Color space problem with D7000/Lightroom

Started Aug 2, 2011 | Discussions
cris0631 New Member • Posts: 7
Color space problem with D7000/Lightroom

Using my D7000, I took some long exposure shots. Used the default the sRGB color space and standard picture control on the camera. I used a blue led key chain light to light up a drinkin glass. When I imported it to lightroom the picture looked blotchy. I had to adjust the camera calibration to camera standard to get it back the way it should look. This is the the first time that this has ever happened to me. All other pics that I shot seem pretty accurate using the default adobe standard and not blotchy at all, of course they weren't long exposure shots.

Am i doing something wrong?

Should i change the color space that I'm using on the camera?

Here are some pics...

blotchy...using adobe standard when imported

better...changed the lightroom camera calibration to camera standard

OP cris0631 New Member • Posts: 7
Re: Color space problem with D7000/Lightroom

BUMP!

The Big One Veteran Member • Posts: 4,564

A few comments on this:

1. This is not a color space issue. This is a camera calibration issue.

2. When shooting raw, picture control does nothing.

3. The Adobe Standard tends to give high contrast, high 'punch' images, at the risk of blowing highlights / overdarkening shadows. The Camera standard profile is much closer to the standard picture control on camera.

4. In this particular case, the problem is that the blue channel is clipping (both high and low) when you use Adobe standard, whereas the camera standard does not push the contrast as high. The clipping is causing the blue to look blotchy, as there is not enough data to provide a good gradient.

Personally, I leave my default import setting to 'camera standard'; I find that the colors tend to be a bit more natural with this setting (I have a hardware calibrated monitor). I can then adjust things as I see fit. The Adobe standard setting tends to blow the red channel on the faces (leading to poor colors and in extreme cases posterization), while making shadows too dark.

Hope this helps a bit...

Cheers
--
--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more
Leo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,414

My new D7000 (1200 clicks) set to RAW. I have created camera profile ising x-Rite CC24 Passport with its DNG Profile editor. The first created profile was not very accurate one but the second spot on (+ -2-3%) for RGB color values for each patch including grey scale.

I would consider the colors very acurate. I am using Lightroom also. Adobe provided D7000 profiles were not very accurate for my D7000.
Leo

Leo's gear list:Leo's gear list
Pentax K-S2 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR

Leo wrote:

My new D7000 (1200 clicks) set to RAW. I have created camera profile ising x-Rite CC24 Passport with its DNG Profile editor. The first created profile was not very accurate one but the second spot on (+ -2-3%) for RGB color values for each patch including grey scale.

I would consider the colors very acurate. I am using Lightroom also. Adobe provided D7000 profiles were not very accurate for my D7000.
Leo

Hi Leo,

Would you be willing to share your profile? I realize a lot depends on the specifics of your setup, but I would be interested in playing with the profiles, and seeing if it makes much of a difference to me. Feel free to PM me and I can get you my email address...

Cheers
--
--Wyatt

Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more

No problem - Send me your email to:

nucleonb@yahoo.com

My email should be listed in my Forum profile
Leo

jfk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,048

Leo,

What did you do different the second time around to get the patches to match. Would you mind explaining.
Thanks
jfk

I have photographed the CC24 around 8AM with even fog from the Ocean covered all visible sky. It was very diffused light. The card patches notecibly reflect light differently based on the light angle. I wish the card would be made of noreflective plastic.
I have read somewhere that the cCC24 does not last long.
Leo

jfk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,048

Interesting find. I've usually shot mine in bright sunlight, then shade to run a dual-luminant profile. Even with a single image the patches do not correspond to the rgb values. I will have to retry on an overcast day.
I PM'd you to try your profile if you don't mind.

I've also loaded the package of PSKiss profiles for a number of different cameras. For $10 it is well worth the price.
jfk

I have mailed you my D7000 profile. As I lernt with my two E-620 the ptofile is the best for the camera when prepared for this particular camera. I have photographed a series or paintings and it is the only way to reproduce the colors correctly. Adobe generric profiles (for ex) have not work well for my this assignment. Camera set to RAW, Adobe Lightroom.
Leo

Thanks, Leo!

I can definitely see a difference in this profile vs. the other ones... I am going to have to try some controlled shots to see which I like best, but at first glance it does seem to render skin tones nicely. I do agree with you that it is best to calibrate on a per-camera (and probably per-light-environment) basis. Sigh... I may have to try to find the passport now. More money that I don't have!

Cheers
--
--Wyatt

Another question for you, Leo,

When you were making the profiles, did you use the Dual Illuminant method, or the single DNG method? Reading about how this works, it sounds like the Dual Illuminant method is recommended for 'generic' profiles, while the single DNG method is best for one-off custom profiles. (For the dual illuminant method, you shoot two shots in different light; e.g. daylight and tunsten, and the software can extrapolate a wider range of conditions from that).

Just curious...

Cheers
--
--Wyatt

The Big One wrote:

Another question for you, Leo,

When you were making the profiles, did you use the Dual Illuminant method, or the single DNG method? Reading about how this works, it sounds like the Dual Illuminant method is recommended for 'generic' profiles, while the single DNG method is best for one-off custom profiles. (For the dual illuminant method, you shoot two shots in different light; e.g. daylight and tunsten, and the software can extrapolate a wider range of conditions from that).

Just curious...

Cheers
--
--Wyatt

Because I photograph RAW the dual method is not critical my be because the sensor-file path is linear. However, I would do multiple profiles if the camera set to JPG, probably taking CC24 and creating a profile for critical photography every time when the lighting environment changed. Also at higher ISO D7000 dynamic range is more limited and add to this in-camera JPG processing. I do not have experience with JPG simply because its use is more time consuming.
Leo

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads