EXCLUSIVE: NEX-5N with external EVF

Started Aug 20, 2011 | Discussions
eddieaus New Member • Posts: 18
EXCLUSIVE: NEX-5N with external EVF

NEX-5N and the new external EVF attachment. you see it here first

RussellInCincinnati Veteran Member • Posts: 3,201
funny how much it looks like the Nex throwaway flash

Heck, why didn't they throw a flash into the mix?

Eddieaus, any idea of suggested list price for the EVF?

Also, will it tilt the way my nice, cheaply magnified LCD does?

But most importantly, is it POCKETABLE? After all, the finest cameras in the world are all pocketable.

OP eddieaus New Member • Posts: 18
Re: funny how much it looks like the Nex throwaway flash

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

Heck, why didn't they throw a flash into the mix?

Eddieaus, any idea of suggested list price for the EVF?

Also, will it tilt the way my nice, cheaply magnified LCD does?

But most importantly, is it POCKETABLE? After all, the finest cameras in the world are all pocketable.

it can be tilted upward, that's about it.

SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,116

I wonder what options the 5N brings about turning off the LCD when the EVF is attached.... should save a bit of battery time.
--

Nex-5 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
arqueiro New Member • Posts: 11

is this compatible with the nex 3 and nex 5 ?

thanks
--
Nex-5

Rooru S Contributing Member • Posts: 939
Re: EXCLUSIVE: NEX-5N with external EVF

SQLGuy wrote:

I wonder what options the 5N brings about turning off the LCD when the EVF is attached.... should save a bit of battery time.
--

Nex-5 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

@SQLGuy...well, looking at the EVF there's a button that ssays FINDER/LCD, so that's the way you turn off the main LCD. So yes, you're going to save a bit of battery time.

@eddieaus...WOW...as usual, eddieaus giving us the first insight of everything...You got something to do with Sony right? even a picture in high res...hahaha Thank You so much.

eddieaus wrote:

NEX-5N and the new external EVF attachment. you see it here first

-- hide signature --

Proud Sony NEX 5 user

Rooru S's gear list:Rooru S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a7 II +15 more
darkref Contributing Member • Posts: 716

Looks thinner.

edwardaneal
edwardaneal Veteran Member • Posts: 9,101

Just a guess, but I would assume the port is the same, if it were not then the new camera would not be able to use the same flash as the 3 & 5, but even if the port is the same it still may not work - it would all depend on if Sony knew this was something they were going to do back when they designed the 3 & the 5. if they didnt plan it there may not be any connection to get the signal from the sensor to the port and even if it will attach that wont do much good if the signal isnt there

personally even if it would work I am not sure it would be something I want - it adds to much to the size - might as well grab my D200

JMO

-- hide signature --

My kit - D200, 10.5mm f/2.8D, 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.4G & 70-300VR
NEX-5 18-55 OSS

Lenses worth mentioning owned and sold 12-24 f/4, 17-55 f/2.8, 35-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8, 20mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4D, 60mm f/2.8D, 85mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2D-DC, 180mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4D-ED

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
odobo Contributing Member • Posts: 692

hrmm.... nex with EVF looks ugly..... kill all the sexy factor from the nice body....

odobo's gear list:odobo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 NEX5R Sony a6300 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
nopt Forum Member • Posts: 91

It's not thinner, the top plate is just tapered.

Thanks for sharing the picture eddieaus!

Lastpanda Forum Member • Posts: 84

Looks awesome!

Lastpanda's gear list:Lastpanda's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
darkref Contributing Member • Posts: 716

Possibly, but it LOOKS thinner

@odobo and edwardaneal

I knew this would happen... Months ago everyone was complaining about the lack of EVF on NEX-series cameras...And now that they offer an External EVF...it just kill the compactness of NEX cameras?? The size factor? The beauty of the camera??? C'mon...! It's functionality. I don't see other way to do an EVF... It's an EVF and works...what else do you want? At least it could be better than the Large Viewfinders solutions that we had to use in bright sunlight conditions.

-- hide signature --

Proud Sony NEX 5 user

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a7 II +15 more
Mark_McD Senior Member • Posts: 1,759

frankly, I don't think I'm all that interested in an EVF- I quite like composing on the screen.

I do however think as an accessory it's best so people can decide if they want to deal with the extra size and/or have it on situationally.

I don't see the "sexy" or "unsexy" being a determining factor with a camera. If you're looking for clean lines buy a car. If you're looking for something to take a picture of the car with...

-- hide signature --
 Mark_McD's gear list:Mark_McD's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
whitebird Regular Member • Posts: 380
It was discovered quite a while ago...

...what the NEX3/5 accessory port pins did (by some enterprising individuals who took apart their flash units). The port on the first gen NEX lacks pin functions supporting an EVF.

Once some detailed photos are available on the Web, I'm sure some extra pins on the "N" model will be revealed. Probably in a different spot to retain backward compatibility with first gen accessories.

whitebird's gear list:whitebird's gear list
Sony a6000
Re: It was discovered quite a while ago...

You're correct Sir...

whitebird wrote:

...what the NEX3/5 accessory port pins did (by some enterprising individuals who took apart their flash units). The port on the first gen NEX lacks pin functions supporting an EVF.

Once some detailed photos are available on the Web, I'm sure some extra pins on the "N" model will be revealed. Probably in a different spot to retain backward compatibility with first gen accessories.

-- hide signature --

Proud Sony NEX 5 user

odobo Contributing Member • Posts: 692

I never understand why people want to use a EVF in the first place... so I am not the group that complained the lack of EVF

the reason why there was a viewfinder on camera back then was because that was the only way the photographer can see what they are capturing through the lens.

now that we have the technology to see what the sensor is actually capturing on a 3" screen, and people still want a EVF that is much smaller, sometimes less resolution and show EXACTLY what you will see on the much bigger screen. To me... thats just people dont want to move on from what they have been used to.

If people complain there is no OVF on nex... thats fine, they just picked the wrong camera.

If people complain the sun is too bright for the LCD, then complain the right thing and ask for a brighter, more sun friendly LCD (that reminds me of the trolls complaining nex isnt sharp when they are actually complaining the kit lens....)

if people insist on taking a picture through EVF is better than the screen... sure... there is the answer from sony... a ugly external addon to a sexy camera....

Rooru S wrote:

@odobo and edwardaneal

I knew this would happen... Months ago everyone was complaining about the lack of EVF on NEX-series cameras...And now that they offer an External EVF...it just kill the compactness of NEX cameras?? The size factor? The beauty of the camera??? C'mon...! It's functionality. I don't see other way to do an EVF... It's an EVF and works...what else do you want? At least it could be better than the Large Viewfinders solutions that we had to use in bright sunlight conditions.

odobo's gear list:odobo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 NEX5R Sony a6300 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
edwardaneal
edwardaneal Veteran Member • Posts: 9,101
you talking to me?

I didnt even have my NEX-5 "months ago" and I have never complained about the lack of a viewfinder. I bought the NEX-5 in late June to use as a "go everywhere" camera for when I dont want to carry my D200. For me anything that adds size to the NEX is not something I want - If I need a viewfinder I will just use the D200

If others want I finder thats great I really hope that this one will work on all of the NEX cameras so that they can be happy, but please dont come back at me like this acting like I was part of your group of "everyone" who asked for a viewfinder

thank you

Rooru S wrote:

@odobo and edwardaneal

-- hide signature --

My kit - D200, 10.5mm f/2.8D, 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.4G & 70-300VR
NEX-5 18-55 OSS

Lenses worth mentioning owned and sold 12-24 f/4, 17-55 f/2.8, 35-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8, 20mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4D, 60mm f/2.8D, 85mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2D-DC, 180mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4D-ED

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226

Looks great, but, as I expected, it adds more bulk than the nexviewer folded up. Between this EVF, the nexviewer, and the NEX-7, we suddenly have an abundance of viewfinders, which is fantastic.

Re: you talking to me?

@odobo and edwardaneal

Sorry guys, I thought you were in the group of people that always love to complain about things and when Sony comes with a solution, always begin to complain about the solution not being what they expected. (Even if it's functional).

-- hide signature --

Proud Sony NEX 5 user

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads