Pana G3 improve touch of buttons

Started Jul 25, 2011 | Discussions
Pixel Peter Regular Member • Posts: 124
Pana G3 improve touch of buttons

The dp review of the Pana G3 says:

the DISP. Fn1 button. It's flush with the camera body and difficult to locate by touch, and you're never really sure you've actually pressed it as the tactile feedback is so weak.

I agree but found a solution.

See: http://www.flickr.com/groups/panasonicg3/discuss/72157627145303071/

-- hide signature --

PixelPeter

ElliotV Regular Member • Posts: 380
Re: Pana G3 improve touch of buttons

I have ordered something similar, in two styles, one a rounded top and the other a flat head.

tgutgu Veteran Member • Posts: 3,966
Re: Pana G3 improve touch of buttons"

Yes, you found a "solution", but that does not excuse the engineers from providing questionable designs. I wonder increasingly, why it is still so difficult to design something simple as a button. The product designers have done this thousand times and it should be known already how to do it, in what situations. It is a bad sign that bad designs still slip through into production stage. Do the engineers never test themselves.

I have similar issues with the display button of my GH2.

If you look how different the 4-way controllers at Panasonic m4/3 cameras are, you also wonder, why they haven't come up with the perfect solution yet. To me the 4-way controller of the GF2 for example has a better tactile feedback as the same thing at the GH2. But still each model comes up again with another design (see GF3), which is not always an improvement.

Pixel Peter wrote:

the DISP. Fn1 button. It's flush with the camera body and difficult to locate by touch, and you're never really sure you've actually pressed it as the tactile feedback is so weak.

-- hide signature --

PixelPeter

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II +30 more
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,041

Pixel Peter wrote:

the DISP./ Fn1 button. It's flush with the camera body and difficult to locate by touch, and you're never really sure you've actually pressed it as the tactile feedback is so weak.

I think the Panasonic engineers had great foresight to design the button as they did: it's almost impossible to accidently press it.

As far as tactile feedback (feeling of touch) -- if you press with your thumbnail rather than the fleshy part of the thumb, the feeling is much stronger, since the flesh absorbs the impact of the return action of the button, whereas the hardness of the nail transmits the impact.

A few minutes of practice and I was able to find the button w/o looking. One of its functions I've assigned is Flash Exposure Compensation when I'm in in C2-1 Mode (Macro shooting with MF and flash). Very easy/quick to access.

Good job, Panasonic!

Regards,

Richard
--
"Careful photographers run their own tests." - Fred Picker

richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha a7R II
HZP Contributing Member • Posts: 821

Yeah, good job. With a bit of luck one can change display/FN, Iso and WB at the same time. That is, if you are lucky enough to have a large thumb and the "heavy" lens 14-140 attached. Great job.

HZP's gear list:HZP's gear list
Fujifilm X-A10
_vlad Senior Member • Posts: 1,594

Yes that was an intention - it was somewhere mentioned not as a bug but a feature, not to press it accidentally, because than you have to press it several times to get back where you were. Me personally I like it as it is. On a small bodies there is very little space to position the buttons and high risk that it will be inappropiate for bigger/smaller hands. But that is probably inevitable
--
Vlad

_vlad's gear list:_vlad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
duartix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,586

Cheers Peter!

Pixel Peter wrote:

Won't these keep falling down when you bag/unbag the camera?
--
Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
eastvillager Senior Member • Posts: 1,126

I like it too. I set the Fn1 as a permanent button for flash compensation and really don't want that selected or changed by a simple mistake of pushing a button by accident because it's too large. I really find there's little need to go into Q menu or really anything other then the already brilliantly laid out IQ as it is except for flash compensation hence the Fn1 selection. Great job Panasonic.

richj20 wrote:

Pixel Peter wrote:

the DISP./ Fn1 button. It's flush with the camera body and difficult to locate by touch, and you're never really sure you've actually pressed it as the tactile feedback is so weak.

I think the Panasonic engineers had great foresight to design the button as they did: it's almost impossible to accidently press it.

As far as tactile feedback (feeling of touch) -- if you press with your thumbnail rather than the fleshy part of the thumb, the feeling is much stronger, since the flesh absorbs the impact of the return action of the button, whereas the hardness of the nail transmits the impact.

A few minutes of practice and I was able to find the button w/o looking. One of its functions I've assigned is Flash Exposure Compensation when I'm in in C2-1 Mode (Macro shooting with MF and flash). Very easy/quick to access.

Good job, Panasonic!

Regards,

Richard
--
"Careful photographers run their own tests." - Fred Picker

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Sony RX1R II Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads