NEX-7 feels larger than the Leica M9?

Started Aug 16, 2011 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Spade357 Senior Member • Posts: 1,052
NEX-7 feels larger than the Leica M9?
John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035
Re: NEX-7 feels larger than the Leica M9?

Spade357 wrote:

It's just a rumor by the way.

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2011/08/other-rumour-first-sony-nex-7-and-carl.html

Even if I trusted rumours (I don't) I wouldn't trust a single word emanating from "ricehigh". A few years ago he got banned from dpreview for continuous brand-bashing with his worthless self-styled "scientific" tests of Pentax cameras and his over-zealous defence of his "facts" when faced with contradictory facts or opinions.

The internet is full of people who confuse their personal opinion with actual fact, but he is by far the most extreme example I have ever encountered.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [GMT+1 aka BST]

Just Having Fun Veteran Member • Posts: 3,869
True, if we can trust "leaked" photos

The NEX lens' diameters are larger than the height of the NEX 3 and 5, but in the photos the height of the NEX 7 is much greater. The NEX 7 looks to be a lot bigger than a 3 or 5.

Does this matter? Not really. These cameras don't fit in a pocket and use the same APS size lenses. The overall size difference will not be that great because of the lens size.

shlam Regular Member • Posts: 248
Re: True, if we can trust "leaked" photos

With the added EVF, the NEX-7 looks to be both taller and wider than the NEX-3/5. But it doesn't look all that big, maybe about the same size as the Panasonic GF1 or the Olympus EPL1.

BTW, only in the NEX-5 is the lens mount diameter larger than the perceived height of the camera, not so for NEX-3.

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,466
Maybe because of the lens?

Spade357 wrote:

It's just a rumor by the way.

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2011/08/other-rumour-first-sony-nex-7-and-carl.html

The Leica has pretty small lenses in comparision vs the new Zeiss prime,

odobo Contributing Member • Posts: 692
Re: Maybe because of the lens?

If you trust all the leak image... Including the lens side by side comparison and the nex7 with zeiss 24mm.... That didn't look bigger than the m9 to me

odobo's gear list:odobo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 NEX5R Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
fermy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,168

Just Having Fun wrote:

The NEX lens' diameters are larger than the height of the NEX 3 and 5, but in the photos the height of the NEX 7 is much greater. The NEX 7 looks to be a lot bigger than a 3 or 5.

Does this matter? Not really. These cameras don't fit in a pocket and use the same APS size lenses. The overall size difference will not be that great because of the lens size.

Well, it does. Nex 5 and 3 do fit well in the pocket with many lenses, including 16mm pancake, various SLR lenses up to 50mm, all Contax G lenses, most RF lenses, etc.

John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035

fermy wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Well, it does. Nex 5 and 3 do fit well in the pocket with many lenses, including 16mm pancake, various SLR lenses up to 50mm, all Contax G lenses, most RF lenses, etc.

Yep. To fit in a pocket at least one dimension must be small and in the NEX-5 that's the height. Even with a fairly long lens the camera still fits easily in a coat pocket with the lens lying along the bottom. But if the height of the camera grows it starts to need to occupy a cube - no single dimension is small enough to fit in a narrow space like a pocket.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [GMT+1 aka BST]

shlam Regular Member • Posts: 248

Yes, John, you are so right. Even the NEX-3 with 18-55 kit lens fits in my pocket. But I don't think the NEX-7 will. Looks like to only way the NEX-7 can fit in a pocket is with a pancake lens.

Rooru S Contributing Member • Posts: 911

Do you realize the NEX-7 is not intended to fit a pocket? I'm sure, the advertising of the NEX-7 will be something like "Professional performance on a small package". Not as NEX-3/5/C3 with the "Professional Quality in your pocket" motto.

shlam wrote:

Yes, John, you are so right. Even the NEX-3 with 18-55 kit lens fits in my pocket. But I don't think the NEX-7 will. Looks like to only way the NEX-7 can fit in a pocket is with a pancake lens.

Rooru S's gear list:Rooru S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +7 more
rishi o' Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
I hope it doesn't fit in my pocket

Rooru S wrote:

Do you realize the NEX-7 is not intended to fit a pocket? I'm sure, the advertising of the NEX-7 will be something like "Professional performance on a small package". Not as NEX-3/5/C3 with the "Professional Quality in your pocket" motto.

Right on! I don't understand the obsession with all NEX cameras fitting in the pocket. Nobody tries to fit a canon 7d in the pocket. NEX is not just about small cameras, it's reinventing the DSLR and being small is almost a side effect of that. I wouldn't be surprised if the NEX 7 is the top quality aps-c camera in the market when it comes out! Hope to sell my Canon 7d and my 35 f/2 and 85 f/1.8 and replace it with a smaller, lighter and higher quality camera - The Sony NEX 7 with the 24 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.8.

It better be smaller than my 7d but it's okay if it doesnt' fit in my pocket...

-- hide signature --
Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478
World goes down ...

The NEX-7 feels larger than the Leica M9

Oh god, oh god, oh god.
What if Nex-7 is larger than M10, M11, M13, M15 ?

dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 5,730
Bigger might be better.

Just Having Fun wrote:

If the leaked photos are real, I think the 7 might be a much better match for the 18-200 zoom. Can't wait to give it a try.
--
-------------------------------------------------
'Hit Refresh if pix do not appear. Flaky ISP at work.'

gfrensen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627

Besdides it being a rumor it is some silly statement. It stated that the camera FEELS larger then the M9. that does not mean it IS bigger then an M9! It is like telling people my Nex5 feels bigger then my A700, does that makes it bigger then an A700?

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,440
How can a camera that thin

............ Feel larger than a fat porky M9 , that's one deep rangefinder body.

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
JPG Senior Member • Posts: 1,203

'It's just a rumor by the way'. I think that about tells it all.

Incidentlly, I have my Leica R Simmilux f/1.4 attached to my NEX-5. Now that's what you call 'big and heavy', so what's the problem with that?

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226

Spade357 OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,052
Re: World goes down ...

Knallberto wrote:

The NEX-7 feels larger than the Leica M9

Oh god, oh god, oh god.
What if Nex-7 is larger than M10, M11, M13, M15 ?

It's actually a good thing really and this way, people won't talk about how "massive" the NEX lens are. As long as not larger than the Fuji X100. It's all good to me.

Raffwal
Raffwal Regular Member • Posts: 350

Judging by the NEX-7 picture and comparing it to the NEX-5, I find it difficult to believe the 7 could be even close to an M9.

Joesiv Veteran Member • Posts: 5,497

By looking at the rear part of the new lens, a new idea about the future (and development) of the NEX/E system can be got! What secret then? Full Frame ILDC system?

If they go FF with NEX, count me in! what are the other posibilities, 16x9? Maybe extra pins... ?
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Nikon D700, Panasonic L1, Olympus e-510
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads