Pentax DA 14mm versus Samyang 14mm

Started Aug 18, 2011 | Discussions
Tom__Brown Senior Member • Posts: 1,345
Pentax DA 14mm versus Samyang 14mm

Has anyone compared the two?

Both seem to have mustache distortion but Photozone rates the Samyang higher (Pentax = 3 stars, Samyang = 4 stars).

I'm shooting a Pentax DA 14mm now and have considered picking up the Samyang. Has anyone else made the jump?

-- hide signature --

-- Tom

Tom__Brown's gear list:Tom__Brown's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 14mm F2.8 ED (IF) +6 more
Thomas H Regular Member • Posts: 126
Re: Pentax DA 14mm versus Samyang 14mm

I would keep the DA 14.It is a very good lens with fantastic microcontrast.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,759

I have come across 3 DA14 and it is easily the worst lens I have ever used optically due to severe field curvature which the Samyang doesn't suffer according to Photozone. Unable to use polarizer is probably the major con though.

And if my interpretation is correct, the published graph by Pentax shows the same characteristic:

-- hide signature --
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,156

Tom_ Brown wrote:

Has anyone compared the two?

Both seem to have mustache distortion but Photozone rates the Samyang higher (Pentax = 3 stars, Samyang = 4 stars).

I'm shooting a Pentax DA 14mm now and have considered picking up the Samyang. Has anyone else made the jump?

The Samyang is intended for full frame cameras, but still performs well on APS-C. If you don't have any issues with the Pentax I would just keep it.

When you start getting really wide angle lenses for full frame, they are very large for the focal length on APS-C. The Samyang has a huge front element, and as previously mentioned it can't use filters.

I imagine the Samyang will give a sharper edge to edge picture, at the expense of extreme (mostly barrel on APS-C) distortion. The Pentax you have to step down the aperture more to improve the corners, but the lens is a lot easier to handle and has autofocus. It has a very close minimum focus distance as well, which is important for a wide angle. The Pentax is 0.17m vs 0.28m for the Samyang. That is a very noticeable difference.

Honestly, I would keep the Pentax.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Broda Contributing Member • Posts: 638

i owe Samyang and of course love the lens its razor sharp across the frame even wide open its stunning sharp something pentax wont be able to match and i got it cause i hope one day will see a FF from pentax and it such case this baby perform incredibly on FF as well. the mustache distrortion is there i shoot landscapes mostly so doesnt bother me whatsoever and yes one thing i wish was better would be close up performance i think its good but having 17cm to work versus 28mm is just like night and day you can do so much more with especially considering samyang has one of a better looking bokeh considering wide angle lenses only.

I think unless you need great sharpness straight from 2.8 i think pentax is sharp enough for most applications at f/8-11 range so i would keep it probably as well. for me it came down to pentax and samyang and considering price difference and overall superior IQ of samyang i decided to go with it in the end and i dont regret it at all but i would like to have thaat close up ability at times. if your lens perform well why the change it wont make you a better photographer. good luck with your decision
--
Grzegorz

The camera is for life and for people, the swift and intense moments of life. - Ansel Adams
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7167702@N03/

Jarda_Houdek Contributing Member • Posts: 812

What camera do you have? My DA14 was OK on K10D but improved a lot when I got the K-5. Sharp enough for anything straight from f2,8. Corner to corner - perfect.
--

Through a Pentax Limited prime things may appear sharper than they actually are...
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/jaroslavhoudek

Jarda_Houdek's gear list:Jarda_Houdek's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads