NEX-7 feels larger than the Leica M9?

Started Aug 16, 2011 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Buchan-Grant
Buchan-Grant Senior Member • Posts: 1,976
Re: How can a camera that thin

The M9 only seems 'fat' if you're used to holding something 'tiny'

-- hide signature --
 Buchan-Grant's gear list:Buchan-Grant's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +19 more
Buchan-Grant
Buchan-Grant Senior Member • Posts: 1,976
Re: NEX-7 feels larger than the Leica M9?

yeah its definitely a little bigger which is no bad thing in my book, seems like a hell of a cam!
--
Neil
http://about.me/buchangrant

 Buchan-Grant's gear list:Buchan-Grant's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +19 more
anaksatawo Contributing Member • Posts: 657
Re: NEX-7 feels larger than the Leica M9?

i believe the dimension is similar to that of the nex-5 + the height difference between the two.

relate22 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,585
I just noticed- no tiltable LCD. :( n/t
nopt Forum Member • Posts: 90
Where do you notice that?

I don't see anything that suggests it won't have a tilting screen.

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226
Re: I just noticed- no tiltable LCD. :( n/t

The bottom of the LCD in this shot looks like it could tilt.

relate22 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,585
Re: I just noticed- no tiltable LCD. :( n/t

headofdestiny wrote:

The bottom of the LCD in this shot looks like it could tilt.

I really hope you are right because after my last couple of cameras having a tiltable screens it is one or my must haves.

Only the other day I was taking a photo of a Kookaburra and as soon as I lifted the camera to my eye it saw me and flew away. Then 10 minutes later I took a photo of a Pee wee virtually under my feet looking down at the camera at my waist with the screen tilted and no problems.

Similar to lifting your camera to take people photos as soon as you do it people freeze with those fake smiles.

anaksatawo Contributing Member • Posts: 657
its tiltable

maybe because of the evf eyepiece that you are having second thoughts on the tiltability of the screen?

kuri Regular Member • Posts: 209
Re: True, if we can trust "leaked" photos

Adding even further to this, the NEX line, at least in Japan, is marketed heavily towards women. More so than "NEX in your pocket" that people may think abroad, over here in Japan, Sony markets it as a camera that can easily fit in a handbag or purse.

Take a look at the Sony JP site, it's all girly hehe

http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/index-e.html
http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/foryou/fashion/
http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/extension/NEX-C3bloggers/index.html

Rooru S wrote:

Do you realize the NEX-7 is not intended to fit a pocket? I'm sure, the advertising of the NEX-7 will be something like "Professional performance on a small package". Not as NEX-3/5/C3 with the "Professional Quality in your pocket" motto.

rishi o' Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Re: True, if we can trust "leaked" photos

Wow. It makes me think the Alpha line was supposed to be for the men and the NEX line was for the women. Now I have to get a man's purse for the NEX.

kuri wrote:

Adding even further to this, the NEX line, at least in Japan, is marketed heavily towards women. More so than "NEX in your pocket" that people may think abroad, over here in Japan, Sony markets it as a camera that can easily fit in a handbag or purse.

Take a look at the Sony JP site, it's all girly hehe

http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/index-e.html
http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/foryou/fashion/
http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/extension/NEX-C3bloggers/index.html

Rooru S wrote:

Do you realize the NEX-7 is not intended to fit a pocket? I'm sure, the advertising of the NEX-7 will be something like "Professional performance on a small package". Not as NEX-3/5/C3 with the "Professional Quality in your pocket" motto.

-- hide signature --
seachicken2000
seachicken2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,182
Re: True, if we can trust "leaked" photos

rishi o' wrote:

Wow. It makes me think the Alpha line was supposed to be for the men and the NEX line was for the women. Now I have to get a man's purse for the NEX.

There's evidence that the NEX 3 was designed for ladies with long nails to be able to grip. The NEX 5 being the "man's NEX", and only available in "mens colors", like black and silver (and NOT pink).

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=35575197&changemode=1

This kind of fits into Japanese culture if you look at the color schemes of their yukata. Men's tend to be drab and boring colors, women's yukata can be any color you wish with bells on.

So I don't expect there will be a pink NEX 7, sadly.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

 seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +21 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,440
Re: How can a camera that thin

The M9 only seems 'fat' if you're used to holding something 'tiny'

Like an RD1 or a film rangefinder

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

 AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
nopt Forum Member • Posts: 90
Re: From the prototype image here.

If you notice, there is a "seam" across the borders of the screen in that image. What purpose would that serve if the screen was fixed? And out of all the new models, NEX-C3, NEX-5N, A77, A65, why would Sony make the NEX-7 the only one without an articulated screen? So I don't think you have to worry.

rishi o' Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Re: True, if we can trust "leaked" photos

That's okay. I can live without pink

seachicken2000 wrote:

rishi o' wrote:

Wow. It makes me think the Alpha line was supposed to be for the men and the NEX line was for the women. Now I have to get a man's purse for the NEX.

There's evidence that the NEX 3 was designed for ladies with long nails to be able to grip. The NEX 5 being the "man's NEX", and only available in "mens colors", like black and silver (and NOT pink).

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=35575197&changemode=1

This kind of fits into Japanese culture if you look at the color schemes of their yukata. Men's tend to be drab and boring colors, women's yukata can be any color you wish with bells on.

So I don't expect there will be a pink NEX 7, sadly.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

-- hide signature --
relate22 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,585
Re: From the prototype image here.

I hope you are right, I guess we will all know on the 23rd isn't it.
--
http://www.pbase.com/reelate2
http://www.pbase.com/relate2
[b]My youtube channel====> [ b] http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
What flying means to me.
http://vimeo.com/2598837
Flying highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lRu3P15BaY
My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2#p/u

jazzroy1972 Regular Member • Posts: 172
Re: From the prototype image here.

I took specs from Leica and added M9 to the size comparison,

definetly Nex-7 is not as big as M9!

anaksatawo Contributing Member • Posts: 657
Re: From the prototype image here.

remember, the person who handled the nex-7 said "it feels like an m9". so maybe, after handling the nex-5 for a long time, the nex-7 size seems to have jumped dramatically.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads