Canon Pro 9000 Mark II question

Started Jul 29, 2011 | Discussions
jmac35 Forum Member • Posts: 94
Canon Pro 9000 Mark II question

Just bought this printer figuring it was wireless. Bad call on my part.

Is there any sort of wireless adapter or what's the best way to print from my laptop otherwise? Just a USB 2.0 cable?

Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 18,558
Re: Canon Pro 9000 Mark II question

USB 2.0 cable. Note that the printer has two USB ports. One is in the front. The other is in the rear. You want the one in the rear.

You can also use a wireless USB hub:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=wireless+usb+hub&oe=utf-8&hl=en&cid=9787915055110713695&sa=title#p
--

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
Been there.

See this thing: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Wireless-server-Pricom-C-6700WG/dp/B0027423P2

I don't have it and fought with some Linksys printer router and another Cisco router and they were fighting against the AT&T wireless DSL router and the whole thing was a big mess. The one listed above is also in Canon's website as the preferred router if you want wireless (hence the C prefix designation). I tried my older Canon Bluetooth plug-in wireless dongle and it doesn't work on the 9000 Mark II as that USB port on the front of it is a Pic-Bridge and not really a USB port. Those USB jacks are not always what one thinks they are.

For now, I'm using a 20 foot USB cable without issues. The Silex Pricom C-6700WG router may be my next step but I need to find out if it will interfere with the AT&T DSL wireless router. AT&T support is sort of worthless, imho, when you have interfering signals or anything else. All this RF stuff is getting to be a big mess -- and I won't mention the costly Bluetooth wireless mess I got into either!

Mack

CaptnWil Regular Member • Posts: 270

A Belkin wireless hub works great with two laptops and Pro9000 and HP laser. No problems at all.

Either computor can print to either printer. Both printers can be used at the same time so long as one of the computers is trying to operate the printer used by the other computer

Good luck,
Wil

PK62
PK62 Senior Member • Posts: 1,005

So, how do you like it otherwise? I'm thinking of ordering one today with the rebates that are offered. Any advice?

PK62's gear list:PK62's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
OP jmac35 Forum Member • Posts: 94

Haven't fully put it through its paces yet, but so far it is one heckuva printer. I had a Canon Pixma MG6120 and was very happy with it. People often couldn't believe I could make such quality prints at home. So I did a few reprints of some of my favourite photos using the 9000 and the colour accuracy and details are much better.

Even my wife noticed an obvious difference, which is big, because her usual response would be, "So, why did you print these photos again?!?"

So far, after getting over the lack of built-in wireless, the 9000 is a real winner ... oh yeah, it is quite large, keep in mind!

PK62

Good to know, think I'll go for it!!

Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
DonR Regular Member • Posts: 317
For PK62...ref 9000 MKII

PK62........Not sure where you are in the USA but check out Craigslist for this unit. There are lots of them for sale around $175.00 or so....brand new in sealed boxes. Only thing missing is the UPC code from the side of the box as they got the rebate back from Canon. I have 2 of these that I got on Craigslist...full warranty applies from Canon It looked to me that you were going to "order" one from a store......not sure what they sell for but I've seen them go as low as $150.00 on Craigslist.
--
The very last thing you do.... release the shutter.

Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 18,558
Re: For PK62...ref 9000 MKII

With current rebates, they're about $48 I think. There's some arm waving you have to do to get it down to that level. I didn't bother with that since I got it with a DSLR, so the $400 rebate applied.

Canonrumers indicates a new rebate that's even better. You might want to follow this link if you're in the market for one of these. Note that if you will be doing a lot of printing, ink and paper will cost more than the printer.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/07/additional-rebates-on-the-9000-mark-ii-9500-mark-ii-via-canon-usa-tomorrow/

DonR wrote:

PK62........Not sure where you are in the USA but check out Craigslist for this unit. There are lots of them for sale around $175.00 or so....brand new in sealed boxes. Only thing missing is the UPC code from the side of the box as they got the rebate back from Canon. I have 2 of these that I got on Craigslist...full warranty applies from Canon It looked to me that you were going to "order" one from a store......not sure what they sell for but I've seen them go as low as $150.00 on Craigslist.
--

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
PK62

Now I'm rethinking this purchase. What's wrong with these printers ? Why are they offering such large rebates? Maybe just a newer model coming out?

DonR Regular Member • Posts: 317

Nothing wrong with these printers at all.

Just creative marketing by Canon...basically give away the printer to help close the sale on a high end DSLR's from Canon. They know that most will get resold on Craigslist etc....but here's the bottom line....they will sell more ink. Epson, Canon, HP etc make next to nothing on the printers and make huge amounts on ink....so the more printers the more ink.

Years ago Nikon gave away to dealers the nice leather cases if you bought X amount of new Nikon film bodies at one time for stock. The dealers "resold" the cases for list price. Made a little on the body and alot (pure profit) on the cases. Same with skylight filters .

This is a great printer and I've seen very little that can out print it. Not trying to start a flame war...just my opinion. They print quick, great color out of the box. You can print on a variety of papers and print exceptional large (13" x 19") prints. You can easily refill your own cartridges and save alot of money. Inks for Canon printers are available from lots of on line places. Most deliver great results. Search for 'irvwiener' he has posted lots of good info on thrid party inks for Canon.

Enjoy the printer, hope you have some counter space, it's pretty big.
--

GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

Might be a new printer in the works too. Probably wireless. Epson has been doing some heavy rebates stuff on the R3000 lately too, but no where as deep as Canon has but you might have to buy a few more Canon goods too. I got mine off Craigslist for $200 and no issues. The San Fran. Bay area is the cheapest in California for some reason on Craigslist.

I don't know about the warranty though since the buyer has to send in the info to Canon and the UPC as proof. I don't know if Canon applies a warranty to the second buyer, but for $200 or whatever I ain't complaining as it's been working so far.

Even if some are now getting the thing for $50 with a new camera purchase as in the newest rebate, these printers must cost nothing to Canon to make. I know Epson ink at $4,700 a gallon (about $1 per ml) is an absolute steal - for them!

Nice printer, but might want to look into the aftermarket ink guys too. Some refillable ink tanks, chip re-setter, and ink might go for $100 or so and give you plenty of refills for the cost of the 6-8 Canon ink carts in it.

Mack

PK62

None of these printers on Craigslist where I live. Still it's only about $150. after rebates. I think I'll order it tomorrow. The ink on my HP Photosmart 8450 doesn't last at all, so I can't believe the Canon can be any worse. Thanks again.

OP jmac35 Forum Member • Posts: 94

Good call. I applaud anyone who searchs out the best deal, but I paid $299 Cdn for the printer a couple days ago and I'm happy with it. Just printed a few 8x10s and it is exceptional.

If you are on the fence after hearing about all the second hand (brand new) deals, don't worry about it ... it's worth every penny, even at photo store prices.

If you aren't big on trusting craigslist or ebay, this printer is still a good choice at 'full' retail price.

jmac

PK62

Just got it and I love it! Colors are much truer than with my older HP. Thanks everyone.

Rosanne Cleveland-King New Member • Posts: 2

Thank you for this; I have two of these great printers, one still in the box that I got with my Canon 7D.  I have another computer in the kitchen that I use frequently in the cold weather, and would love to have a wireless setup for my printers.  I didn't think of Belkin, and your post is so helpful!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads