thinking about getting a D200 advice please

Started Jul 25, 2011 | Discussions
OP footstepsintime New Member • Posts: 21
Re: thinking about getting a D200 advice please

sad thing is being out of work chances of me getting this camera this year is slim just hope my film cameras are up to my course work im doing this one http://www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk/index.cfm/apg/course

any one know what nickon film camera was classed as a pro model i could see what they go for

jinnyc New Member • Posts: 21

No text

Emeraldforest
Emeraldforest Regular Member • Posts: 265

The nikon f series are the pro models of the film cameras.
F f2 f3 f4 f5 and f6

I just got an f3 with the motor drive for $275(you can get one for less but I wanted the motor drive too)

The F100 is a really good nikon film camera and I have had my eye on it and the prices are sweet. I have seen good f100's go for $150.

The best deal I got was the Nikon N90s(a great prosumer camera). I got a N90s in mint condition for $71 dollars on ebay($10 of which was shipping). It is a really sweet film camera and for that price it is pretty much free. You might want to check out some of these deals on film cameras. But then you said you had a film camera?

There are deals to be had. The film bodies are the biggest score right now. I plan on taking advantage of that fact and getting some of the classic nikon bodies. As long as they are that cheap, it is hard to not become a collector:)

Keep your eye on the d200 though, you might be surprised if you can win one on auction for cheap. If you were really needing it, try to nail a f100 for $150 bucks!!
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/emeraldsprings/

i do have a film camera a pentax p30t but as yet i dont seem to get any good shots from it im waiting on 3 rolls to come back from developing had the negs scanned to cd

i used kodak color plus 200 and ektar 100

rufusm
rufusm Veteran Member • Posts: 3,036

If you plan to scan your negs I would suggest you stay with the Kodak Ektar. Very sharp and virtually grainless plus it has an additional layer in the emulsion to provide clean scans.

If you shoot black and white I suggest Ilford XP2 or Kodak 400CN, both are processed in C41 at your local lab and both scan very well and the XP2 can be printed through conventional b&w enlarger and paper. I picked up a Nikon F90 w/28-70 f3.5-4.5 for $125 a couple of years ago, terrific camera and the metering is spot on, although I still walk with an incident meter when shooting but hardly used, the Nikon meter is awesome in those series cameras.

footstepsintime wrote:

i do have a film camera a pentax p30t but as yet i dont seem to get any good shots from it im waiting on 3 rolls to come back from developing had the negs scanned to cd

i used kodak color plus 200 and ektar 100

rufusm's gear list:rufusm's gear list
Ricoh GR II Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Dan W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,403

The D200 eats batteries at least twice as fast as a D300. I was only getting 400-500 shots out of a charge. I like the accessory grip for the D200 (though the D300's is much better) and the fact it holds two batteries.

Maybe I'm fortunate--or I don't look at the LCD as much as some people. I can get a lot more than 400-500 shots out of a charge from my D200. Just today I got over 450 shots and there's plenty of battery left--3 out of 5 marks are remaining on the battery indicator.

DW
pbase.com/coaster
californiasurfpix.com

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D7000 +2 more

thank you all for the advice so far is the d200 classed as a semi pro camera ??

rufusm

The Dxx series would be considered a pro camera due to it's ergonomics, build and pro feature set and there is no higher in the DX camp.

footstepsintime wrote:

thank you all for the advice so far is the d200 classed as a semi pro camera ??

Ricoh GR II Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +6 more

ok sorry but you have lost me DXX so the d200 is entry camera or upper level

rufusm

Sorry DXXX, top shelf numbering for DX bodies. D100, D200, D300(s) and so on. 3 digit numbers.

footstepsintime wrote:

ok sorry but you have lost me DXX so the d200 is entry camera or upper level

ah so the d200 is a pro class model then

Oscarroos Senior Member • Posts: 2,914

I have a D-200 and plan to keep it until it dies. It is a great camera recognizing usable ISO is about 800 but it renders great colors and a richness in the photos.
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22388579@N08/

Oscarroos's gear list:Oscarroos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +13 more

will any nikon lens fit a d200 or is there a fitting i have to look for as im 98% going to get the d200 thanks

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery Veteran Member • Posts: 3,735

AF Nikkor (including AF-S, DX, VR and D- G-type) : All functions possible

D-type Manual-Focus Nikkor: All functions except autofocus and some exposure modes available

AF Nikkor other than D- G-type: All functions except 3D Color Matrix Metering and 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash possible

AI-P Nikkor: All functions except 3D Color Matrix Metering II, 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash and AF possible

Non-CPU AI Nikkor : Usable in [A] or [M] mode with Matrix-Metering, Center-Weighted and Spot metering available. Indication of aperture No., after user inputs the aperture f/No. and focal length f=mm by multi-selector operation.
Electronic Rangefinder usable with maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/d200_and_non-cpu_lenses/

footstepsintime wrote:

will any nikon lens fit a d200 or is there a fitting i have to look for as im 98% going to get the d200 thanks

I ♥ mine
--
Un saludo.

thanks

hi is 14500 shutter count alot or good

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery Veteran Member • Posts: 3,735

It's about 10% of theoretical shutter's mean live.

footstepsintime wrote:

hi is 14500 shutter count alot or good

Very good... when it count 150,000 actuations, it is not expensive to change the shutter.
--
Un saludo.

thank you i didnt think it sounded alot

JamesRL Senior Member • Posts: 2,341

Thats barely warmed up at 14,500. I bought mine and it had 29,000 and it was like new.

I bought mine so I could use some of my old Nikkor film lenses, and I've very happy with the results.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more

iv emailed them to see if they will hold it on a deposit

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads