Camera stores in Boston?

Started Aug 3, 2011 | Discussions
Bizzarrini Contributing Member • Posts: 517
Camera stores in Boston?

Hi Guys,

I'll be travelling to Boston, MA end of this month, and I'm considering to buy a few camera-related items while I'm there. Are there any good shops in Boston that carry m43 gear?

Thanks a lot!

Bizzarrini's gear list:Bizzarrini's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +23 more
Bootstrap Forum Pro • Posts: 20,999
Re: Camera stores in Boston?

Look up Michael Meissner. He's in the area and knows the stores.
--

Bill Turner

If you don't know where you're going, you'll never get there. -- Yogi Berra

OP Bizzarrini Contributing Member • Posts: 517

Wow, that was quick! Thanks for the reply, I'll send him a message!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +23 more
Geekapoo
Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,498

Hunts photo....stores throughout Boston. Also, Best Buy does have the panny GF2 and a low end oly.

Richard

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +8 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 29,391

Bizzarrini wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'll be travelling to Boston, MA end of this month, and I'm considering to buy a few camera-related items while I'm there. Are there any good shops in Boston that carry m43 gear?

Ages ago I bought stuff from Hunt's Drug (then in Melrose), which has now morphed into... http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/ definitely worth a look at.

Regards........... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 +1 more
sdh Regular Member • Posts: 205

Newtonville Camera, Newton MA

http://www.newtonvillecamera.com/

sdh's gear list:sdh's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 NEX5R Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Maaarshy New Member • Posts: 6

I would also recommend Bromfield Camera right in downtown Boston. I have bought a number of m4/3 cameras and lenses from them, including my new E-P3. Nice guys and they have a pretty good selection!

http://www.bromfieldcamera.com/

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to visit these shops!

Geekapoo
Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,498

Bizzarrini wrote:

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to visit these shops!

Yes....THANKS.....I have been in Boston since 1989 and Hunts has been my "go to" store.....had not thought about Newtonville and didn't know about Bromfield.

Cheers

Richard

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +8 more
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 25,677

Bizzarrini wrote:

Hi Guys,

Hunts in Melrose, MA ( http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/ ) is my store, and they carry a full line of both Olympus and Panasonic cameras. They have some smaller stores, including in Boston and Cambridge, but be sure to call to see if they have what you want. If you call ahead of time, I'm sure they can move gear to the smaller stores. Melrose is north of Boston, maybe 15 miles, just south of the I-95/128 highway. FWIW, my saleswoman is Kathryn and she shoots 4/3rds (E-5, E-620).

I haven't been in Newtonville ( http://www.newtonvillecamera.com/ ) in a long time, but I did buy my E-1 there many years ago. I don't know what they carry these days.

I saw a lot of posts about The Camera Company ( http://www.cameraco.com/ ) in Norwood carrying Olympus 4/3rds gear. I haven't been there myself.

Other big camera stores that may or may not do m4/3rds:

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus TG-860 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +20 more
pnb Regular Member • Posts: 231

Good list and write-up Michael!

EP Levine moved to their current location last year. They focused on support for professional photographers, film and videographers. I work near where their store had been and have not seen their new place which they thought would be much more retail oriented. They did carry Olympus Pen cameras as auxiliary bodies for their Leica customers and were very pleased with the feedback. I bought a variety of used OM lenses there for very reasonable prices.

Years ago, I worked oposite from Bromfield Camera. They are a much smaller shop, but reputable. If it is still there, avoid the camera store next door. I know several people who had bad experiences.

The main Hunt's store has the widest inventory I know of, but I have not been to Newtonville.

Enjoy your trip to Boston Bizzarrini!
Peter

pnb's gear list:pnb's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 25,677

pnb wrote:

Good list and write-up Michael!

EP Levine moved to their current location last year. They focused on support for professional photographers, film and videographers. I work near where their store had been and have not seen their new place which they thought would be much more retail oriented. They did carry Olympus Pen cameras as auxiliary bodies for their Leica customers and were very pleased with the feedback. I bought a variety of used OM lenses there for very reasonable prices.

I recently was in the area, and I stopped by the new facility, but each time it was after hours, so I haven't seen inside. I vaguely recall their old place by the airport.

Years ago, I worked oposite from Bromfield Camera. They are a much smaller shop, but reputable. If it is still there, avoid the camera store next door. I know several people who had bad experiences.

They were able to send out a 4x5 Speed Graphic body I acquired for cleaning. I recall when I went in there, how packed things were.

The main Hunt's store has the widest inventory I know of, but I have not been to Newtonville.

Newtonville has about 1/2 or 1/3 the retail floor space of Hunts' Melrose location (though recently, Hunts has widened the aisles, so they actually have less stuff on display than they did a few years ago).

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus TG-860 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +20 more

Thanks a lot, I'm sure I will! I've lived in Boston for a couple of months a few years back (didn't even have a digital camera back then!). Really curious to see how I experience it now!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads