Fuji X10 Compact coming this fall

Started Aug 7, 2011 | Discussions
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,764
Re: More details from Fujifilm Thailand Staff

Gosh, I wonder if Fuji are going to have a blockbuster on their hands with this camera. Pricing will be critical because unlike the X100 this camera will be competing with high end compacts and entry level mirrorless cameras

They seem to have mastered the art of the leak as well, releasing teaser info prior to announcement to create buzz. I wonder if it will ship for Christmas or like the X100 will only hit the shops next Easter?

SHood wrote:

Any Thai reader with a better translation. This is the first time OIS is mentioned and the controls will be similar to the X100.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=th&u=http://forum.fujifilm.co.th/showthread.php%3Fp%3D167662&ei=-FRaTteDBarv0gHqxpSUCQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDUQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfujifilm%2Bx10%2B2.8%2Bsite:*.th%26hl%3Den%26tbo%3D1%26biw%3D1680%26bih%3D937%26tbs%3Dqdr:w%26prmd%3Divnsfd

• CMOS Sensor EXR format 2 / 3 "12.0 megapixel resolution.

• EXR PRocessor similar to that used in the X100.

• FUJINON Manual Zoom 4X 28 - 112 mm (equivalent) F2.0 - 2.8 lens barrel is metal. And all glass lenses. This is a special lens to get the highest quality and OIS, the vibration of up to 4 Stop.

• OVF viewfinder all the glass pieces so that the viewfinder is bright and clear viewfinder with large, clear images.

• The X100's camera zooming down. Control is the same. But the key is the Mode Dial to select the shutter speed shooting and, instead, to get rich.

• Dial the rear camera, 2 sets of keys.

-- hide signature --

Z5 V10 F11 F70 F200 S6500 S100 EX1 D40

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
OP SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,234
X10 announcement on Sept. 1st

Looks like it will be announced this week. For those not familiar Brandon Remler has ties with Fujifilm.

http://brandonremler.blogspot.com/

"September 1 is the big announcement of the next X. It's a beauty!"

"When the X100 has a little brother (Sept 1) and it yearns for a big brother, the decisions will be even tougher!"

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Joel Stern
Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,926
Looks interesting to me

So surprised to see so many on this forum pooh pooh this camera, a 2/3" sensor is great for a small sensor camera, a zoom with EVF or OVF is great, RAW is another plus. $600 for early adopters is the price one pays, not too high if it delivers, but just wait a bit and it will be $500. This is not your father's Fuji F30.

Spade357 Senior Member • Posts: 1,052
More specs listed.......

Wow, looks like it'll be the king of premium compacts. This camera is loaded.

http://photorumors.com/2011/08/29/the-fujifilm-x10-name-is-confirmed-more-specs-available-online/#more-12337

theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228
Re: More specs listed.......

Certainly looks that way. If I'm not overly enthused about the F600, I'll wait until the X10 hits $499.

prime Senior Member • Posts: 2,224
Re: Confusion of design decisions with accuracy

John Carson wrote:

prime wrote:

There is nothing "bad" about 77% framing. It is simply a design decision. Nothing more, nothing less. Is a Porsche 911 "bad" because it is less than 77% of the size of a Cadillac Escalade? Is the Mona Lisa "bad" because it is less than 77% the size of a highway billboard? You may think that a viewfinder with 77% of the field of view of the image that the sensor will capture and record is not for you ; personally (surprise) I may agree with you in my personal evaluation of cameras. But a 77% viewfinder is neither inaccurate nor (except from a point of personal preference) "bad."

I find this silly. If you are taking a photograph — i.e., recording a digital image — then the most natural thing in the world for the photographer to want is that the viewfinder show exactly what is going to be recorded. 100% coverage is to be preferred to 77% coverage for the same reason that 77% coverage is to be preferred to 40% coverage.

Have you ever shot pictures with an SLR, either a film SLR or a digital one? The viewfinder subsystem of any "rangefinder" style camera (which may or may not incorporate an actual rangefinder optical focusing aid) is remarkably similar to the light path that delivers an image to your eye when you look into the eyepiece of an SLR. Now, consider the field of view that you see through the eyepiece when you have a 50 mm (or equivalent) "normal" lens mounted on the SLR camera. You can increase the field of view that you see in the SLR eyepiece by removing the 50 mm lens and mounting a 35 mm lens instead. Remove the 35 mm lens and substitute a 100 mm lens and you get only 50% of the field of view that you saw with the 50 mm lens. The entire optical path to your eye between the lens mount and the eyepiece has remained the same; only the lens in front of the lens mount has changed.

Exactly the same considerations apply to the optical viewfinder in a non-SLR camera. The maker of the camera decides on the lens group to place in the path from the entry pupil on the front of the camera to the exit pupil on the back of the camera, and that determines the field of view of the viewfinder. Depending on the target market, the camera maker decides whether the field of view will be less than 100% of the image captured in the file (as in the Canon G11) or more than 100% of the image captured in the file (as in the Fujifilm X100, where an overlaid electronic frame on the oversized image shows where the captured image ends). The field of view is simply determined by the lens group in the OVF lightpath; and the difference in cost between one lens group and another lens group with a different angle of view is a negligible portion of the production cost of a camera. (Of course, if the optical viewfinder will track the extension of a zoom taking lens, then the OVF subsystem will need to incorporate its own zoom lens.)

You may disagree with the camera makers' marketing decision when, for instance, the Canon G11 shows a viewfinder image that has a narrower field of view than what will show in the full digital image file. Maybe you know the market better than Canon does. Equally, you may disagree with Fujifilm's decision for the X100 camera to show in the viewfinder more of the scene in front of the camera than the narrower angle that the sensor will capture and put into the digital image file. Maybe you know the market better than Fujifilm does. After all, some cameras are complete sales flops, proving that camera designers are not infallible. But there are design professionals at Canon and at Fujifilm whose jobs depend on getting it right so that their employers sell a ton of cameras, and I am sure that they approach their task with seriousness of purpose.

[Now, before you object that, whether an SLR has a 35 mm lens or a 50 mm lens or a 100 mm lens fitted, the view through the SLR's eyepiece will remains the same percentage of the image that will show on film or be captured by a sensor -- yes , I am aware of that. That objection to the theoretical exercise I asked you to undertake would completely miss the point and show that you are more interested in argument for its own sake than in serious discussion. The limited point that I am making above is that the field of view in the eyepiece is very simply altered by changing the lens in the optical path that precedes the eyepiece, whether lens be the single taking/viewing lens in an SLR or the lens in the internal viewfinder subsystem of a non-SLR. Determining the angle of coverage -- field of view -- in a viewfinder is not rocket science; it does not require expensive engineering; all it takes is a judicious selection of the lens elements in the viewfinder's optical path.]

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 27,409

Right, for $100 less you can still get a Pany LX5 with the amazing new Firmware 2.0, a 24mm lens instead of 28mm, but no OVF. Still the best choice out there. But maybe in a year or two, when they've ironed out the bugs?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony a7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +3 more
MiTaka Regular Member • Posts: 353
Re: Fuji X10 Compact coming this fall

The full details are available now:

• 12Mp EXR CMOS 2/3", ISO 100-3200, 12800 at 3Mp;

• 28-112mm f2,0-2,8 lens, 11 elements in 9 groups, 3 aspherical 2 ED. Lens stabilization moving 5 of the elements;

• Optical viewfinder coupled with the zoom, 3 glass elements and 2 glass prisms;

• 10 fps at 6Mp, 7fps at 12Mp;

• Shutter speeds 30 sec to 1/4000, at open apertures the same limitation for shutter speeds as x100 applies;

• all EXR modes, film simulations, and 2 custom modes;

• LCD 2,8" 460?, life histogram, focus and dof scale;

• Full HD, H.264;

• zoom ring acts as an on/off switch;

• flash hot shoe - fuji ttl as x100.

• leather case and lens hood available and sold seperately

• NP-50 battery

• dimensions 117/70/57 mm - W/H/D

-- hide signature --

Dimitar Ivanov

Photohobbyfun Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

Well we don't know what the firmware is going to be like. The lens is pretty bulky but if the image quality delivers then it'll be fine. Just as importantly will be the quality of the ovf. I wonder how bright and big it is given the sensor.

Photohobbyfun Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

Wow looks nice. Now we just need some hands on reports so we know what the quality of the ovf is. I wonder what information is going to be listed in the ovf if any.

prototype7 Junior Member • Posts: 40

WOW... I know many will, and already have, knocked the small-ish sensor. As a GR Digital user and fanatic I am willing to see the samples before I make a decision on that end. The photos posted above come VERY close to what I am looking for! Something that is super portable and on the less invasive side. As I have been into photography for a very long time, I have to say that I have friends that groan when I pull out the DSLR... they feel like they are on the spot. The GRD is FAR easier to get away with... and I do LOVE the images that come from that sensor. But I would really enjoy something with a bit of a zoom... and a few more control dials on the camera... especially ones that aren't glitchy!

This camera, if it comes out similar to what's posted here... may be a great mix for me! I was seriously looking at the P7100 as a street shooter but this may take it's place. One of the main items I am wanting back in my digital arsenal is a viewfinder... optical or EVF would be okay... although I would prefer something that will allow me to adjust focus through the viewfinder. I would even love the idea of an actual rangefinder... I know, I can't afford an M9... even a digital EVF with rangefinder qualities or simulation would be great! I seriously can't understand why this has fallen by the wayside with the pros still relying on them for their SLR's. Why hasn't a good, accurate viewfinder digital been created by now. It's agrivating. Then again, if a new LX is supposed to come out with a viewfinder, I may have to wait.

I guess it's all speculation up until the announcement, but the last post with photos... just really makes me drool. One of the only nits I have is that there seems to be a "zoom ring", instead of an aperture ring. Dissapionting... but that could be fixed with dual command dials.
Again, I'm just dreaming right now... but I welcome any discussion.
-- http://www.luckylens.blogspot.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads