Sony's take of their target market's photographic skills (NEX line)

Started Sep 1, 2011 | Discussions
JoesPhotoDrivel Regular Member • Posts: 232
Sony's take of their target market's photographic skills (NEX line)

After reading this it is apparent that Sony believes the average NEX user lacks photographic skills:

50mm f/1.8 Telephoto Lens
Model Number: SEL-50F18

"Frame everything perfectly while composing on the go for less editing later with a quality E-mount telephoto lens."

"Less editing later"...like an NEX user couldn't possibly have sufficient photographic skills to actually compose a useful image with no cropping after the fact?

Sony has some real knuckleheads in their marketing department.

-- hide signature --

Joe

anaksatawo Contributing Member • Posts: 657
Re: Sony's take of their target market's photographic skills (NEX line)

personally, i consider cropping "less editing".

just my .02

zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,574

Yeah, I took that completely differently, like the response above. It seems correct to me: "Less editing later" = having the skill to compose and frame properly while shooting, so that no post-processing cropping is needed to 'correct' the composure. What's wrong with that language?

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +22 more
mynakedsoda Contributing Member • Posts: 701
Don't put up with it.

JoesPhotoDrivel wrote:

After reading this it is apparent that Sony believes the average NEX user lacks photographic skills:

"Frame everything perfectly while composing on the go for less editing later with a quality E-mount telephoto lens."

"Less editing later"...like an NEX user couldn't possibly have sufficient photographic skills to actually compose a useful image with no cropping after the fact?

-- hide signature --

Joe

1. Don't put up with it. If I was you I would take it as a personal insult. Sell all your Sony gear for low prices (drives down the relative value on the secondary market for used gear). Never visit any Sony related forum again.

2. I think you are right about their marketing. Since you are such a marketing expert what would you suggest they should have done? Also I would love to see examples of your marketing that you have done for other camera companies in the past.

3. Perhaps you are taking this just a bit too personal? I mean not everyone buying photo gear is starting out the obvious photo guru you are. Some had to learn as they went not being the next Ansel Adams right out the starting gate like you.

Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 17,696

JoesPhotoDrivel wrote:

Until Sony comes out with their own editing software, at which point it will be encouraged.

You're not kidding there, though I think that's a mild example !

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
OP JoesPhotoDrivel Regular Member • Posts: 232
Re: Don't put up with it.

I have a message for you but I will refrain from sharing most of it with you, as tempting as it may be. I will say, that you can be the first to enter "Ignore-land" for me, a place reserved for douchebags.

mynakedsoda wrote:

JoesPhotoDrivel wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joe

1. Don't put up with it. If I was you I would take it as a personal insult. Sell all your Sony gear for low prices (drives down the relative value on the secondary market for used gear). Never visit any Sony related forum again.

2. I think you are right about their marketing. Since you are such a marketing expert what would you suggest they should have done? Also I would love to see examples of your marketing that you have done for other camera companies in the past.

3. Perhaps you are taking this just a bit too personal? I mean not everyone buying photo gear is starting out the obvious photo guru you are. Some had to learn as they went not being the next Ansel Adams right out the starting gate like you.

-- hide signature --

Joe

syntaxfree Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Don't put up with it.

Actually, based on the Nex focus group I participated in a few months ago, and the large-scale ad campaign for the Nex in my country (Singapore), it does appear to me that Sony does not expect the average Nex user to be much of a photography buff.

The people conducting the focus group seemed completely clueless that the camera could be used with legacy lenses, just to give one example.

mynakedsoda Contributing Member • Posts: 701
Someone needs a hug?

I guess my feeling should be hurt by someone lacking in any obvious knowledge on the subject they created a thread about? I think I'll survive.

Patman888 Regular Member • Posts: 497
Re: Someone needs a hug?

Um, their marketing department rules. Have you seen their latest ads and videos for their new cameras? I had negative 100 intentions of buying a NEX 7 but I probably will now because of that video. LOL

Anyways, marketing to the larger end of the population is the way to go right don't you think? Unless you think 4 billion of the 6.8 billion people in the world crop, you market ease of use for sure. I don't see the problem here.

RussellInCincinnati Veteran Member • Posts: 3,201
cool, you were in a Nex focus group. More observations?

Would love to hear what else you observed in the focus group, without getting too specific, that can help us understand Sony's marketing thoughts.

My own worthless opinion is that Sony is doing a good job of both expensive marketing to untrained photographers, who need marketing to be convinced of anything, and also supplying some quite obscure, high-tech gear like the new LAEA2 adapter, well-placed tripod mount on same, super fast shutter response features, etc...for advanced users who only need to see a product description and specification to be sold.

Carlgo Contributing Member • Posts: 532

Marketers have found that they really can't aim too low. We can just be happy when big companies actually produce products that are aimed at a smaller, more critical demographic.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads