Long shoulder strap for E-PL2

Started Aug 5, 2011 | Discussions
xMichaelx Regular Member • Posts: 125
Long shoulder strap for E-PL2

Hello all!

I just got an E-PL2. So far, so good. But the strap it came with is about 10 inches too short. I wear my cameras slung over my shoulder, across my chest. I'd like the camera to sit at about waist-level (I'm tall), but instead it hangs at about navel-level.

This is the same problem I had with my Olympus DSLR, BTW. But that was less of a problem because I didn't have to hold the camera out away from me in order to use it.

Any (preferably cheap) suggestions on longer straps? I don't need bells and whistles (pads, brackets, etc.) -- just a plain old strap.

Chas2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,427
Re: Long shoulder strap for E-PL2

Op Tech

I particularly like this one with the memory foam....even for my GH1 which is not heavy.

http://optechusa.com/straps/envy-strap.html

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 512

Hi Michaelx:

If you prefer to wear your camera slung across your chest, you should look at a sling strap. They're not the cheapest way to carry your camera, but they're great.

BlackRapid (www.blackrapid.com) makes some great ones, and attaching the camera to the tripod mount makes for a really stable and balanced way to cary the camera. The RS4, SnapR line, and RS-Sport 2 will all meet your needs.

I have a Luma LoopIt (www.luma-labs.com), which is great because it's very low profile and the lanyard makes it really easy to attach/detach the camera, but it ends up being not much cheaper than the RS4 because it doesn't include a tripod mounting point; you have to buy it separately (I just bought Black Rapid's mounting point because it's cheaper than Luma's and works just fine). Were I doing it again, I might just go with the SnapR and ditch the bag part of the SnapR.

There'll be another on the market sometime in the near future, as well. A Kickstarter-funded project called Lens Loop is making cross-body camera straps out of seat belt material ( http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/650793793/lens-loop-a-better-camera-strap?ref=live ).

xanax77 Regular Member • Posts: 261
Tamrac TAN45B

N-45 Foam Padded Leather

OP xMichaelx Regular Member • Posts: 125

Thanks, all. Not sure which I'll buy yet, but you've given me some good leads.

knylen New Member • Posts: 12

Gordy (gordyscamerastraps dot com) makes leather straps to order in various styles.

I have one for my X100 and one for my G3, each of which was under $30 for a 50-inch length.

One strap he makes is adjustable, one is a sling style, and he'll make a simple leather strap of any length you specify. Takes about a week to get them.

Not really cheap, but they do look great with the retro-style cameras, and they're good quality, well made straps.

knylen's gear list:knylen's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 512

I forgot about Gordy; yeah, I have a wrist strap from them and it's awesome. Highly recommended.

knylen wrote:

Gordy (gordyscamerastraps dot com) makes leather straps to order in various styles.

I have one for my X100 and one for my G3, each of which was under $30 for a 50-inch length.

One strap he makes is adjustable, one is a sling style, and he'll make a simple leather strap of any length you specify. Takes about a week to get them.

Not really cheap, but they do look great with the retro-style cameras, and they're good quality, well made straps.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads