Comments on Epson R2000 vs. Epson R2880 Printers

Started Aug 11, 2011 | Discussions
Nancy and Pete Spader Senior Member • Posts: 2,050
Comments on Epson R2000 vs. Epson R2880 Printers

Having suggested that looking at prints from a good printer is the best way to judge any camera, our trust old Epson 2200 died last week. After checking the various possibilities out we decided to get the new Epson R2000. I did, and it seems to be an excellent printer, but we found we did not like the "more brilliant and punchy color" as reported in the Red River Paper comparison of the R2000 and R3000. We actually found the colors to be not just brilliant and punchy, we seemed to be losing some of the subtle shades we cherish from our Sigma camera and printed out well by the old 2200. Although many people apparently like the R2000 type of colors, we do not. We prefer the"more subtle 'real world' hues and tones" the review reported you get with the R3000.
]
Incidentally, the review is at:

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/...r2000-vs-epson-r3000-which-to-purchase.html

Luckily Staples allowed us to "upgrade" to the R2880, and the color is much more to our liking (very much like the 2200 only better quality). Incidentally, we seriously considered the R3000, given the pathetically small carts in the R2880, but we do not do enough printing at this point to warrant the extra cost.

So far the R2880 is behaving itself. Lets hope it continues to do so, as some people have reported having real lemons.

If you are used to “punchy” colors the R2000 may well still be a good choice, but I would suggest you make sure you can return the printer if you do not or you are not sure.

Pete and Nancy

JLK Veteran Member • Posts: 4,522
Re: Comments on Epson R2000 vs. Epson R2880 Printers

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the update. I've been debating upgrading my old HP designjet to the Epson 4900 with the current rebate that's being offered.

-- hide signature --

Jim

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 741
Completely useless comments, I'm afraid,

since you do not describe your particular workflow and the settings you use - printer settings, picture settings, colour space used, whether you let the printer driver manage colours or the application (like Photoshop), wether you use percecptive or relative rendering intent, whether you use ICM profiles or not, whether you have selected the correct ICC profile for the paper, whether your monitor is calibrated (and more importantly perhaps, whether you have a large gamut, quality monitor) and so on and so on.

I have an R3000 sine Easter this year and before that I had an R1400 - both are capable of excellent results, if you know what you do.

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 741
PS: and the link you have provided

is broken.

OP Nancy and Pete Spader Senior Member • Posts: 2,050
Workflow and link

Good point. I used Qimage Ultimate to Print. I used Epson Ultra Premium Matte paper with their ICC Profile loaded into the Qimage program. I processed the pictures in SPP 4.2.0 for pictures from our SD14 and SPP5.01 for RAWs from the SD1). The colorspace was sRGB.

I used these settings and workflow for both the R2000 and the R2880.

The link, which I just checked and it is working here, is:

http://blog.redriverpaper.com/2011/07/epson-r2000-vs-r3000-article-from-red-river-paper.html

Pete

P.S. to Workflow and link

I forgot to mention that my monitor is a 24" Samsung B2430H calibrated using the Spyder3 system.

Incidentally, the differences between what the Epson R2000 and the R2880 Printers produce using basically the same picture processed the same way is so dramatic much of these details, though technically useful, are not that needed. I was quite surprised by how dramatic the difference was, and had I known ahead of time I would not have even tried the R2000.

Indeed, it is the fact that many of us find the way the Sigma/Foveon camera can capture subtle shifts in colors one of the reasons we like them that I decided to report on my experienve with these two printers. I expect many people would find the colors produced by the R2000 top their taste, and the printer has any number of good points (not the least of which is the fact that it automatically selected Matte Black or Photo Black, and has somewhat larger carts (17ml.).That is why I tried it first.

Pete

carauction Veteran Member • Posts: 6,662
Re: Exhibition Fiber Paper

When you eventually switch to your Photo Black, if you haven't already, try the Exhibition Fiber Paper. The rear feed could be problematic, but this is a beautiful paper.

BTW, Unique Photo in NJ seems to have the best paper prices around.

Good luck with the printer,

Mike

Re: Exhibition Fiber Paper

Thanks for the suggestion Mike. We will try it. I must admit we have been using matte paper for some time now for a variety of reason, and now that we again have a printer that requires we lose a significant amount of ink every time we shift (this is one of the downsides of the R2880 that is shares with the old 2200) we will probably stick with matte paper for most of our printing. But it is fun to explore what a new printer can do, and we have enjoyed exploring various papers in the past. Indeed, I just ordered some Red River paper to try out

Incidentally, one of the things that attracted me to the R2880 is its excellent B&W ability. It is very good indeed. We do not do that much B&W anymore but some images just call for it.

Thank again for the suggestion!

Pete and Nancty

Mostly Lurking Senior Member • Posts: 2,103
I fail to understand why you use sRGB for prints.

It has the smallest gamut of all the color modes. As I'm sure you know, sRGB is the appropriate color mode for the 'Net, but I think most will agree that it's absolutely the worst color mode for printing.
--
William Wilgus

Re: I fail to understand why you use sRGB for prints.

Good point. Yes, it has less gamut then others (though Adobe is not much better) and I have yet to master the fuller gamut Colorspaces well enough to be comfortable using them across the various programs I use (I use Picture Windows Pro 5, as well as SPP and Qimage).

For my purposes I did not thing was a major issue. The differences I saw using the two printers was so dramatic the added gamut would probably not have made a difference. If I am wrong that should be added into your judgment on whether or not to try the R2000 printer.

Pete

Mostly Lurking Senior Member • Posts: 2,103
If you're happy, that's all that matters! [nt]
-- hide signature --

William Wilgus

I will be happy

if people take seriously the fact that there are differences in the "color-balance" of these two Printers. Had I taken the Red River Paper's review more seriously I would have saved myself some potentially serious problems. I was just lucky that Staples let me change to the R2880.

Pete

amazo Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Workflow and link

Nancy and Pete Spader wrote:

Good point. I used Qimage Ultimate to Print. I used Epson Ultra Premium Matte paper with their ICC Profile loaded into the Qimage program. I processed the pictures in SPP 4.2.0 for pictures from our SD14 and SPP5.01 for RAWs from the SD1). The colorspace was sRGB.

I used these settings and workflow for both the R2000 and the R2880.

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly but it sounds like you used the ICC profile for the R2000 for the Epson Ultra Premium Matte paper. I think you mean that you used the setting in the Epson print driver. But perhaps Qimage Ultimate has it's own... Because I have not been able to find a downloadable set of Epson paper profiles for the R2000 (in fact I found this post searching again for them). The R2000 works very well for me but it would be nice to have the profiles to soft proof. This might help with color correction, etc. I do use Red River paper & their profiles for soft proofing. Works well.

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 13,044
Re: Comments on Epson R2000 vs. Epson R2880 Printers

I have the R2000. I decided to keep my costs down, and the quality and colors are just fine for me.

When I bought, B&H was having a special and I got it for $499 with $100 rebate. Immediately spent $160 for a spare set of ink cartridges.

Still, I like it just fine. Sometimes maybe it's better to remain ignorant of the capabilities of more expensive printers....
--
Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 +14 more
amazo

Unfortunately you are correct. I have icc profiles for the 2200 and the 2880, but none for 2000. Sorry I got your hopes up.

I am pleased with the print quality I get with the 2880, though my first unit committed suicide after several months. Fortunately it was still under Warranty and the replacement unit seems to be doing well.

Pete

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads