NX200 Some Information - 20MP CMOS sensor

Started Aug 27, 2011 | Discussions
redcrow Forum Member • Posts: 91
NX200 Some Information - 20MP CMOS sensor

Yes, I confirmed NX200 will have a 20MP APS-C sensor. Actually, it will have slightly more than 20MP.

If NEX-7 will be out in Nov. as it is planned, NX200 will be the very first digital camera actually people can get which has a APS-C sensor with more than 20MP on the market.

Also, NX200 has a quite good size of processing buffer. So, unlike Sony NEX-5N, NX200 is capable of lasting continuous shots for more than 10 seconds without any hiccup or delay.

I will try to get more information from my source. Stay tuned.

Kuturgan
Kuturgan Regular Member • Posts: 495
Re: NX200 Some Information - 20MP CMOS sensor

That's a very good news. What about the processor?
--
Don't take a picture, create!

Kuturgan's gear list:Kuturgan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
Luc de Schepper Senior Member • Posts: 1,191

Thanks for the info!

Any news about the form factor? Useful Grip? Hi-Res EVF built-in or accessory?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucdeschepper/

Luc de Schepper's gear list:Luc de Schepper's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon Z6 +14 more
tufir Regular Member • Posts: 277
stupid samsung

So we will probably loose all improvements in dynamic range and high Iso to a higher resolution for the 2 people here who think they have to crop a portrait out of a landscape shot and print it 1*2 meter.

Thank you samsung.............

starwolfy Senior Member • Posts: 1,318
Re: stupid samsung

I think you should go to Samsung's door and offer your service to manage all those stupid people.
--
Starwolfy

starwolfy's gear list:starwolfy's gear list
Leica M8 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH +7 more
Adventsam Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983

starwolfy wrote:

I think you should go to Samsung's door and offer your service to manage all those stupid people.
--
Starwolfy

Sony have fallen into same trap, the 16mp nex 5n is awesome and should be in the nex 7 form factor, the SOny is a hard act to beat though(5n) and the lens correction etc looks useful and the video is sparkling, really beautiful. The lens optiions are looking better and no doubt there is much much more to come. The 5n will be in very very high demand and upto $£1000 is priced affordable.

crsantin Contributing Member • Posts: 563

How about we wait until we actually see how the camera performs before we start critizing it? A 20mp sensor means nothing to me right now.

nekramp Regular Member • Posts: 121

It better have great continuous AF in that case..

nekramp's gear list:nekramp's gear list
Samsung NX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
BaldKhmer Junior Member • Posts: 39

LOL people just love to complain. Olympus sticks with 12 MP sensor, people complain. Samsung is rumored to be using a 20 MP sensor, people complain.

As for me, I want pixels. The higher the better. That's why I'm not using my 3, 5 and 8 MP cameras anymore. I want manufacturers to push the state of the art higher and higher. I want 100 MP at 64, 000 ISO. I want it all.

snowboarder Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Build? Manual focus?

Those are the only things I'm really interested in.

I trust Samsung new sensor will be good and I've always liked Samsung colors (K7).
I hope NX200 is similar in size to NEX 7, not as tiny as iPhone...
With a good grip and ergonomic shape.
Also Samsung really needs to come up with a better solution for manual focus...
If I can't use my glass on it, I'm not buying. As simple as that.
NEX is popular not because Sony has made tons of great new lenses (no, they
haven't), but because people can mount everything else on it.

Alexramos
Alexramos Senior Member • Posts: 1,592
Re: Build? Manual focus?

Always everybody said: more MPx worse DR and ISO... but if you see the Sony CMOS sensor evolution from 12MPx on a700 through 16MPx on a580, the theory look different.

From 12MPx to 16MPx, the DR is 1 and 1/3 better, the ISO improvement is more than double and the color depth better too.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/ (appareil1) 685%7C0 (brand) Sony (appareil2) 686%7C0 (brand2) Sony (appareil3) 562%7C0 (brand3) Sony

tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,232

nice info. I have a question for Samsung: if NX20 has more or less the same specs as NX200, why not presenting the NX20 on the same day?

I'd like to see both before deciding which one to get!

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
sensibill
sensibill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,401

Why do people keep whining about this? An APS-C doesn't lose DR like a micro sensor does. Larger pixels, lower density, higher unity gain, higher DR, less diffraction.

Going from a 5yo 14MP APS sensor to a brand new 20MP one will likely yield significant DR and SnR improvement across ISO range. The current one does OK above ISO-400 if you apply a little NR in Lightroom (fine even chroma noise) but still has room for improvement against the latest Sony/Nikon and Canon sensors.

Other than early NEX-7 samples showing default NR on JPEGs, that sensor looks to be fairly impressive once it's used with decent glass and doesn't have to hide behind the 1/3 light suppressing pellicle mirror of the SLT.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony a7 II
slantyyz Forum Member • Posts: 82

sensibill wrote:

Why do people keep whining about this? An APS-C doesn't lose DR like a micro sensor does. Larger pixels, lower density, higher unity gain, higher DR, less diffraction.

Going from a 5yo 14MP APS sensor to a brand new 20MP one will likely yield significant DR and SnR improvement across ISO range. The current one does OK above ISO-400 if you apply a little NR in Lightroom (fine even chroma noise) but still has room for improvement against the latest Sony/Nikon and Canon sensors.

That sounds so sensible that it's got to be crazy talk.

slantyyz's gear list:slantyyz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus Stylus SP-100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon 1 V1 +14 more
sensibill
Re: Build? Manual focus?

snowboarder wrote:

Also Samsung really needs to come up with a better solution for manual focus...
If I can't use my glass on it, I'm not buying. As simple as that.

My NX100 does great with legacy glass. I use the FA green bar meter - it's just like a distance gauge. It's not as fast as AF but it works:

Nikon 1 J1 Sony a7 II
sensibill

LOL - I chose 'sensibill' because DPR has several references to being 'sensible' on the site. 'Please pick a sensible name' was the one that amused me when I was creating this account, so voila.

Nikon 1 J1 Sony a7 II
Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

honestly, this is already beginning to sound ridiculous. the NX200 hasn't been out yet nor do we know the complete spec, capability and sensor of the camera. if people are so that whiny about this, why don't they just buy themselves a Oly, Pany and Sony now? atleast they know what they are going to get with those cameras. end of discussion.

Kornflejk Forum Member • Posts: 99

tecnoworld wrote:

nice info. I have a question for Samsung: if NX20 has more or less the same specs as NX200, why not presenting the NX20 on the same day?

I've got a such dilema too NX20 should be NX200 with EVF, built-in flash, bigger buffer and with higher performance. Will NX20 be a tool for serious still photography? That's a question. Give me 2 dials on NX200 and i'll buy it!

OP redcrow Forum Member • Posts: 91

tecnoworld wrote:

I am sorry, but I don't have any NX20 info. yet. Once I have any, I will post.

OP redcrow Forum Member • Posts: 91

Luc de Schepper wrote:

Thanks for the info!

Any news about the form factor? Useful Grip? Hi-Res EVF built-in or accessory?
--

Please refer following video clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a32_KRe5rxg

NX200 has almost same look with the black mock-up.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads