What the Hell Canon?

Started Aug 21, 2011 | Discussions
Kelly Beard Regular Member • Posts: 399
What the Hell Canon?

So I pick up a package of 11x17 Canson Edition Etching Rag. They suggest using "Fine Art Photo Rag". Yeah, that ain't happening. Apparently you can't select any Fine Art settings for 11x17. So now what? Each one of these media types has a ink 'recipe' (an amount of ink that it dumps out) that it uses, correct? So apparently I'm stuck with two boxes of this stuff?

When I'm ready to buy a new printer, if I find one that has none of these silly restrictions, I'm dumping you Canon.

What a bunch of crap.

-- hide signature --

Kelly Beard

Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,676
Re: What the Hell Canon?

Kelly Beard wrote:

So I pick up a package of 11x17 Canson Edition Etching Rag. They suggest using "Fine Art Photo Rag". Yeah, that ain't happening. Apparently you can't select any Fine Art settings for 11x17. So now what? Each one of these media types has a ink 'recipe' (an amount of ink that it dumps out) that it uses, correct? So apparently I'm stuck with two boxes of this stuff?

When I'm ready to buy a new printer, if I find one that has none of these silly restrictions, I'm dumping you Canon.

So what is your point?

They suggest using "Fine Art Photo Rag". Yeah, that ain't happening.

As a paper? As a setting in the driver?

Each one of these media types has a ink 'recipe' (an amount of ink that it dumps out) that it uses, correct?

No, the ICC profile would contain that. All selecting ‘Fine Art Photo Rag’ would do is set the platen gap and other gross parameters like glossy or matt. All the important color info would be in the ICC printer/paper profile.

Which particular Canon printer would you be using?

Brian A

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 8,769
Using a Canon PRO9000 or PRO9500?

You just select Fine Art Photo Rag, then for paper size choose Custom and type in 11 x 17....???

As Hugowolf suggested above...

You still need to use the downloadable custom ICC profile from the paper site to use with "Color Managed" Photo Shop, Lightroom, Qimage etc. to get the best print quality results from the Canon OEM ink.

Bob P.

Peter McNeill Senior Member • Posts: 1,554
Re: Using a Canon PRO9000 or PRO9500?

I thought it was only 11x14 that was the problem. I have no problem with 11x17 with my pro9000 MII and fine art photo rag.. i just select 11x17 from the drop down list, no need to use custom.
--

Yes, my error....

I didn't see the 11 x 17, I have my default at 4x6 which required me to scroll up the list to see the hidden 11 x 17.

Bob P.

OP Kelly Beard Regular Member • Posts: 399

Petruska wrote:

You just select Fine Art Photo Rag, then for paper size choose Custom and type in 11 x 17....???

Tried that, but let me back up a bit. In my frustration last night I left out at least two important details. I'm using a PIXMA Pro9500 II and using the Grayscale printing mode, so the ICC profile is kinda irrelevant I think. I'm guessing the problem is that Canon has built-in notions of what paper sizes the "Fine Art" settings must follow?

The Fine Art media types have to have that "art margin" nonsense in it and there is no 11x17 paper size with the art margin as part of it's specs. Anyway, I tried using Custom and got nowhere.

As Hugowolf suggested above...

You still need to use the downloadable custom ICC profile from the paper site to use with "Color Managed" Photo Shop, Lightroom, Qimage etc. to get the best print quality results from the Canon OEM ink.

Even though I loaded a Canson-provided profile for the paper for PS to use, I was using the Grayscale printing mode in the Canon printer properties cos I wanted to use the B&W ink carts.

Anyone using my printer model can load an 11x17 sheet into the front tray, set their paper size to 11x17 and then set the media type to "Fine Art Photo Rag" and just for grins, check the "Grayscale Printing" box.

Thanks for any more tips!

-- hide signature --

Kelly Beard

tman1991 Contributing Member • Posts: 765

Fine Art paper settings ALWAYS impose the silly/stupid/non-needed 35mm margin.

dont use it.. Total waste.. Just use matte photo paper if printing on ART paper, or semi-gloss, gloss if using that paper type.

You can do full borderless prints. Also make sure you are using non-canon art profiles.

Greyscale has nothing to do with margins.

tman1991's gear list:tman1991's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +4 more

tman1991 wrote:

Fine Art paper settings ALWAYS impose the silly/stupid/non-needed 35mm margin.

Agreed. What I don't get is why is there no 11x17 Art Margin paper size listed in the printer properties as a usable size. I'm going to update my drivers/utilities tonight I guess. BTW, the margins are needed on the heavier papers because you WILL get print head strikes and smudges, but some papers aren't this heavy and will lay flat.

dont use it.. Total waste.. Just use matte photo paper if printing on ART paper, or semi-gloss, gloss if using that paper type.

The only problem I have with this is that there are ink density differences in these media types. If I use a plain Matte media setting the print is lighter vs. one of the Fine Art settings on the same paper.

You can do full borderless prints. Also make sure you are using non-canon art profiles.

I don't do borderless since I like to frame all my stuff and like to have a larger border for mounting purposes, but yeah.

I do use non-Canon profiles, in fact I make my own. I have the Datacolor Spyder 3 Studio SR setup. Since I was doing grayscale only here, I don't think this is a profile issue. Could be wrong though.

Greyscale has nothing to do with margins.

No disagreement here. I only mentioned the Grayscale setting because it was a variable in what I was doing.

-- hide signature --

Kelly Beard

I've printed 13x19 full borderless on Canon Fine Art Rag, Canon Fine Art Museum Etching (super thick stuff), Moab Lasal Exhibition Luster, Moab Slickrock, Moab Entrada, to name a few.

I have not seen any marks on the side of the paper.

I put all my 13x19s in 18x24 frames with a 2 3/4" matte. So 1/4 is hidden. I would rather have 1/4 hidden then risk showing white space behind a matte.

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +4 more
dingenus Senior Member • Posts: 1,977

On my 9000mk2 I can select fine art photo rag and 11x17(3th from the top), not any problems.

dingenus's gear list:dingenus's gear list
Olympus E-M1

tman1991 wrote:

I've printed 13x19 full borderless on Canon Fine Art Rag, Canon Fine Art Museum Etching (super thick stuff), Moab Lasal Exhibition Luster, Moab Slickrock, Moab Entrada, to name a few.

I have not seen any marks on the side of the paper.

I have seen head strikes on Hahnemuhle Baryta before. Your paper has to be flat!

I put all my 13x19s in 18x24 frames with a 2 3/4" matte. So 1/4 is hidden. I would rather have 1/4 hidden then risk showing white space behind a mat.

A trend I've noticed and used some myself is to show 1/4" of white inside your mat. I guess this allows signatures to show, etc and mimics what some of the older guys like B. Weston did except they signed the mat since their stuff was dry mounted (yuck).

-- hide signature --

Kelly Beard

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,652
Re: What the Hell Canon?

If I could understand what you were on about I might disagree. Like , you know what I mean, init?
Jules

Kelly Beard wrote:

What a bunch of crap.

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter
Vibeke Dahl on Twitter is..
https://twitter.com/DahlPhotography

Are you scrolling to the top of the Page Size list?

I made the mistake of not seeing the 11x17 size as it was hidden until I scrolled to the top of the list. There is the 11x17, 3rd down the list on my PRO9000 driver which I assume is near identical for the 9500.

I checked the Grayscale Printing box, selected Fine Art Rag for the media and the 11x17 is there and avaiable to use.

Bob P.

Re: Are you scrolling to the top of the Page Size list?

Petruska wrote:

I made the mistake of not seeing the 11x17 size as it was hidden until I scrolled to the top of the list. There is the 11x17, 3rd down the list on my PRO9000 driver which I assume is near identical for the 9500.

Oh, I can find 11x17 just fine. I pick it and Fine Art Rag and press Ok and a dialog pops up saying I can't choose that size and it gives me a drop down box with all of the art margin sizes. I'm going to update drivers, etc later this week. We'll see what happens.

Thanks though. This is an open thread. I don't quit easily. The Canon driver WILL succumb.

-- hide signature --

Kelly Beard

the 9500 only allows Art Letter, Art A4, Art A3 and Art A3+

tman1991 wrote:

the 9500 only allows Art Letter, Art A4, Art A3 and Art A3+

So what printer have you been using in regards to your replies?

See, this is BOOOOOGGUUUUUUUSSSS.

-- hide signature --

Kelly Beard

Not sure I understand, but I have a 9500..

tman1991 wrote:

Not sure I understand, but I have a 9500..

What I was understanding from your post is that since the Fine Art media types need the Art papers, you can't select an Art media type and use 11x17 since there is no 11x17 Art size.

-- hide signature --

Kelly Beard

Well its whats canon pre programmed for the their "art" settings.

like i said personally I dont use art settings as they are silly.. Yeah you can talk about ink usage etc, but i would rather print full 13x19's and frame then in 18x24s which look awesome then have this stupid 35MM border and have to fig out what to do with the image.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads