Pentax Q = Perferct divers camera ?

Started Jul 29, 2011 | Discussions
Joachim Haagen Boe Regular Member • Posts: 317
Pentax Q = Perferct divers camera ?

The way I see it, A Pentax Q with a good quality housing for underwater use (down to 40 meters) wound offer:

• Image Quality equal or better to that of an LX3

• The choice of lenses that are small and compact

• A full gear, camera + lens + housing that is small and lightweight

Now, I would have liked the Q lens lineup to also include a small-sized macro, but for me, if an underwater housing ever got made, the Q could be the perfect underwater camera for my diving needs!

-- hide signature --
asw66 Regular Member • Posts: 243
Re: Pentax Q = Perferct divers camera ?

I'm not a diver, but I would have thought that underwater housings wouldn't have a great deal of latitude for different lenses. So your point about interchangeable lenses wouldn't seem to apply.

I'm happy to be wrong about this, of course.

OP Joachim Haagen Boe Regular Member • Posts: 317

Well, the way I see it, most housings wont accommodate additional space for different lenses. The more expensive SLR housings have different domes to accomodate different lenses (the domes are sort of water proof housings for the lenses themselves, with a water proof mount that can be attached to the main housing).

Since the Pentax Q is rather small though, a housing could be made that will accomodate the standard lens, as well as providing some additional space around the lens, both to allow for a longer lens, and to allow for a lens with a wider FOV. That way the house wouldnt be as expensive to make as SLR housings (no need to have interchangable domes), while still being able to accomodate a (limited) set of lenses.

Many SLR lens-domes are designed in this manner, so that it can accomodate more than one specific lens for each dome.

-- hide signature --
kenyee Senior Member • Posts: 1,522
high ISO

I always thought the F30 was the best for a long time...great high ISO...relatively inexpensive underwater case....relatively inexpensive camera+case in case it sinks

High ISO performance is what matters most underwater unless you can bring strobes down with you...

kenyee's gear list:kenyee's gear list
Pentax K20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Adrian Owerko Forum Member • Posts: 55
Re: high ISO

Send the SEATOOL guys an email... They are great at supporting Pentax, They are about to release a K-5 housing YEAH.. The Q in a housing with the Fish eye lens would be great.. Optical fish eye is way better than that software fish eye effect that some compacts do!!

Adrian Owerko Forum Member • Posts: 55

High ISO will not change the colour of the water at depth! Only strobes will do That.

For macros (which is what I mainly shoot underwater), I normally use a high power LED flashlight. The LEDs give a constant light, and it doubles up as my dive-light (which I need anyways on my dives).

I've gotten OK results previously with the LED flashlight and my Canon A95 compact (ancient, I know, but still).

In my thinking, the Q will definately blow the A95 out of the water (pun intended )
--
All The Best,
Joachim
http://album.haagen.name/
http://photo.haagen.name/

Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,563
Q of Borg

Joachim Haagen Boe wrote:

The way I see it, A Pentax Q with a good quality housing for underwater use (down to 40 meters) wound offer:

• Image Quality equal or better to that of an LX3

• The choice of lenses that are small and compact

• A full gear, camera + lens + housing that is small and lightweight

Now, I would have liked the Q lens lineup to also include a small-sized macro, but for me, if an underwater housing ever got made, the Q could be the perfect underwater camera for my diving needs!

Being such a small camera, perhaps it can be installed inside scuba diving mask, to replace one eye with its EVF.

Zvonimir Tosic

Re: Q of Borg

As cool as that sounds, I think I would prefer to have both eyes available during the dive
--
All The Best,
Joachim
http://album.haagen.name/
http://photo.haagen.name/

il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,326

Most of the chances that the Q will not be sold in such numbers which will justify an investment for developing a proprietary underwater housing for it.

The history will probably repeat itself here as it was in the case with the Pentax 750z compact camera, which was (and IMO still is) one of the best compacts ever made. However the market showed little interest in it due to reasons other than IQ/build quality. As a result no professional underwater housings were made for the camera.

I guess the Q is unlikely to become the perfect divers camera simply because there will be no professional underwater housing for it. Though, you may be able to use the cheap plastic bag-like housings instead.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +3 more

I guess, but most of the ziplock-style underwater bags is useless once you get under water. Depending on how the buttons on the camera is designed, and how the bag is designed chances are that most of the cameras buttons will all become depressed once you get down to about 10-15 meters.

Some of the more expensive models have harder plastic on the top and back of the bag, but those generally cost more.

Besided, if im carrying equipment that costs 600 dollars or more underwater, I would like to be fairly certain that it wont leak water...

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads