Rear control dial suddenly non functional on K5

Started Jul 19, 2011 | Discussions
Ken Knott Regular Member • Posts: 276
Rear control dial suddenly non functional on K5

So it would seem that the control dial on the rear of my K5 has suddenly simply stopped working. I cannot adjust ISO, aperture, zoom in/out of photo's, etc...

It just happened overnight with no trauma preceding it...

Has anyone experienced this? Is there anyway to further diagnose it? Or possibly to fix it???

Thanks,

Javaslinger

bricko Regular Member • Posts: 296
Re: Rear control dial suddenly non functional on K5

This issue has been seen on both the K7 and K5. My K7 had it happen and had to send it back to get it repaired. Its an issue with the lube they put on the contacts etc. It seems to need a conductive type lube to keep contacts. Although some I believe have used a contact type cleaner to fix it...but I sent mine back to let them do it, that's how I found out about what the issue is when I quizzed the tech on what was up.

kuuan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,663
 kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +1 more
OP Ken Knott Regular Member • Posts: 276

Do you have to open it up? Or can you just spray in/around the wheel?

Can someone recommend a cleaner and where to get it?

Thanks,

Javaslinger

jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,793

kuuan wrote:

as mentioned by 'bricko' a 'contact spray' should / could do the trick
--
http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/andreasgriesmayr
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=kuuan

The K-5 is sealed. The edial has an oring seal for the shaft. In fact I think the grease is to aid the oring seal. Either say send it in as the area is sealed and you do not want to destroy the sealing in any way.

I just got my K20D back from service from CRIS (USA Pentax service center). They replaced the rear edial (erratic operation at times; 38,000 clicks). They did a great job tuning the camera with the warranty work! Anytime you send in your dSLR all functions are checked... But spraying contact cleaner into an area that has a lot of sealing material???

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +13 more
OP Ken Knott Regular Member • Posts: 276

Yeah, just not excited about being out a camera for a month...

kuuan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,663
 kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads