70-200 VR II-Metallic flakes again

Started Jul 20, 2011 | Discussions
ofior Contributing Member • Posts: 583
70-200 VR II-Metallic flakes again

Swear I serched for this before I posted, but did not find anything conclusive.

I just received one of these that I bought refurbed from Nikon. Seems to work great, no issues, but looking inside I can see metallic flake effect tha some complained about in the past. Has it ever been determined what that is? Has anyone experienced problems because of it? Some claim they are metal shavings, if that is the case, would they not be loose, and damage the close tolerance mechanims of the lens in a very short time?

Any thoughts?

Ozzie Fior

ofior's gear list:ofior's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,796
Re: Yes.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45930
--
Leonard Shepherd

Good photography is mainly about doing simple things well. The challenge is doing simple things well enough for good results.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +25 more
OP ofior Contributing Member • Posts: 583

Thank you!

Sony a6000 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
pete_mb Regular Member • Posts: 226

Wow, Nikon Europe obviously know more about lenses than apostrophes

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45930
--
Leonard Shepherd

Good photography is mainly about doing simple things well. The challenge is doing simple things well enough for good results.

-- hide signature --

And as evidenced by reading their message, I'd hate to suspect the opposite is true!

nirvana0001 Contributing Member • Posts: 902
Re: 70-200 VR II-Metallic flakes again

I haven't heard any problem regarding to this issue, and unlikely will be. But for $2000, I'd expect perfect molding.

Well, not perfect, but I do not really cares if the lens performs as expected and there is no consequence? You really neeed to look inside the lens to see it, just checking with other users see if there's anything to worry about.

Cheers

Ozzie

apaflo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,854

ofior wrote:

Well, not perfect, but I do not really cares if the lens performs as expected and there is no consequence? You really neeed to look inside the lens to see it, just checking with other users see if there's anything to worry about.

Cheers

Ozzie

Heh heh, use that "not perfect" lens for awhile... and then decide if you care whether some idiot thinks the molding has be be anything other than what it is!

It is an absolutely fantastic lens! On a lark I actually stacked a TC20EIII with a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC on the 70-200mm f/2.8G VRII and was astounded by the acceptable results. I would not have expected a fixed focal length lens to be good enough for that.

Here is a 100% crop from an image shot with stacked TC's. ISO is 3200, shutter speed was 1/5000, aperture was stopped down to f/9 (maximum for that combination is f/8) and the camera is a D3S. (That is a King Eider duck, in an open lead in the Arctic Ocean ice about two miles offshore from Barrow Alaska on May 13,2011.)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads