 24MPx sensor but downgraded to 20MPx for NX200?

If it is true and it is a Samsung NX camera, look like is almost done to be release to the market and I really doubt it use a different lenses system than NX.

About the screen, Samsung has to use the same EX1 screen on it...

Alexramos wrote:

The actual NX200 sensor is a 20.3MPx sensor, could it be a really 24MPx sensor but downgraded to 20MPx for NX200?

I was about to say no, but realised it could be true if the 24MP sensor is a multi-aspect sensor (like Panasonic uses in the GH series).

However, if I had to put my money on either a multi-aspect sensor or a fake rumor I wouldn't hesitate a second.

RMW487
RMW487 Contributing Member • Posts: 995

ericN2 wrote:

a swivel screen I think is rarely a major desire on a "serious" camera.. or surely it would be used a lot more on top-class dSlr.
-- de_klaa wrote;

I don't think that's a very strong argument. Liveview on a DSLR is relatively new and generally not that usable. Most users will rely on the OVF. If you only have the screen to compose your shots the step to an articulated screen is far more logical. I bet we'll see more and more articulated screens on serious mirrorless camera's. And as the liveview on DSLRs catches up we'll see more articulated screens on DSLRs as well.

The demands of those using a camera for video would be another argument, I think.

-- hide signature --

REPLY---
Totally agree.

I’m sick of fixed screens; it’s like living in the dark ages. Time we all moved on and used something more appropriate.
RMW487.

RMW487's gear list:RMW487's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Nikon D40 +1 more
Alexramos
Alexramos Senior Member • Posts: 1,592

Well, the post on that blog was removed... so, somebody copied it?

The WB750 BSI sensor is really a 14MPx sensor, but in this camera is a 12MPx, so, I think Samsung likes and have experience doing that...

SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,218
Mirrorlessrumors has it

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/a-mysterious-camera-the-samsung-retro-r1/comment-page-1/#comment-4560

Alexramos wrote:

Well, the post on that blog was removed... so, somebody copied it?

The WB750 BSI sensor is really a 14MPx sensor, but in this camera is a 12MPx, so, I think Samsung likes and have experience doing that...

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
worldcup1982 Senior Member • Posts: 1,071

Many are actually. One of the reasons the X100 is selling so well is the design...

nekramp wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads