S910 some images......

Started Jul 27, 2011 | Discussions
RayGuselli
RayGuselli Forum Pro • Posts: 15,052
S910 some images......

Hi

Whilst accepting the compromise re image quality v DSLR...any thoughts re these images please.

They are simply quick shots taken on a day out......

All taken with S9100 at different settings and telephoto; all processed to sharpen a little and where necessary, levels and curves...etc

Would be grateful for your thoughts and feedback.

Best wishes

Ray

RayGuselli's gear list:RayGuselli's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
harry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,305
Re: S9100 some images......

All nice images, Ray. Honestly, people should really consider S9100 as a walkaround p&s, not for photo contest, or capturing that distant flying bald eagle with free hands. I have a P50 which is less wide, less tele, has a smaller sensor, basic video, and fewer gimmicks. However, I was able to "stretch" the use of it to my best ability (see below). A S9100 would only enhance my ability if I get one someday.

-- hide signature --

HLL7575

harry's gear list:harry's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 +9 more
RayGuselli
OP RayGuselli Forum Pro • Posts: 15,052

Hi Harry
You have some lovely images there....very nice.

I guess your sentiment could be applied to all P&S cameras......

I am inevitably comparing with my Nikon DSLR's and that is wrong.....however, it might just be a natural comparison that many might make...

I am glad you feel they have come out ok....I was tempted to reconsider the purchase whilst able but must try to get over the mentality of wanting every shot to be a contest winner and realise these are family portraits and fun days out that are being captured....I am sure at 6 X 4 they will look fine.

Thanks for looking...really appreciated and a great help.

Best wishes

Ray

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
harry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,305

Basically I have a photographer's mind but am not too obsessed about "high success" rate of my photos. Still, I am usually WAY ahead and better than others in my family or circle of friends. Every time I got a few "award-looking" images from either my P50 or my D50, it's like having a dose of you-know-what to satisfy my vanity and so on, which is all it's about. As long as you could get the kind of pleasure (and have time to enjoy) from quality photos taken by yourself (AND most importantly, you KNOW how they turned out that way)., it really doesn't matter if the camera is $300 or $3,000.

-- hide signature --

HLL7575

harry's gear list:harry's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 +9 more
RayGuselli
Re: S9100 some images......any other thoughts please

My thanks to Harry for his comments...really appreciated...

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts re quality of images...

I thought they were a bit soft despite having been sharpened in Photoshop.....

Many thanks

Ray

Nikguy Regular Member • Posts: 195

Nice pictures I'm assuming some motion in the cars overall to me they are very good and what a fun camera

Ray Harry was correct in summing up the S9100. I did shoot a bald eagle from a pontoon boat (see my post) moving toward the eagle actually a series of ten shots all were great and usable even when the eagle moved. It was not to be a award winning photo but something we just came up to and I caputered the moment with the s9100. At first I wrote this camera off as only a pocket PS only but after videos and pictures I have giained respect for it better pictures and clearer than my friends s95 canon, his words not mine. I also played the pictures on a 55 inch LCDLED tv and were awesome!

It does not match my D7000 or P7000 or replace them but it does fit in my pocket and gets pictures and video like a good PS should not having a DSLR at the time. Alot of things are said about the P7000 and S9100 but I have no issues they are what they are and do it well

Nikguy's gear list:Nikguy's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Nikon Coolpix S9100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100 IV Sony RX10 II +4 more
RayGuselli

Hi

Just worried about the apparent softness.

I got the S9100 after trying the SonyHX9 because I felt the noise reduction on the Sony was too aggressive....BUT the images appeared sharper.

I am torn between returning the Nikon for the Canon SX220 OR sx230 which "appears" to have better or more consistent image quality with the opportunity to adjust shutter and aperture etc.....

I use Nikon DSLR's and hoped the 9100 would at least come close...not sure it really does.

Best wishes

Ray

Ken Rocket Junior Member • Posts: 39
some comments

Overall your photos are very good.

Looks like high iso is a problem (photos 6 and 7 - lion).

Photos 3 (1/400), 5 (1/400), 11 (1/640 - elephant) and 12 (1/500) are sharp.

Photo 1 looks oof and blurred, photo 13 looks blurred (pan), the camera probably is not fast enough for moving subjects.

Photo 4 looks oof, photos 2 and 4 poor composition IMHO.

Concerning image and lens quality, please check Imaging Resource express review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CPS9100/CPS9100A.HTM

IMHO negative exposure compensation could help photos 8 and 10 (and perhaps others).

Photo 14 is not sharp, but it is a very nice portrait.

Cheers,

Ken.

zliph New Member • Posts: 4

I know that this camera can be a bit sharper except in full zoom. Did you ever try to set the AF area mode to center? For me this helped a lot to get sharper images. You can also try to set the ISO sensitivity to Fixed range auto (max ISO 400) combined with Vibration reduction On (Hybrid). Nice photos btw.

Nikguy Regular Member • Posts: 195

Did you read the travel zoom comparisions in dpreview i can understand your concerns they rated the Nikon and Canon a being mostly equal. As I stated (which may not be fair) my s9100 beat my friends s95 (his words) both shot at max zoom 18x for the Nikon and I believ 4x for the Canon. Even in close up shots the Nikon lens seemed sharper the prevoius person had good thought on tweeking it. Not trying to sway you just giving you my impression of a camera I got as a result of a trade and really never thought it would be as good as it is, it also is a very likable travel camera to me

Nikguy's gear list:Nikguy's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Nikon Coolpix S9100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100 IV Sony RX10 II +4 more
RayGuselli

zliph wrote:

I know that this camera can be a bit sharper except in full zoom. Did you ever try to set the AF area mode to center? For me this helped a lot to get sharper images. You can also try to set the ISO sensitivity to Fixed range auto (max ISO 400) combined with Vibration reduction On (Hybrid). Nice photos btw.

Hi Zliph

Many thanks for the help.

I guess I need to play with this some more.

I do not think AF mode was set to centre.....

Iso settings were not as you said

I did not have hybrid on...

GUESS I NEED TO GIVE THIS ANOTHER GO!

I will give it another try today and see how I get om.

My thanks and best wishes

Ray

RayGuselli

Nikguy wrote:

Did you read the travel zoom comparisions in dpreview i can understand your concerns they rated the Nikon and Canon a being mostly equal. As I stated (which may not be fair) my s9100 beat my friends s95 (his words) both shot at max zoom 18x for the Nikon and I believ 4x for the Canon. Even in close up shots the Nikon lens seemed sharper the prevoius person had good thought on tweeking it. Not trying to sway you just giving you my impression of a camera I got as a result of a trade and really never thought it would be as good as it is, it also is a very likable travel camera to me

Given the other posts and yours I think I need to give this another try today..

I do not think I have had right settings....must try again.

Will take some more and feed/post back if you don't mind.

Best wishes

Ray

RayGuselli
Re: some comments

Ken Rocket wrote:

Overall your photos are very good.

Looks like high iso is a problem (photos 6 and 7 - lion).

Photos 3 (1/400), 5 (1/400), 11 (1/640 - elephant) and 12 (1/500) are sharp.

Photo 1 looks oof and blurred, photo 13 looks blurred (pan), the camera probably is not fast enough for moving subjects.

Photo 4 looks oof, photos 2 and 4 poor composition IMHO.

Concerning image and lens quality, please check Imaging Resource express review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CPS9100/CPS9100A.HTM

IMHO negative exposure compensation could help photos 8 and 10 (and perhaps others).

Photo 14 is not sharp, but it is a very nice portrait.

Cheers,

Ken.

Hi Ken

I didn't expect anyone to go into so much detail/analysis and am really glad you did and so grateful!....This is a real help.

I appreciate all you have said and am committed to give the camera another try.

The review is very helpful and illustrates that the camera CAN perform in the right hands and I need to spend more time learning it, I think.

I was on the verge of returning the camera but will have another try today and post my results......Very grateful to you and others for your help.

Really appreciated.

Best wishes

Ray

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads