G10 Lens Error

Started Jul 25, 2011 | Discussions
Hamdan Abdullah Senior Member • Posts: 1,121
G10 Lens Error

Guys, need your help. My G10 just stopped working. The lens will not retract and I cannot power off or power on. It says Lens Error and Restart Cemera... But how you restart the camera when nothing seem to function....? Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers,
Hamdan Abdullah
Canon G10, Canon 40D and Canon 600D/T3i

HenryUK Regular Member • Posts: 334
Re: G10 Lens Error

This error message is typical for Canon compacts. It indicated that the camera is not detecting any lens movement when it should. Sometimes turning the camera off and turning it on again can clear the fault, i.e. "Restart the camera".

Unfortunately the extending lens used on compact cameras is rather delicate.

Sometimes sand can get into the gears which seizes it up.

If the camera is dropped on the lens, or if the lens is restrained from extending, the lugs on the moving elements can get broken off or jump out of the tracks in the barrel cams.

It is possible to dismantle the lens and clean out sand. Broken lugs cannot be fixed easily. You can get secondhand lens units on eBay.

Canon's standard fix is to replace the whole optical unit - sensor, shutter, iris and lens. This typically costs GBP 150 or so.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Henry

HenryUK's gear list:HenryUK's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +3 more
OP Hamdan Abdullah Senior Member • Posts: 1,121

Thanks, Henry, a friend checked the G10 and found the gear broke. I need to send to Canon for repair. Just hope it won't cost me a lot. Used the camera for over two years and like it a lot. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Hamdan Abdullah

OP Hamdan Abdullah Senior Member • Posts: 1,121

Canon Malaysia just contacted me, saying I need a new lens unit and the cost is about USD130...

Cheers,
Hamdan Abdullah

choongtheone New Member • Posts: 1

Hi Hamdan,

Just curious if you have fixed your canon G10? Mine need to replace as well and not sure whether it worth to be repair for that price.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads