Pentax K series ranks below industry average in satisfaction survey

Started Jul 20, 2011 | Discussions
dinneenp Regular Member • Posts: 434
Pentax K series ranks below industry average in satisfaction survey

link- http://www.petapixel.com/2011/07/19/nikon-ranks-highest-in-online-customer-satisfaction-among-dslr-buyers/

(picture with satisfaction chart in the link)

A study conducted by market research firm J.D. Power and Associates has found that “Nikon Pro Series” DSLRs rank highest in customer satisfaction. The company surveyed 4,500 verified online DSLR buyers to find out their satisfaction across five factors: image quality, durability, features, ease of use, and responsiveness.

The Nikon Pro Series ranks highest in online buyer satisfaction with a score of 914. The Nikon Pro Series performs particularly well in shutter speed/lag time, durability and reliability and ease of operation. The Canon Mark-Series follows in the rankings with a score of 909, and performs particularly well in performance and picture quality. The Canon D-Series and Nikon D-Series rank third in a tie, each with a score of 889.

Overall, customers were most satisfied with image quality but least satisfied with durability and responsiveness
--
Pa.
http://photoblog.ie - my Photo blog, couldn't be easier to remember!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacork/ - my Flickr

dinneenp's gear list:dinneenp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Pentax K-7 Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro +1 more
mihais Regular Member • Posts: 321
Re: Pentax K series ranks below industry average in satisfaction survey

Is this a joke?

The difference from max (914 points) to min (867 points) is 47 points out of 1000. The average satisfaction index is 887 and Pentax scores 883 while another brand scores 889. is the second brand is better? The spread is so small it means nothing...well if you really want than Pentax is in line with the rest (or average if you prefer)

mihais's gear list:mihais's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) +2 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 27,280

So good of you to come here and point this out.
--
Regards Dean - Capturing Creation

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +13 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 41,164

I have to say it... i never got a call
--
Mike from Canada

"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 19,038

"Below average" is pretty meaningless in this survey. Setting aside the much higher-spec pro series, the range for the next four categories is 881 at the bottom to 889 at the top (both Canon, as it happens). That is 8/889x100 = 0.9% from top to bottom, which is statistically meaningless.

The K-series is 4 points below the overall average (which is biased upwards a bit by the pro models) - a massive 0.45% down!

The only real conclusion to be drawn from this survey is that cameras are bought by people and, on average, all people are very similar in how they judge the things they bought. Bear in mind that people buy different things for different reasons; what the survey demonstrates is that people average about 90% satisfaction with their own judgement.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1983, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,157
You are Misinterpreting Results (more)

as others have said you are misinterpreting the results. The results show a statistically insignificant difference between camera model satisfaction. I am unsurprised as I regularly make statements like "pretty much all of today's DSLR cameras are pretty good". The results make it appear that Nikon, Canon, and Pentax standard model users are equally as happy.

The only 3 that stand out are the pro level cameras are noticeably better than average and the Sony A series is worse than average, and even then the difference isn't great.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Russ Houston
Russ Houston Veteran Member • Posts: 6,377
Re: You are Misinterpreting Results (more)

viking79 wrote:

as others have said you are misinterpreting the results. The results show a statistically insignificant difference between camera model satisfaction. I am unsurprised as I regularly make statements like "pretty much all of today's DSLR cameras are pretty good". The results make it appear that Nikon, Canon, and Pentax standard model users are equally as happy.

The only 3 that stand out are the pro level cameras are noticeably better than average and the Sony A series is worse than average, and even then the difference isn't great.

Eric

That was pretty much what I was thinking as well.

On the other hand, this forum does have a lot of bitching and moaning.....

Russ Houston's gear list:Russ Houston's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Russ Houston
Russ Houston Veteran Member • Posts: 6,377
on the other hand...

...that's a fairly interesting website. I've bookmarked it for future perusing.
--
Russ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rfortson/
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/russfortson
Even bad photography can be fun

Russ Houston's gear list:Russ Houston's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Omega_Leader Regular Member • Posts: 475

Only thing to take from this is JD Power and Associates is even more of a joke than normal.

Strange how ever car ever is Best in Class*

Best midsized north american produced car with a curb weight between 3565lbs and 3568lbs.

They wouldn't know a statistician if they surveyed one.

Omega_Leader's gear list:Omega_Leader's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,968
A shining example

... of an interesting post with an unnecessarily inflammatory subject line.

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T4 Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +11 more
bkpix
bkpix Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: A shining example

What's interesting, besides the fact that just about all camera lines produce the same level of customer satisfaction, is this line from the report:

Overall, customers were most satisfied with image quality but least satisfied with durability and responsiveness.

The truth is, everybody has issues with digital camera reliability, no matter what brand.

bkpix's gear list:bkpix's gear list
Pentax KP Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +11 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,839

Yet another misleading graph with a non-zero origin. If the bars were plotted with "0" instead of "700" as the origin it would be obvious how insignificant the difference is.

paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,437
Re: You are Misinterpreting Results (more)

Russ Houston wrote:

On the other hand, this forum does have a lot of bitching and moaning.....

Customer satisfaction surveys can be deceiving, because sometimes a brand has advantages that attract more discerning customers, and thereby draw more complaints, but those complaints come from people who'd complain even louder if they were stuck with the popular mass market brand.

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax Q Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Ared Mossinel Regular Member • Posts: 259
The survey/reporter is below average or dishonest.

Those results are statistically identical. The noise on a measurement of 1000 respondents is in the neighborhood of 30 counts. Nobody in the survey is anything but average. Not the highest nor the lowest. Not to any degree of certainty that is worth money.

rgmwa Senior Member • Posts: 1,970

The difference in ranking between Pentax and Nikon is less than 4% - not worth worrying about.
--
rgmwa

exp1orer
exp1orer Senior Member • Posts: 2,813
the troll just wanted more trafic to his blog site...

look at his posting history...he didn't even bother to post a reply on the thread he started about IBIS vs ILIS.

his post about his blog site:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=38548710

his post about IBIS vs ILIS:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38902968

-- hide signature --
solarider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,887
Great Quote from TOP on the JDpowers surveys

Featured Comment by Dennis:

"My satisfaction with my DSLR is vastly higher than my satisfaction with J.D. Power surveys ."

-- hide signature --

At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell

Villamarcel Regular Member • Posts: 261
Re: Great Quote from TOP on the JDpowers surveys

Good point !
--
Regards
Francois

mihais Regular Member • Posts: 321

Sean Nelson wrote:

Yet another misleading graph with a non-zero origin. If the bars were plotted with "0" instead of "700" as the origin it would be obvious how insignificant the difference is.

you are right and you know that data analysis is a funny subject. I remember a book by Nassim Taleb (Fooled by randomness) where I saw this example on statistics: a reporter who wanted to write a book about GW Bush looked at 10000 TV appearances, 28000 articles about him and 100 books. In none of these recorded events GWB died. From a statistical point of view GWB should be immortal.
Here is the real graph:

mihais's gear list:mihais's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) +2 more
sinus007 Regular Member • Posts: 468

Hi,
As others pointed out this survey is sham.

As it was noted many times here and other forums, JDPA better stick to cars. Though, even there they goof a lot.

AK

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads