Life at 50mm

Started Aug 2, 2011 | Discussions
paulhome Contributing Member • Posts: 841
Life at 50mm

i thought id do a short lens comparison of 3 quite common 50mm primes.
Pentax-m smc 50mm f1.4
Konica hexanon 50mm f1.7
Carl zeiss jena ddr 50mm f2.8

Pentax50mm
cost: £50 was a good price from a dealer. they go for £70+ on ebay

adaptor: (pk) £20 ebay quite light,mid sized pk feels the weakest of all the fittings,but it easy to use. infinity focus is early at 15meters.

review: love it to bits, doubt i will be using anything else for a while,smooth and a joy to use. If you check the shots taken you will notice that under floresent light the WB on the NX100 doesnt work on this lens. i havent got a clue why, but as a raw shooter it doesnt matter to me(image is fine in viewfinder,just sets WB wrong after the shot is taken in autoWB).If you see one at a good price get it,this lens will never devalue 9/10

Konica50mm
cost:£10 was a real nice price think they go on ebay for £30ish

adaptor: £20 ebay quite light,smallest sized of the 3 and the best to use. infinity focus is early at 20meters.

review: this is a tank on a lens, if i ever enter a war zone this puppy is a no brainer, a real mans lens. It just looks and feel the part, rather than tucking you samsung on your back when you see the common or garden canon550 user walking towards you, you wear it on your chest and watch them run.easy to use great results always sharp.aperture is quite stiff but has more notches than the other 2, even though it maxes at f16 (f22 on other 2).I cant imaging that there is anyone who has used this lens would have a bad word to say about it.WB is slightly off but only very slightly,seems to slightly over expose so best used at -1/3. 9/10

zeiss50mm
cost:£10 with a body but needed a strip down service.sell on ebay £15ish

adaptor: m42 £20 from ebay,large and heavy but very solid. infinity is spot on here.

review: f2.8 ... wake me up!. this is a good solid lens but dull as dishwater.there is nothing wrong with it and has a very good min focus of 35cm (other 2 are 45cm ish).sharp and good WB.7/10

samsung20-50mm and 50-200mm used as a baseline .20-50mm @ f5.6 struggles indoors. 50-200mm with IS is a solid bit of kit @f4

real world comparison,images here. but IQ is sort of irrelevant due to differing F stops. Notice the WB and exposure moreso though.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulrs/sets/72157627338333684/with/6000978853/
follow to see all sizes for large 10meg files

speed indoor
all at iso800 under florescent light,using lowest F
samsung 50-200 @f4 1/40
samsung 20-50mm @f5.6 1/15
Zeiss @f2.8 1/60
Konica @f1.7 1/160
Pentax @f1.4 1/250
my choice is the pentax.

paulhome's gear list:paulhome's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Polythene Forum Member • Posts: 90
Re: Life at 50mm

Interesting post, for some reason I had never thought about the cheap secondhand lens and adaptor ebay route. What is the downside to this? can it only be used in manual mode? And how do you adjust the aperture of the lens?

Thanks in advance

OP paulhome Contributing Member • Posts: 841

With old manual lens you adjust the aperture on the lens itself. Basically you use A or M,its all very easy and a lot more fun than auto focus lenses

Fujifilm X-E1

Yeah, I had no idea old 50mm lenses were so cheap on ebay!

You can sleep well tonight knowing you have inspired at least 1 person

My Pentax lens adaptor arrived today (£15 from Hong Kong).

Also got two F1.7 50mm lenses coming, so i'll be sure to post pics

socal4142 Regular Member • Posts: 279

Polythene wrote:

My Pentax lens adaptor arrived today (£15 from Hong Kong).

Also got two F1.7 50mm lenses coming, so i'll be sure to post pics

Browse this forum and you'll find a bunch of examples (and ideas) of all sorts of older MF lenses that people are using on their Samsung bodies with these same inexpensive adapters. You're aware of how to use the "OK" button to zoom, to make manual focusing easier, right?

What do you mean about using the OK button to 'zoom', Is that like the focus assist function?

OP paulhome Contributing Member • Posts: 841

pressing the ok button will digital zoom to x2 . very helpful for manual focusing.
I just love pentax lenses. did you get the adapter from the pototoman ?.

Fujifilm X-E1

I just got one of the dumb adaptors from Hong Kong on eBay. Arrived surprisingly quickly!

Vidago Forum Member • Posts: 79

Humm... I must warn you that "old manual focus lenses" are a dangerous addition, I just bought another one

Vidago's gear list:Vidago's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
hpchan
hpchan Contributing Member • Posts: 648

Can you share your experience with other NX users?
Which Old lenses have problem? May be solve by others.
--
hpchan

hpchan's gear list:hpchan's gear list
Samsung NX100
Vidago Forum Member • Posts: 79

I think the only "problem" is for my wallet :(.

Over the years I have bought a series of old lenses, none is perfect, but almost all have a "soul" I do not find in most modern lenses.

Vidago's gear list:Vidago's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
discusaigon Junior Member • Posts: 38

I agree with the choice,

I use a manual minolta MD 50 mm1.7 Rokkor I had from the old stuff of my father, I just bought an adaptator from HK for 28€ and now that I'm used to the manual focus, I prefer this to use this lense.

I went to hollyday lwith this one and the samsung 30 mm and finaly I only used the 50 mm for all my hollydays, the 30 mm stayed in the bag.

hpchan
hpchan Contributing Member • Posts: 648

for control of Flare; a little tool develop by NX100 user can help!!
--
hpchan

hpchan's gear list:hpchan's gear list
Samsung NX100
photo444 Regular Member • Posts: 109

A neat idea for controlling flare and stray light! How do you mount them on your lens? Piece of tape or better idea?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads