Nikon 40mm AF-S Macro lens

Started Aug 27, 2011 | Discussions
MeneM Regular Member • Posts: 128
Nikon 40mm AF-S Macro lens

Yihaa! I'm as happy as a child with a new toy...

http://flic.kr/p/agJhov

Totally silent, but I need to be REALLY close to anything for a 1:1 macro though. (Long spider legs will touch the lens.. That close....)

Phillip S Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Nikon 40mm AF-S Macro lens

I'm surprised that there is not more on this lens -- Was it actually released on Thursday (Aug 25)? I am interested in it for my D5100, but there is very little from anyone purchasing the lens this week. Tell us (me) more.

OP MeneM Regular Member • Posts: 128

Well lets see, I'm no reviewer by any means.

Allright, it has this little switch that limits focusing distance from infinite to 20 cm., or from infinite to it's biggest macro 1:1 at 16.3 cm.

at it's closest 1:1 focus, the maximum aperture is 4.2, f3 at 1:10, f3.2 at 1:3, f3.3 at 1:2, f3.8 at 1:1.4 and f4 at 1:1.1. I doubt you will ever want such shallow depth of field though in your macro shots(?) usually work around f16 myself.

Bokehlicious (as the digitelrev tv reviewers would say). It's truly awe -inspiring. Soft and buttery. Much better than de 35 f1.8

Completely silent in focusing although very slow doing it. Luckily there's that little switch I told you about

Almost weightless, (On a d7000), large round hood. but when the macro lens comes fully extended, it's about 1cm larger. So it's a good lens protector. You can reverse mount it too.

What else, mine was made in China, serial starts with 2007XXX

Filter diameter is 52mm.

What else is there to say? Please ask, i'll try to make some nice bokeh pictures. The weather is rotten here in Amsterdam, so don't really feel like going out

How about for normal (non micro) shooting -- Thoughts? Better than 35 f/1.8 and/or 50 f/1.8G or other normal lens? For photographing people or other as a lens to keep on your camera as a walkaround lens?

I'm finding it hard to take it off. Good contrast, it comes down to 60mm 35mm format which is a little too long for a standard walk around lens for me.

I have both the 35mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.4. (Soon I'll buy the 85mm 1.8D as well. Waited too long for a AF-S version of that one)

I like the 35mm field of view. A lot. 40mm does not look like much more.. But it does feel like more. Photography is all about light right? Well it's about fun for me as well. And the 35mm is just more fun to me.

I'm off to the seaside tomorrow, and this will be the only lens I'll use. Let's see how it handles.

I look forward to seeing some of your seaside photos

As stated, we went to the seaside, but alas, to much rain for the beach.

So we stayed at our little cottage instead:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maas-martin/sets/72157627414763481/

hkb Regular Member • Posts: 179

how would you compare the AF speed to the 35 mm f1.8??

WAY slower. Luckily the little lmiter switch is there or it would be unbearably slow going from one side to the other...

But even limiting the focus it's still pretty darn slow. Oh well...

hkb Regular Member • Posts: 179

thanks for the quick answer

thats a point off this lens beeing an walkaround

I really like the photo of the boy with the bubbles.

As for focus speed, do you mean that it is slow for both macro and non-macro type photography, or just macro?

How do you like the lens for people photos -- Such as the boy (your son?) with the bubbles?

Thank you, I was merely walking around aimlessly trying to find subjects and playing with depth of field.

Yes, both boy's are my sons.

As for focusing:

Once you get up close to the subject for a true macro shot, focus is speedy enough that you don't "notice" it. As in: You will not be waiting for it to focus, because you will be thinking about composition longer than it will be focusing.

Outside it's Macro range; Meh. It works. It focusses. It does not hunt, i'll give it that. It does not go from front to back a few times. It "knows" whether top go backwards or forwards to achieve focus. How does it do that every time? Very cool.

After it first focuses from it's 16.3cm position to, let's say, something four meters away, it takes around 1.5 to 2 sec. After that it can stay on a target pretty well.

So "racking" the focus from one extreme to the other (Full range) is pretty slow. But is that not expected for a Macro lens?

"Racking" the focus inside it's limited range (Switch on the lens) from infinity to 20cm, it's still slow i'd say. Around 1sec.

Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,795

slow focus with this lens is not a make or break issue for me, generally one would not be using this lens for action photos where fast focus would be essential. The only real action shots this lens could be used for is bugs which can be infuriatingly fast but its not a suitable macro for those sorts of bugs anyway as its too short, so overall I see the slow focus as a non issue

MeneM wrote:

Thank you, I was merely walking around aimlessly trying to find subjects and playing with depth of field.

Yes, both boy's are my sons.

As for focusing:

Once you get up close to the subject for a true macro shot, focus is speedy enough that you don't "notice" it. As in: You will not be waiting for it to focus, because you will be thinking about composition longer than it will be focusing.

Outside it's Macro range; Meh. It works. It focusses. It does not hunt, i'll give it that. It does not go from front to back a few times. It "knows" whether top go backwards or forwards to achieve focus. How does it do that every time? Very cool.

After it first focuses from it's 16.3cm position to, let's say, something four meters away, it takes around 1.5 to 2 sec. After that it can stay on a target pretty well.

So "racking" the focus from one extreme to the other (Full range) is pretty slow. But is that not expected for a Macro lens?

"Racking" the focus inside it's limited range (Switch on the lens) from infinity to 20cm, it's still slow i'd say. Around 1sec.

-- hide signature --

Z5 V10 F11 F70 F200 S6500 S100 EX1 D40

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
xsimplyjosh Regular Member • Posts: 354

Looks sweet! But I guess the best bet for $$ in avoiding the lens when doing 1:1 shots is usually one w/ a longer focal length, like the 105 f/2.8 VR. that way I remain a considerable distance from anything like a butterfly or a flower or spider. ^^

Nevertheless, I like this shot quoted it displays the true qualities of a macro lens!

MeneM wrote:

http://flic.kr/p/agJhov

Totally silent, but I need to be REALLY close to anything for a 1:1 macro though. (Long spider legs will touch the lens.. That close....)

-- hide signature --

D7000 & 14-24/24-70/70-200 (VRII) f/2.8G.

Wellington100 wrote:

slow focus with this lens is not a make or break issue for me, generally one would not be using this lens for action photos where fast focus would be essential. The only real action shots this lens could be used for is bugs which can be infuriatingly fast but its not a suitable macro for those sorts of bugs anyway as its too short, so overall I see the slow focus as a non issue

Totally agree, I was merely answering the question. And yes Macro is absolutely perfect to do with slower focussing. It's usually manual anyway.

xsimplyjosh wrote:

Looks sweet! But I guess the best bet for $$ in avoiding the lens when doing 1:1 shots is usually one w/ a longer focal length, like the 105 f/2.8 VR. that way I remain a considerable distance from anything like a butterfly or a flower or spider. ^^

Yeah, I was thinking about Macro for a long time (And NOT for bugs, brrrr. more for food, wedding rings, candles, etc. mood / detail -pictures).

So a lower cost lens was aquired (This one) so I could feel the macro waters so to speak.

If I like it, longer focals will be bought.

Nevertheless, I like this shot quoted it displays the true qualities of a macro lens!

Thank you!

Focus speed for normal (non macro) -- Comparable to the kit (18-55 VR) ?

I would say it's faster than that. (Recently bought a refurbished D40 with that lens for the misses, so I could check for you!)

But it's only 1 focal. The other a zoom lens which does focus quicker at the 18mm part.

But, if you could have but one lens, would it be the 35mm f/1.8 or the 40mm f/2.8 for

1. fun
and
2. quality of image

_sem_ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,033

MeneM wrote:

The shot does seem to show some loCA still present at F/8 though (green/purple tint in the area just outside the plane of focus).
Good to know it does have the focus limiter, unlike the 60G.

Could you try measuring this really close working distance from the edge of the lens to the plane of focus? 2cm or so?

A detailed comparison with the Tokina 35 would be interesting, they seem to be very similar.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads